Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 Draft hypothetical
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think DE is a need. Hunter is above 30 and coming off injury. At this juncture does anyone see Denver signing Ayers to a new contract? Would Ayers want to stay as a rotation player? He may feel change of scenery could rejuvenate his game.
We need a DT and DE as well as a WR and MLB. These should be our first four picks. I just dont see this team drafting TE high in the draft with the investment in Driessen and Tame.
We can address OL later in the draft and free agency.

I really dont see DE as an early round need, unless we decide that Elvis isnt worth his 17M cap hit next season and decide to part ways. Unlikely IMO. I think we are good with Elvis and Wolfe in the base set. Von and Elvis in the pass rush set. Then count on Malik Jackson a bit more next year and choose to re-sign one of Hunter/Ayers. Thats a fine rotation IMO.

I would target MLB, WR, DT and DB in that order. I am very intrigued by Mathieu in the 3rd or 4th. Gives us that KR/PR guy we need, and has some exciting versatility in the secondary.
PGeorge2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
paul-mac wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
Truthfully, I only trade up for Te'o if he's dropping like a stone. Alec Ogletree can be had end of Round 1, IMO, and he's going to be good. Just needs to get his head on straight.

I would trade up for a wide receiver, personally.
I don't agree here. Not denying that we need a WR, however I think another Eric Decker would be a perfect fit to replace Stokley. Thomas, Decker and another Decker like player. Look for a receiver on day two in my opinion.

Personally would trade up for Teo or another top class MLB. Possibly a Nose Tackle as well. Think we are serviceable everywhere else so would be happy to go BPA outside of that.

Eric Decker is NOT a slot receiver. He will not be one after Stokley at all. If we had a dynamic receiving option, we'd be next level. Think all the good offenses and the players they have.

I agree we should look for another reciever, especially one who can play the slot when Stokley is done. However, are there any recievers who have the skill set to play the slot that are worth taking that high? I'd think even the best guys suited for the slot wouldn't go before the mid 2nd round.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The emphasis on DE surprises me. I think we've got three, Hunter, Beal and Blatnik on IR, and Jackson being worked in slowly in the rotation.

I though both Beal and Blatnik showed real promise in preseason and Jackson flashed brilliance. Hunter was a flat out stud!

I think we're good there, just need time and health.
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should be looking for dynamic options at WR.

Tavon Austin, the kid from Baylor whose name escapes me...both good options. Even Robert Woods...

Thanks, Tzimisce
jonnyj20

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a guy like Tavon Austin in the 2nd round?

I'll be honest, I haven't seen the guy play and I am going off projections and his size. Would he fit at slot WR or is he closer to Desean Jackson and needs to be on the outside?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know we cut him due to injury, but does anyone see us giving Eric Page another shot next season. They were really high on him until he got hurt, I believe he was the front runner for return duties. He was one of the best slot receivers in college football history.

Props to Walter on the awesome sig^
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
The emphasis on DE surprises me. I think we've got three, Hunter, Beal and Blatnik on IR, and Jackson being worked in slowly in the rotation.

I though both Beal and Blatnik showed real promise in preseason and Jackson flashed brilliance. Hunter was a flat out stud!

I am hopeful that your optimism bodes well for the future. However, lets be frank. Beal was a 7th round draft choice. Blatnik was an undrafted free agent. These are two players who have yet to play a down in the NFL. While I am hopeful both players develop, flashing potential in pre-season does not guarantee anything.

Lets assume Ayers is not brought back. The coaching staff has said ultimately Wolfe will be a full time DT. Consequently, are you comfortable going in to a season with Blatnik, Beal and Jackson as your DE rotation behind Elvis? If Dumervil gets hurt I would think we would be screwed.

New York has shown you can never have enough D line men. So I remain adamant that we could use another DE as well as a DT. I like Hunter's hustle in pre-season but calling him a stud is definitely a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge compliment. He is on the wrong side of 30 coming off a significant injury- the same injury that kept Warren out 2 years. My assessment of Hunter before he got hurt was as an adequate player closer to average than very good. Whatever the case, I am not sure this is the guy I want to pin my long term hopes on.

Best case scenario all the players we have on IR pan out and we are set. More realistically, it would not hurt to bring in another DE.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
New York has shown you can never have enough D line men.

I agree with this, but I think you are looking at the wrong DL position. We need to target another DT, not DE. I like the way Wolfe looks at DE on 1st and 2nd down. I would keep him there, while rotating him inside for obvious passing downs.

I really want the Broncos to take a DT in the top 4 rounds while also signing one (Knighton or Branch). I think Vickerson is a keeper, and Unrein is a nice rotation guy. But, Bannan is soon to be done. We need an elite DT who can stop the run and push through double teams (IMO one reason Wolfe is best suited for DE is he simply gets eaten by double teams).
mke1010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncosFan2010 wrote:
Quote:
New York has shown you can never have enough D line men.

I agree with this, but I think you are looking at the wrong DL position. We need to target another DT, not DE. I like the way Wolfe looks at DE on 1st and 2nd down. I would keep him there, while rotating him inside for obvious passing downs.

I really want the Broncos to take a DT in the top 4 rounds while also signing one (Knighton or Branch). I think Vickerson is a keeper, and Unrein is a nice rotation guy. But, Bannan is soon to be done. We need an elite DT who can stop the run and push through double teams (IMO one reason Wolfe is best suited for DE is he simply gets eaten by double teams).

I agree with one caveat. We need to focus on DT and not DE if the coaches decide to keep Wolfe in his current role permanently. If this is the case, then I think we are fine at DE. I was operating under the assumption that starting next season or his 3rd season, Wolfe would become a full time DT. I got this from what the coaches said at the beginning of the season.

If that is no longer the plan, then I see nothing wrong with having Wolfe play as a DE and sliding inside on 3rd downs. I do like Vickerson and Unrein as part of the rotation. I have been impressed with Vickerson this year. I dont think there is a difference between what he brings and what Bunkley would have brought at 10 times the cost. Bannan is probably playing his last meaningful year. So we would definitely need to draft a DT. Cheers.
Donut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
For all of those who make a case for going after a safety high... what about Q once he comes back? With Moore improved and Carter hopefully resuming play at his playoff level, we'd already have an apt safety duo. No need to draft this position in the first few rounds.

I've always preferred to have 3 S that are capable. But its hard to find a good S. If they think someone in 2nd is I'd definitely taken them.
PGeorge2 wrote:

I agree we should look for another reciever, especially one who can play the slot when Stokley is done. However, are there any recievers who have the skill set to play the slot that are worth taking that high? I'd think even the best guys suited for the slot wouldn't go before the mid 2nd round.

Tavon Austin plays the SL for WVU. I plan on watching a ton more film n WVU but he'll be what everyone want Titus Young to be.
jonnyj20 wrote:
What about a guy like Tavon Austin in the 2nd round?

I'll be honest, I haven't seen the guy play and I am going off projections and his size. Would he fit at slot WR or is he closer to Desean Jackson and needs to be on the outside?

He plays the SL. I dont even know if he takes many/ if any snaps on the outside. My friend from WVU says he's always in the SL.
bailey24broncos wrote:
I know we cut him due to injury, but does anyone see us giving Eric Page another shot next season. They were really high on him until he got hurt, I believe he was the front runner for return duties. He was one of the best slot receivers in college football history.

If they saw anything more than a camp body I think they'd kept him on IR.

As for trading up it all depends on the price.
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tavon Austin would be a great fit in a Manning offense. The guy turns short passes into big gains regularly. Really dangerous on crossing routes as well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:

Didn't Blatnik get cut from the PS to make room for Duke again?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: