Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Breaston being phased out?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Breaston being phased out? Reply with quote

Saw this on AHP in their depth chart update - http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2012/10/10/3482932/kc-chiefs-depth-chart-tampa-bay-buccaneers

Quote:
Last week we started tracking the number of snaps of Steve Breaston and Jon Baldwin -- Breaston's listed as the No. 1 receiver -- so we'll continue that this week.

The percentage of snaps Breast has played is on the left, Baldwin is on the right:

Week 1: 50 / 32
Week 2: 55 / 52
Week 3: 50 / 63
Week 4: 19 / 75
Week 5: 6 / 76

Baldwin's headed in the right direction; Breaston, not so much.

Pretty amazing that Steve was doing 50% or more of all snaps the first 3 weeks, to then cut that in half, week 4, and then down to only 6% week 5. Baldwin has apparently been the primary beneficiary of his reduced role. However, with less passing overall, it hasn't led to Baldwin doing more on the field. Is the impetus for this having a better blocker on the field, or truly is it phasing Breaston out?

Also, if Breaston is getting phased out, what does that mean for Bowe's longterm presence on this team. Many speculated that if someone was going to get phased out, it'd be Bowe.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally (and this is just my opinion) the front office and coaching staff desperately want to see what they have in Baldwin. My idea is that it just taken him until now to start to show in practice and game preparation that he might be at the point where he can get more snaps in the offense. With the idea that Baldwin is the likely replacement for Bowe, they really need to see if Baldwin can show any semblence of justify that committment. Breaston is much more of a "known" quantity than Baldwin at this point, plus he is signed to a multi-year contract so if Baldwin can take snaps away from him to let him get experience, if AND when Bowe leaves, Breaston can be inserted back into the mix. I can't shake the feeling that Bowe is going to walk this offseason.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Personally (and this is just my opinion) the front office and coaching staff desperately want to see what they have in Baldwin. My idea is that it just taken him until now to start to show in practice and game preparation that he might be at the point where he can get more snaps in the offense. With the idea that Baldwin is the likely replacement for Bowe, they really need to see if Baldwin can show any semblence of justify that committment. Breaston is much more of a "known" quantity than Baldwin at this point, plus he is signed to a multi-year contract so if Baldwin can take snaps away from him to let him get experience, if AND when Bowe leaves, Breaston can be inserted back into the mix. I can't shake the feeling that Bowe is going to walk this offseason.

I just thought if their plan was to see if Baldwin can replace Bowe, why not have him replace Bowe, alongside Breaston, not seeing single coverage alongside Bowe.

^ryknowssd on the sig
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they have to TRY and win...or appear to and phasing Bowe out does not jive with that. It's very curious why we saw so little of Baldwin at first after his great training camp...as for Breaston I just thought he was dinged up a little more than most the last few games.

There has clearly been no use for 3 B's with our QB of choice as well as the game plan to run the ball last game. However, there is certainly room for all 3 if Quinn or someone else next year shows they can be trusted as well as have the ability to make accurate throws to the correct read.

Quinn doesn't have to be that good, but just showing he is a capable threat to do that if they bunch up against the run could vault this team to the top offense in the league (from #3). As a scoring offense, there are so many other variables, such as turnovers, will Hillis emerge as a solid RZ back, can Daboll make the right RZ calls, do other teams have 2 CB's that can handle Bowe/Baldwin in the RZ and will we even try to take advantage, is Romeo too madly in love with "taking" the points....kicking FG's under the false assumption that they are automatic. For example, a Romeoism might be "taking" a 45 yard FG on 4th and 1, rather than going for it....Formerly known as Hermism's.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Hillis ever emerge as a player that can stay healthy and be depended on should be the question.

At this point, I'm ready to just see if Draughn or even Gray can be that guy. While Gray is not a power back by any means, he was very effective in the red zone at A&M, kind of in the mold of a Priest Holmes, who always just seemed to find a way.

^ryknowssd on the sig
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
Because they have to TRY and win...or appear to and phasing Bowe out does not jive with that. It's very curious why we saw so little of Baldwin at first after his great training camp...as for Breaston I just thought he was dinged up a little more than most the last few games.

There has clearly been no use for 3 B's with our QB of choice as well as the game plan to run the ball last game. However, there is certainly room for all 3 if Quinn or someone else next year shows they can be trusted as well as have the ability to make accurate throws to the correct read.

Quinn doesn't have to be that good, but just showing he is a capable threat to do that if they bunch up against the run could vault this team to the top offense in the league (from #3). As a scoring offense, there are so many other variables, such as turnovers, will Hillis emerge as a solid RZ back, can Daboll make the right RZ calls, do other teams have 2 CB's that can handle Bowe/Baldwin in the RZ and will we even try to take advantage, is Romeo too madly in love with "taking" the points....kicking FG's under the false assumption that they are automatic. For example, a Romeoism might be "taking" a 45 yard FG on 4th and 1, rather than going for it....Formerly known as Hermism's.

I would say Romeo seems to take it even a step further and not even try and get in field goal range. I was amazed when we punted the ball with what? 12 seconds left? IMO he didn't put us in the position to win the game.

jimmydee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, like I've said in another post....you (we) won't know what we have in Baldwin till he gets the ball thrown to him regularly. One opportunity a game does not a test make.

To see if Baldwin can effectively, eventually replace Bowe if he walks, he needs to run Bowes routes with Bowe on the sidelines, and not just being the recepient of single coverage because Bowe is on the other side. Let's have an apples to apples comparison here. Until then, we just don't know.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Guys, like I've said in another post....you (we) won't know what we have in Baldwin till he gets the ball thrown to him regularly. One opportunity a game does not a test make.

To see if Baldwin can effectively, eventually replace Bowe if he walks, he needs to run Bowes routes with Bowe on the sidelines, and not just being the recepient of single coverage because Bowe is on the other side. Let's have an apples to apples comparison here. Until then, we just don't know.

But you can't bench Bowe. That would be ridiculous. Bowe is our best receiver. If we aren't going to use him to be competitive we should have traded him for whatever we could get before the season and then throw Baldwin to the wolves for a trial by fire. The key for any evaluation is getting the player on the field irregardless of single or double coverage. Baldwin needs to run his routes in a real game environment and learn to make adjustments based on coverage, etc. But we can't just scrap our most consistent receiver in Bowe just to replicate Baldwin into his place.

If that were the case we need to bench Branden Albert to see if Donald Stephenson can take his place.

DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One, I agree with Rage. Phasing out our only legitimate receiving option would be waving the white flag, our FO and Coach can't afford to do that.

Two, I think we need to see what Baldwin can do, in order to decide on Bowe. This bothers me greatly because I think the fans know what we should dl.

Three

Quote:
Will Hillis ever emerge as a player that can stay healthy and be depended on should be the question.

Bigs I said it in another thread, I'm done with the Hillis experiment, I think it's been shown that he can't stay in the game, or isn't willing to. In my opinion, I keep him on the team, cut Eachus' worthless behind, slide Hillis in at fullback give him 2-5 carries a game and goal line and test the water with Draughn/Gray.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT,
As far as Hillis goes if the guy can't or won't stay on the field then I don't see cutting Eachus for Hillis to fill in. Now if Hillis is on his way back to being fully healthy, I would consider it. On the flip side, I am not sure I see Hillis as a fullback with the biggest part being I am not sure I see him wanting to be a fullback. IIRC, we didn't even use a fullback once against the Ravens so it is interesting how Daboll went completely away from having a fullback in the running game.

ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:

The thing is, many times this year they both have single coverage because when you combine the magnificence of JC with the impotence of MC, who's gonna double any WR? There have still been times when we're in more of a passing mode that they tilt the coverage to Bowe, but we have to get a QB that they respect before anybody's gonna get much double coverage.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IIRC, we didn't even use a fullback once against the Ravens so it is interesting how Daboll went completely away from having a fullback in the running game.

Even when Eachus is on the field...we don't have a fullback. His idea of blocking is to try and get in the way. I've seen QBs throw better blocks.

When I said let Hillis play FB it was more of a earn his way and show he actually has the "WANT TO" play. Right now I'm questioning that as much as anything with him.
jimmydee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nic, I completely agree and wasn't suggesting that we bench Bowe to have an 'experiment' of this sort. I was simply saying that we won't know absent benching Bowe and inserting BAldwin. My solution is simple, as am I: Throw him the damn ball and see what he can do. NOW, if he's not getting open, that's another story. But when your QB lazer locks onto Bowe from the snap, we don't know if Baldwin is/was open at all.

Here's a thought. With Bowe out of the line up, maybe Cassell would have to actually go thru progrsssions to find open guys, rather than lazer lock on Bowe. My point is not Bowe in or out of the line up. My point is Cassell's ineffectiveness in looking for someone else besides his security blanket.

Gotta run. Great week end all. GO Chiefs!
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmydee wrote:
Nic, I completely agree and wasn't suggesting that we bench Bowe to have an 'experiment' of this sort. I was simply saying that we won't know absent benching Bowe and inserting BAldwin. My solution is simple, as am I: Throw him the damn ball and see what he can do. NOW, if he's not getting open, that's another story. But when your QB lazer locks onto Bowe from the snap, we don't know if Baldwin is/was open at all.

Here's a thought. With Bowe out of the line up, maybe Cassell would have to actually go thru progrsssions to find open guys, rather than lazer lock on Bowe. My point is not Bowe in or out of the line up. My point is Cassell's ineffectiveness in looking for someone else besides his security blanket.

Gotta run. Great week end all. GO Chiefs!

jd, yeah I didn't think that was necessarily what you were talking about. Our offensive would more than likely look completely different with a quarterback that trusts his ability to spread the ball around. It was pretty obvious to me that Cassel completely lacked any confidence in himself. IMO, when I was watching the Baltimore game and looking closely at Cassel and his demeanor I couldn't help but think of a pitcher that all of the sudden can't find the strike zone if his life depended on it. I really think his struggles very well could have finally gotten into his head. He just seemed soo dejected out there, almost like he knew the team, the coaching staff, and obviously the fanbase have no confidence in him whatsoever.

For a contrast, while watching the Arkansas-Texas A&M game, the Razorbacks where getting beaten badly. Knile Davis couldn't get anything going on the ground game. The offensive line couldn't consistently get any blocks in either the running game or the passing game. The defense was playing poorly. Yet despite that (and his own struggles), Tyler Wilson kept battling. You didn't really see him hang his head at any point (that I saw), he kept going out there and trying to carry the team on his shoulders. Did he make mistakes? Yes. But I don't remember getting that dejected feeling from how he was carrying himself. That is what I want from a quarterback for us. Wilson trusts his arm and has alot of confidence in himself (sometimes being a negative as he occasionally tries to force a play).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: