Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints Fan Files $5 Million Class Action Lawsuit v. NFL
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportskid_021

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Saints Fan Files $5 Million Class Action Lawsuit v. NFL Reply with quote

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2012/10/new_orleans_saints_fan_files_l.html

Quote:
St. Tammany Parish resident David Mancina has filed a class-action lawsuit against the NFL and NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell seeking damages in excess of $5 million on behalf of himself and 2012-13 New Orleans Saints season-ticket holders. The lawsuit is a response to the suspensions handed out to Saints players and coaches for their alleged participation in the Saints' bounty program.

The lawsuit says the season-ticket holders purchased their tickets expecting "the Saints would be capable of competitively fielding a contending team comprised of the finest athletes, and the best coaches, under contract ... or available to them through normal trades and draft choices, without dictatorial, unreasonable, vindictive, and unfounded, interference from the Commissioner and the League, devoid of due process."

Quote:
Wiedemann said he took on the suit because of people expressing aggravation about the Saints situation and how it affected them. He compared it to going to a show, such as a play, where the actors had to be changed at the last minute.

"The players are suing because action has been taken against them without due process, but nobody has considered what effect it's had on the ticket holders," he said. "They go out there and support the team and the league year in and year out and they're just completely ignored."

Wiedemann said the ticket holders have been ignored since the investigation started in 2009.

"In 2012 they cut the guts out of the team," he said. "The tickets you bought have been devalued tremendously and the NFL has given no consideration to the ticket holders that are the life of the NFL. There is no due process."

I am sorry but this is totally getting out of hand, I mean if this lawsuit goes through what prevents any person from suing the NFL for any actions they take against a player....

I mean IIRC don't tickets just give fans the right to attend games nothing else? Isn't there wording to such on each ticket? Isn't that what the CBA which both the players and owners agreed to is for?

"There's only one Tree Hill, and it's your home." ~ 2003-2012
fretgod99

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No standing. No harm. No legitimate basis for a lawsuit.

Go away.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should tell this knucklehead that due process under the Constitution doesn't apply to the NFL in this case. You might want to Google a few things before you sue somebody.
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not going to win. Lawyer is probably hoping he can stiff-arm the league into settling for something.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
eagles101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont even.......i hope it cost these people thousands of dollars just to pursue this stupid law suit.

props to deadpulse
Tom Shean

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they basically saying

"Our team sucks, give us money?"
eagles101

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Shean wrote:
Are they basically saying

"Our team sucks, give us money?"

no they are saying the nfl made there team....give us money.

props to deadpulse
phinmun

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a Dolphins fan...I would like to sue for 15 years of...

...whatever this has been.

Can you at least pay the Ebay fees for my Brandon Marshall jersey! Laughing
Ketchup

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the team they rout for goes our and does something stupid and harmful like putting bounties on players and then said players and coaches get punished as they should, so they want money because said team couldn't put a competitive team together after digging their own grave? Am i getting this right?

People need to STOP blaming Goodell for this bounty crap. The Saints did this to themselves. They all need to stop whining, sleep in the bed they made like men, and stop bothering us with this trash.

Kempes on the custom sig!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frivolous lawsuit at its finest.
Deets

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really much football on this thread. Seems likely to turn into everyone complaining about the legal system.

FF Member #67
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only there was some way Goodell could counter-sue (he wouldn't, despite the devil that some people want to claim he is, because it would paint the league in a poor light to sue its fans) just to prove a point that the entitlement some fans feel is neither appropriate or correct.

Also, I agree. I really don't see how this affect the "football" of things. Therefore it's really not NFL News. I'll move it to General and monitor it.

Be forewarned anyone discussing it further. This goes off-topic even once and I won't hesitate to lock it.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not make more sense for the fans to sue to Saints an an entity for failing to live up to their end of the bargain on fielding a competitive team, complete with the finest athletes et al? (Would not work at all, but would it not make more sense, it is the Saints responsibility to put out a good team, not the NFL's)

Onto football now;

The Saints are struggling, a lot of that can likely be traced back to missing some key cogs in the process because of this bounty scandal. But is this just not suffering for the mistakes the organisation has made?
BBIB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you all know the courts ruled on legislation based on the sypgate lawsuit with a precedent so ridiculous that even if games were fixed the NFL couldn't get in trouble Laughing

So good luck with this lawsuit
mse326

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's assume they have standing (they don't).

None of the players have missed any games because of the incident, so the suspension of players is wholly irrelevant.

Williams has admitted it in an affidavit. Loomis has admited it happened and he let it continue after being told to stop. Payton has never been implicated as doing it but suspended on kind of the equivalent of "lack of institutional control" and has accepted the punishment.

So you can't call what the NFL did suspending them anything but warranted (we can argue length, but that is immaterial in this lawsuit).

This is absurd. The lawyer should be sanctioned for even filing this lawsuit.

#JDI

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: