Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brooking allegedly new starting MLB
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elliot878 wrote:
Nate Irving looked great on his one snap when Von got hurt. I say give him a shot!
+1
At the least he's faster than Brooking and smarter (football wise) than Mays. Happy medium?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe_is_the_best wrote:
elliot878 wrote:
Nate Irving looked great on his one snap when Von got hurt. I say give him a shot!
+1
At the least he's faster than Brooking and smarter (football wise) than Mays. Happy medium?

Maybe.

I think its really a tough thing for coaches to evaluate players at this level just from practices, and state who would be better in the games. Best way to tell is live in game reps, thats when you really kknow how good a player is. Hopefully pretty soon its time to see how good Irving is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is so much that happens behind the scenes that goes beyond athleticism. People keep saying Fox "favours veterans" - if that is the case, why is our 6th round rookie Danny Trevathan playing extensively in our Nickel packages?

I saw Andrew Mason write the other day about how Irving struggled massively with the playbook as a rookie, and you have to wonder if that is still the case.

MUFC OK
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
There is so much that happens behind the scenes that goes beyond athleticism. People keep saying Fox "favours veterans" - if that is the case, why is our 6th round rookie Danny Trevathan playing extensively in our Nickel packages?

I saw Andrew Mason write the other day about how Irving struggled massively with the playbook as a rookie, and you have to wonder if that is still the case.

Good point. I think you can swap "Veterans" for "brains and instinct" and the statement is far more accurate.

Too much is made of combine numbers and not enough of football smarts. One misstep, one wrong move and with the speed of the game you can't recover no matter how fast you are.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
lomaxgr wrote:

Good point. I think you can swap "Veterans" for "brains and instinct" and the statement is far more accurate.

Too much is made of combine numbers and not enough of football smarts. One misstep, one wrong move and with the speed of the game you can't recover no matter how fast you are.

Exactly. To make a comparison to another sport; when playing Defense in Soccer, I would much prefer the guy who is positionally sound because he 'knows' the game than the guy who has speed to get him out of the mess he got himself into.

MUFC OK
PGeorge2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Exactly. To make a comparison to another sport; when playing Defense in Soccer, I would much prefer the guy who is positionally sound because he 'knows' the game than the guy who has speed to get him out of the mess he got himself into.

Could you compare it to a sport that people on this side of the pond have ever watched?

Just kidding! Laughing Gotta get a soccer jab in every now and then.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGeorge2 wrote:
Could you compare it to a sport that people on this side of the pond have ever watched?

Evil or Very Mad

How about ... If you have a young stud at 3rd base who has a cannon for an arm but he doesn't have the game smarts of a Veteran. So the young stud may well be able to throw out runners at 1st that others can't, but he also doesn't have the awareness to know when he should be aligned close to the foul line or the game smarts to know when he can throw out a runner at 2nd ...

That is the best I can do - not very good with Baseball stuff Embarassed

MUFC OK
iLikeDefense

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
PGeorge2 wrote:

Evil or Very Mad

How about ... If you have a young stud at 3rd base who has a cannon for an arm but he doesn't have the game smarts of a Veteran. So the young stud may well be able to throw out runners at 1st that others can't, but he also doesn't have the awareness to know when he should be aligned close to the foul line or the game smarts to know when he can throw out a runner at 2nd ...

That is the best I can do - not very good with Baseball stuff Embarassed

With baseball there are coaches/catchers and pitchers aligning their defense, it's not on the spot like football or soccer, but I understand where you are going. Should we try basketball now? Wink

^ Joe_is_the_best with the sig.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Mays rates poorly in this analysis of LBs for stopping the run:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/18/snapshot-run-stop-percentage-linebackers/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: