Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Glenn Dorsey
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buccaneer4life

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Glenn Dorsey Reply with quote

Just curious as to how he has played the last few years for you guys. I remember him coming out of college he was supposed to be the next best thing.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's had a lot of injury issues, that while he mostly played through, has really hampered his promising career. He just doesn't seem to have the explosion he had at LSU.

Of course, he's also been used mostly as a two gapping run stuffer, not a penetrating player. So he's not been allowed to have the type of impact he had at LSU due to his assignments/usage.

As a run stuffing two gap DE, he's done pretty well at times, but also can get run on a lot. Overall, he's an above average player, but far from the investment we made.

^ryknowssd on the sig
Buckweath

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Dorsey is a solid player overall, nothing more, nothing less. You don't want the guy to be one of your best starting players on defense.

As crazy as it may sound, Dontari Poe is almost playing at Dorsey`s level.
Mikek163

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckweath wrote:
Glenn Dorsey is a solid player overall, nothing more, nothing less. You don't want the guy to be one of your best starting players on defense.

Yeah Dontari has been one pleasant surprise. I HATED the pick when we took him at 11. I even said I wanted Brockers more.

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikek163 wrote:
Buckweath wrote:

Yeah Dontari has been one pleasant surprise. I HATED the pick when we took him at 11. I even said I wanted Brockers more.

you didn't trust Ryknow. Shame on you.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rearviewmirror wrote:
Mikek163 wrote:

you didn't trust Ryknow. Shame on you.

Laughing

BOOM.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
wishbone20

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's a little overrated. He gets his reputation from his draft status and the Cleveland game he missed a few years ago where Harrison ran wild. I would go as far to say he's regressed to a less than average as a player the 20 or so games.

I think at best he's our 3rd best run stuffer on the line this season behind Powe and TJax. That speaks volumes about our dline yikes. I'd even say that Poe and Bailey are more valuable due to their pass rush. I may be partial to AB, I'm a sucker for huge triceps. Even when Dorsey's used to rush the pasher (Atlanta game) he still gives no push. I'd classify him as average against the run and ineffective as a pass rusher
Ring of Fame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with Dorsey is he's been asked to play out of position his entire career. He's not built for that 3-4 DE role and yet he's gone about his business and done whatever he's asked and for that, I respect the guy a ton.

Unfortunately he's not the impact player you hope to get when you took him Top 5, but he's proven he's an everyday NFL player and I think in the right spot he could be great. In a perfect world, Dorsey would be playing DT on a team like Atlanta or Philly where he'd be asked to penetrate and disrupt as opposed to eat blockers and play gap technique. It will be interesting to see if the Chiefs resign or trade Louisianimal here in the next few months.

jimmydee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, refresh me....was Dorsey transitioned into a 3-4 DE when we converted from our 4-3 several years ago in hopes that his talent would translate? OR did we draft a 4-3 tackle and 'expect' him to be effective in a system not necessarily suited to him? Help!
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Guys, refresh me....was Dorsey transitioned into a 3-4 DE when we converted from our 4-3 several years ago in hopes that his talent would translate? OR did we draft a 4-3 tackle and 'expect' him to be effective in a system not necessarily suited to him? Help!

Dorsey was drafted during the Carl Peterson/Herm Edwards era as a penetrating UT, which was essentially his position IIRC at LSU. He is simply a square peg in a round hole that does an admirable job as a run defender but little else.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Buckweath

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring of Fame wrote:
The thing with Dorsey is he's been asked to play out of position his entire career. He's not built for that 3-4 DE role and yet he's gone about his business and done whatever he's asked and for that, I respect the guy a ton.

Unfortunately he's not the impact player you hope to get when you took him Top 5, but he's proven he's an everyday NFL player and I think in the right spot he could be great. In a perfect world, Dorsey would be playing DT on a team like Atlanta or Philly where he'd be asked to penetrate and disrupt as opposed to eat blockers and play gap technique. It will be interesting to see if the Chiefs resign or trade Louisianimal here in the next few months.

Dorsey wouldn't be any better at rushing the passer if playing DT in a 4-3 defense, especially at this point in his career. The guy doesn't even show flashes of a good passrusher in our 3-4.

Clearly, there is a difference between a 5-tech 3-4 end and a DT in a 4-3, but never to the point that any player would totally be inept at rushing the passer as a 3-4 end and be great at it while playing in a 4-3.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buckweath wrote:
Ring of Fame wrote:

Dorsey wouldn't be any better at rushing the passer if playing DT in a 4-3 defense, especially at this point in his career. The guy doesn't even show flashes of a good passrusher in our 3-4.

Clearly, there is a difference between a 5-tech 3-4 end and a DT in a 4-3, but never to the point that any player would totally be inept at rushing the passer as a 3-4 end and be great at it while playing in a 4-3.

I would disagree. IMO Dorsey's best position would have been as a under tackle in a scheme that lets him line up close to the center and shoot gaps as an interior pass rusher. I don't know that he would have collected alot of sacks but he did have very good quickness at the snap and excellent strength (this is what helps him in run defense now). Some have said he plays more 4-tech in our scheme rather than 5-tech, but irregardless he is asked to hold the POA. That being said, I don't know that I see him being a good 1-gapper if asked to attack gaps farther away from the center. I think his knees have become a factor in slowing him down a bit. Just my opinion.

kylecumberland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we will let Dorsey walk. We need to focus on resigning BOTH Bowe and Albert at all costs. We can not lose those 2 guys. Tyson Jackson needs to restructure his contract and Dorsey will hit free agency and sign with a 4-3 team. I thought Allen Bailey looked pretty good starting against the ravens. Bailey is a much better pass rusher than Dorsey, and their seemed to not be much of a drop off in run defense. A 2013 D line of Jackson, Poe, and Bailey would be fine with me.

As far as the draft goes- it has to be a QB no matter what. I don't care if it is Geno smith, Tyler Wilson, or Matt Barkley.... either of those 3 guys would make the chiefs a championship caliber team.

I think we should use our 2nd round pick on a corner to start opposite flowers. 3rd rounder we should get a ILB to at least challenge Belcher for the starting job. those 3 moves (along with bringing bowe and albert back) would set this team up really well for the short and long term.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kylecumberland wrote:
I think we will let Dorsey walk. We need to focus on resigning BOTH Bowe and Albert at all costs. We can not lose those 2 guys. Tyson Jackson needs to restructure his contract and Dorsey will hit free agency and sign with a 4-3 team. I thought Allen Bailey looked pretty good starting against the ravens. Bailey is a much better pass rusher than Dorsey, and their seemed to not be much of a drop off in run defense. A 2013 D line of Jackson, Poe, and Bailey would be fine with me.

As far as the draft goes- it has to be a QB no matter what. I don't care if it is Geno smith, Tyler Wilson, or Matt Barkley.... either of those 3 guys would make the chiefs a championship caliber team.

I think we should use our 2nd round pick on a corner to start opposite flowers. 3rd rounder we should get a ILB to at least challenge Belcher for the starting job. those 3 moves (along with bringing bowe and albert back) would set this team up really well for the short and long term.

It's funny you mention those three positions because I think there could be several excellent options in round 2 thru 3 and even 4 to address cornerback, inside linebacker, and safety. But you are right, everything hinges on having Bowe and Albert locked up. I don't want to screw over a rookie QB by giving him an offense that is weaker than the one Cassel failed to be successful with. That would be the ultimate travesty.

Cutler06

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering where he was drafted (5th overall) the word BUST could easily be used. However, he has been playing out of position as a DE, his skill set has always been suited more to that of a 4-3 DT. As a 3-4 DE he has been nothing more than average.

Jakuvious wrote:
KC's pass rush is fast. Manning's decision making is faster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: