Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Weeden so far
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:

Superior to what? Bills, Ravens, Bengals? He didn't do anything against the Eagles. The Giants run D is middle of the road. I don't really know what you're trying to say, so I can't really debate it.

That the Ravens, Bengals, Eagles and Giants are better than the 2010 Colts, 2010 Dolphins, 2010 Titans and 2010 Raiders.

And therefore Weeden's successes are more impressive than Colt's through 5 games, despite the improvement of the talent around him.
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good news / bad news tidbit. Weeden wants to maintain his aggressiveness by taking shots downfield, but he acknowledges that he needs to check down more often.

I hope he doesn't get too gun-shy.

Quote:
"It's an ego thing and I think I just need to get rid of the ego and take what they give me and move on and not be as stubborn," he said. "Just throw the football away and move on."

But the Brett Favre-like gunslinger admitted it's exceedingly hard to check down or throw it away and live to see another play.

"I want big-chunk plays; I want explosive plays," he said. "We have the capability of doing that. We have the personnel to throw it and I'm able to make those throws."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/10/cleveland_browns_brandon_weede_8.html

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
Pruitt3443

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
This is a good news / bad news tidbit. Weeden wants to maintain his aggressiveness by taking shots downfield, but he acknowledges that he needs to check down more often.

Quote:
"It's an ego thing and I think I just need to get rid of the ego and take what they give me and move on and not be as stubborn," he said. "Just throw the football away and move on."

But the Brett Favre-like gunslinger admitted it's exceedingly hard to check down or throw it away and live to see another play.

"I want big-chunk plays; I want explosive plays," he said. "We have the capability of doing that. We have the personnel to throw it and I'm able to make those throws."

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2012/10/cleveland_browns_brandon_weede_8.html

He is already near the bottom of the league in yards per pass, if he checks down any more his numbers will be lower than Colts ever were. I do not see the "gunslinger" mentality most of the time from Weeden, only when he is doing something kind of stupid and have only seen him hit one long pass unless I am forgetting one somewhere.
roger murdock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking down more will probably make his yards per pass go up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pruitt3443 wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:

Quote:

He is already near the bottom of the league in yards per pass, if he checks down any more his numbers will be lower than Colts ever were. I do not see the "gunslinger" mentality most of the time from Weeden, only when he is doing something kind of stupid and have only seen him hit one long pass unless I am forgetting one somewhere.

For the season, yes, Weeden's YPA is low, but in 5 career games, he already has 2 games above 8 YPA. By comparison, Colt had 2 games above 8 YPA for the entire year. Weeden is definitely more aggressive. Obviously, the difference also shows up in the INT count, where Weeden has way more than Colt.

Utlimately, I agree with what roger murdock just wrote, that the main thing holding down Weeden's YPA is his completion percentage. There are simply too many incomplete passes.

StewieRules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not worried about him turning into "Captain Check-down" - he just doesn't seem to have a ding & dunk mentality - actually he seems to think like Bernie used to - paraphrased Kosar once said he "believes in offensive offense, if that makes any sense. I like to throw for 1st downs & touchdowns."

Bernie found his rhythm - I think Weeden will too.
bungleodeon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:

Superior to what? Bills, Ravens, Bengals? He didn't do anything against the Eagles. The Giants run D is middle of the road. I don't really know what you're trying to say, so I can't really debate it.

That the Ravens, Bengals, Eagles and Giants are better than the 2010 Colts, 2010 Dolphins, 2010 Titans and 2010 Raiders.

And therefore Weeden's successes are more impressive than Colt's through 5 games, despite the improvement of the talent around him.

Wasn't last year 2011? Don't we play the Ravens and Bengals every season? I'm still confused.
2013: 36 Tackles - 5.5 Sacks -1 FF - 1 FR - 4 PD -2 STF
JCBrowns21

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:

Are the Colt comparisons necessary? Not fair to Weeden or Colt.

In addition to Weeden, we also drafted a RB, two WRs, and a RT. Clearly last season's offensive struggles were attributed to more than Colt.

As far as Weeden, he's improving which is good to see. He has a strong-arm, but needs to be smarter with decision-making. He would just throw it to Blackmon at OSU and he's learning he can't just do that in the pros.

I firmly believe we will be competing and winning more consistently during the last 8 games of the season.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCBrowns21 wrote:
I firmly believe we will be competing and winning more consistently during the last 8 games of the season.

I believe it also, but we must, must, must get our first win ASAP. An extended losing streak takes its toll on any team, but it's especially devastating to a young team.

bungleodeon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:

I believe it also, but we must, must, must get our first win ASAP. An extended losing streak takes its toll on any team, but it's especially devastating to a young team.

I firmly believe we can and should win this weekend.
2013: 36 Tackles - 5.5 Sacks -1 FF - 1 FR - 4 PD -2 STF
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
Estonianzulu wrote:
bungleodeon wrote:

Wasn't last year 2011? Don't we play the Ravens and Bengals every season? I'm still confused.

It was 2011, my bad. But we had not played the Ravens by the time week 5 rolled around.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bungleodeon wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
JCBrowns21 wrote:

I firmly believe we can and should win this weekend.

I think the Browns are better than their record indicates, but an 0-5 team is an 0-5 team.

Of course they CAN win, but thinking this team 'should' beat anyone is a tad homeristic honestly.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
scartownbrowns

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a fan of weeden, and I hated the pic. I think he kills it sunday and I will bet the bank we get our first win.
duke2056

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeden's last 4 games overall have been pretty decent I would say.
Still a slew of drops and just general lack of talent at WR/TE, plus a brain dead head coach..............but I certainly see the ability.

I hope he spends this entire season forcing as many passes as he possibly can. I want him to use this whole year to learn what he can and can't get away with in this league.

Using just numbers to compare him to Colt is just stupid. If you can't see plain as day that his ability far surpasses Colt's ability, then I am not sure what you are looking at other than box scores.

You can certainly see that with just a LITTLE improvement in decision making and a LITTLE more experience in the offense that his overall results can become DRAMATICALLY better.

Colt's ceiling reminded me of when I am trying to walk around in my basement and have to crouch down.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

REALLY good post duke, couldn't agree more.

The kid can make all the throws and seems to have the 'swagger' needed to play the position.

The comparison to Colt is laughable, and I like Colt. Just not as a starter.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: