Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans release WR/KR Trindon Holliday; Sign LB Barrett Ruud
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wolf6151


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 2755
Location: Pearland, Texas
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LORK 88 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Ruud has over 600 tackles, i would say he can actually tackle, i think it was a great move


Then apparently you haven't watched him play for the past few years.

Tackles is a useless statistic. He shies away from contact which is an awful characteristic for a linebacker, especially one in a 3-4 defense.


Sounds like a guy who been in the league for a while and sucking up a pay check while playing not to get hurt. I could be wrong but I agree with ET80, why not Adibi, or Louiseau. Both are young and have played well for us in the past.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38048
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I could be wrong but I agree with ET80.


Stats show that if you're agreeing with ET80, you're wrong about 76% of the time. Laughing
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
texans_uk


Joined: 26 Feb 2009
Posts: 28031
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we take on Xavier Adibi?

This isn't Madden.

The dude hasn't recorded a stat since 2010.
_________________
DallasInHeart wrote:
Buddy if you lived in Europe or ever gone to visit Europe you would know that over there Football is totally on a different level

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LORK 88


Moderator
Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 6056
Location: Endor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
LORK 88 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Ruud has over 600 tackles, i would say he can actually tackle, i think it was a great move


Then apparently you haven't watched him play for the past few years.

Tackles is a useless statistic. He shies away from contact which is an awful characteristic for a linebacker, especially one in a 3-4 defense.


Sounds like a guy who been in the league for a while and sucking up a pay check while playing not to get hurt. I could be wrong but I agree with ET80, why not Adibi, or Louiseau. Both are young and have played well for us in the past.

Funny thing is he was pushing Tampa Bay to sign him long term and it never happened. That was a Tampa 2 system as well which he's a much better fit for. He went from trying to get a top-10 LB contract to signing for what I'd assume is the league minimum. Hopefully that can serve as motivation for him since he has nothing to lose. Ruud has talent and maybe he helps out on special teams or in obvious passing situations, but I really hope we don't see him a lot unless it's a passing down.
_________________

TEXANS NATION LONGTIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
FFGL 1 Champ = Team Lork
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5462
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LORK 88 wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
LORK 88 wrote:
kenney wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:
Ruud has over 600 tackles, i would say he can actually tackle, i think it was a great move


Then apparently you haven't watched him play for the past few years.

Tackles is a useless statistic. He shies away from contact which is an awful characteristic for a linebacker, especially one in a 3-4 defense.


Sounds like a guy who been in the league for a while and sucking up a pay check while playing not to get hurt. I could be wrong but I agree with ET80, why not Adibi, or Louiseau. Both are young and have played well for us in the past.

Funny thing is he was pushing Tampa Bay to sign him long term and it never happened. That was a Tampa 2 system as well which he's a much better fit for. He went from trying to get a top-10 LB contract to signing for what I'd assume is the league minimum. Hopefully that can serve as motivation for him since he has nothing to lose. Ruud has talent and maybe he helps out on special teams or in obvious passing situations, but I really hope we don't see him a lot unless it's a passing down.


Ever the contrarian, I applaud the move. Buys us a few weeks to see if Sharpton is going to be able to go. In the meantime he's a veteran coverage oriented LB which we simply don't have on the roster right now. There isn't a Brian Cushing replacement sitting around on any other rosters right now, better yet on the waiver wire. If Shawn Louiseau were anywhere close to ready for prime time, he would have been on our practice squad, not some guy we've never heard of named Delano Johnson. I wouldn't toss him aside based upon his Titans performance as don't forget who his LB coach was there - none other than Frank Bush (who still thinks its a good idea to put Zach Diles on a football field). I don't want to see Ruud starting on a defense that needs an ILB to stop the run or rush the passer, but we've got options on the roster to fill those needs. We didn't have a decent option for passing situations against teams that feature 2 TEs (like the Ravens) and he's amongst the best available options there.

As for Holliday, that's what we get for overvaluing the preseason again and not discounting the fact that those returns came largely against players that didn't make NFL rosters. Same mistake that left us with Rex Grossman as a #2 QB based upon PS week 4 garbage time. I hope this is not the end of the Special Teams overhaul. Devier Posey has no business out there in coverage either. Marciano needs to be put on notice that his job is on the line at this point as his units collectively stunk last year as well. It doesn't seem like he has any ability to even get players to listen to him as he could never get Jacoby to respect ball safety, couldn't stop Hartmann from sprinting down in coverage to his peril, and couldn't teach Holliday to take the ball at the 20 on kickoffs 7 yards deep into the end zone. It's bad enough that he's getting outcoached, but he's also burning draft picks and roster spots as Smithiak throws him bones like Holliday, Keo, Bullock, Dickerson, McManis, Barber, Molden not to mention the veteran special teams linebackers that have been pressed into the lineup like Dobbins, Bentley, Nixon, Thompson, etc.

Stick Justin Forsett back there on kickoffs and tell him to hand the ball to Matt Schaub on the 20 and tell Martin to fair catch any time a player is within 10 yards of him. Coach Carmichael and Harris up so you aren't asking Devier Posey to make a tackle or Troy Nolan to catch a punt returner from behind.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jacobys Homey


Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 8341
Location: BU
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Coach Carmichael and Harris up so you aren't asking Devier Posey to make a tackle or Troy Nolan to catch a punt returner from behind.


Just wanted to point out, man did Posey look fast when chasing McKnight.
_________________


Did you feel the mountains tremble?

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4231
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacobys Homey wrote:
Quote:
Coach Carmichael and Harris up so you aren't asking Devier Posey to make a tackle or Troy Nolan to catch a punt returner from behind.


Just wanted to point out, man did Posey look fast when chasing McKnight.


I noticed that also! To bad he lost his footing on that end a round.
_________________
^Kempes on the sick sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5462
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - Cody White was promoted from the PS taking Holliday's spot. Not quite sure why we need him since Brandon Brooks is already a regular on the inactive list, Gardner rides the pine and a 6th guard is pretty pointless. Seems to me that Eddie Pleasant would be more useful especially against the pass happy Packers or protecting Keenum on the active roster (I worry about the Saints who roll with only Brees & Daniel and Keenum fits their mold. Packers are also looking to upgrade over Harrell). Supernaw didn't make too much of an impression, but the end of the game again pointed out the need for a true blocking TE and TE's are usually decent special teamers too as essentially fast linebackers. Heck Meggett might have even made some sense with Tate still out and Forsett being on the injury report (but likely fine).

Also, Lestar Jean will play this week which as I predicted would be the death knell for Holliday since Martin and Jean can now share #3 reps and Martin getting hurt on a punt return wouldn't hurt us as much. I suspect Posey heads back to weekly inactive and I'm betting watching him run alongside McKnight's TD is his lone screen time for the year. Still very underwhelmed with this guy.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5462
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
Jacobys Homey wrote:
Quote:
Coach Carmichael and Harris up so you aren't asking Devier Posey to make a tackle or Troy Nolan to catch a punt returner from behind.


Just wanted to point out, man did Posey look fast when chasing McKnight.


I noticed that also! To bad he lost his footing on that end a round.


Must have tripped on some OSU booster money...
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaytrajik


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 13588
Location: Odessa/Houston
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too worried with signing Ruud. For one he'll get exposed in this system so if he doesn't positively contribute, his stay will be short lived.

Why Holliday was on this team in the first place, I have no idea. It's not like Kubiak to invest in a full time returner. Hope he can make it somewhere else but his time was up.
_________________


"I don't always throw a TD pass but when i do, it's to the wrong team" - The most interesting man in Houston #8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38048
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
BTW - Cody White was promoted from the PS taking Holliday's spot. Not quite sure why we need him since Brandon Brooks is already a regular on the inactive list, Gardner rides the pine and a 6th guard is pretty pointless.


610 reported that it was a pre-emptive move, as someone was looking to snatch him off of our PS. Not sure WHO, and not sure why we felt keeping him was such a priority...
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4231
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
BTW - Cody White was promoted from the PS taking Holliday's spot. Not quite sure why we need him since Brandon Brooks is already a regular on the inactive list, Gardner rides the pine and a 6th guard is pretty pointless.


610 reported that it was a pre-emptive move, as someone was looking to snatch him off of our PS. Not sure WHO, and not sure why we felt keeping him was such a priority...


Wade Smith's cap hit does jump to almost 4 mil next year, so maybe he'll be a cap casualty and Brooks/White will compete for the LG job. Plus he can supposedly play C also.
_________________
^Kempes on the sick sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38048
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
Apollo Stallion wrote:
BTW - Cody White was promoted from the PS taking Holliday's spot. Not quite sure why we need him since Brandon Brooks is already a regular on the inactive list, Gardner rides the pine and a 6th guard is pretty pointless.


610 reported that it was a pre-emptive move, as someone was looking to snatch him off of our PS. Not sure WHO, and not sure why we felt keeping him was such a priority...


Wade Smith's cap hit does jump to almost 4 mil next year, so maybe he'll be a cap casualty and Brooks/White will compete for the LG job. Plus he can supposedly play C also.

...and the plot thickens. Maybe Ben Jones will come into this game as the starting RG and take the majority of snaps? I can't imagine Antoine Caldwell has played C since his 'bama days.
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 38455
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
#Broncos claimed former #Texans WR/Returner Trindon Holliday off waivers.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256493298984828928
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lumberjackchris


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4231
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
#Broncos claimed former #Texans WR/Returner Trindon Holliday off waivers.


http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256493298984828928


Looks like we could be seeing him in the playoffs... Shocked
_________________
^Kempes on the sick sig^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group