Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Geno vs. Trade down: Season Long Tracking. Week 6 Version
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

As of today, would you take Geno Smith or a Rams Style trade down.
Geno Smith
28%
 28%  [ 14 ]
Rams Style trade down
72%
 72%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 50

Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the draft were today, geno and no question.

I watched that Texas vs West Virginia game and smith was incredible. He looked every bit the part of a true franchise QB.

Who knows what Weeden can do. Worst case he busts but we have geno come in and everything is good... Best case Weeden looks amazing too and the team ends up with two top QBs, then the team can trade one ala brees/rivers.
EL Brownso

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TypicalBrowns10 wrote:
EL Brownso wrote:
I'm not saying I would take Geno. He is playing Big-12 competition and I wouldn't want to sit in the pocket against Texas. They have two of the best DEs in the country.

Wanted to add too that RG3 was a pocket passer in college too.

Ok... For comparison Smith had a total of -33 rushing yards last year. RGIII had 699... Geno Smith is a pocket passer, RGIII was a dual threat.
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now?

Trade down providing its still in the top 5. Adding a 2014 1st certainly takes the sting away from not having a 2nd to use in 2013.

Alot of this IMO depends on ownerships view on the current regime.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would trade down. IMO, you cant pull the plug on a 1st round QB after 1 year, even if their name is Christian Ponder or Blane Gabbert. Give the guy time to develop.

I would get a ton of picks a la St. Louis. There will be more QBs in 2014, 2015, 2016 etc that will be draft worthy, so it's not like we are missing the boat on Geno.

If Weeden sucks, we wont win & we will in a position to draft high in the future. Remember, Geno could turn out like RG3, but he could also be Mark Sanchez. Take the picks, keep the faith, go Browns.

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from a risk perspective, it is more risky to pull the plug on Weeden and go for Geno Smith after just 1 year.

There is virtually no risk in collecting and few extra 1st and 2nd round picks and keeping Weeden.

NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
If the draft were today, geno and no question.

I watched that Texas vs West Virginia game and smith was incredible. He looked every bit the part of a true franchise QB.

Who knows what Weeden can do. Worst case he busts but we have geno come in and everything is good... Best case Weeden looks amazing too and the team ends up with two top QBs, then the team can trade one ala brees/rivers.

I see where you are going with this, but a few things...

1. Weeden has to have value to be traded for anything worth a darn.

2. The key to the Brees Rivers trade was that Drew Brees took the Chargers to the playoffs and established himself as a quality QB because HE STARTED FOR 3 YEARS. Weeden hasnt started 6 games and we are talking next years QB... Laughing

Not to mention it had to hurt San Diego to watch Brees win a super bowl in New Orleans while they are still scrambling to put a team together before Rivers career winds down.

3. If we draft Geno Smith and keep Weeden, do you honestly think Weeden stands a chance in Cleveland? Dude, this town hangs their hat on their love affair for the backup QB. One of them wont make it which means you wont have "two top QBs".

Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
There is virtually no risk in collecting and few extra 1st and 2nd round picks and keeping Weeden.

Unless Geno is a franchise QB and Weeden isn't in which case the risk is once again missing out on the franchise QB.

I am not convinced that Weeden is a franchise QB. I believe that Geno Smith can be. I vote Smith.
NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
NickZambo wrote:

Unless Geno is a franchise QB and Weeden isn't in which case the risk is once again missing out on the franchise QB.

I am not convinced that Weeden is a franchise QB. I believe that Geno Smith can be. I vote Smith.

You're opinion. But I could argue that Weeden could turn out be a franchise QB. Imagine if we let him walk AND pass up on a bunch of picks. And if Geno Smith busts, we are set back even further.

At least if you take the picks, you actually see Weeden play 2 full seasons and make a reasonable assessment. Then if he struggles, you can trade all of your acquired picks to get the next franchise QB in 2014.

Let's be honest here, there is a Cam Newton, RG3, Geno Smith every year...

Imagine if Indy cut the chord on Peyton after his rookie year...

Manning's rookie year in which he led the Colts to a 3 - 13 record:
16 games, 3739yds on 326 completions, 56.7% comp%, 26 TDs, 28INTs, 71.2 rating

http://www.nfl.com/player/peytonmanning/2501863/careerstats

Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:

Not there isn't.

Quote:

Sure, if you think Weeden can be Peyton then I totally understand not wanting Geno. I dont think he will be, especially not at 29
NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
NickZambo wrote:

Not there isn't.

Quote:

Sure, if you think Weeden can be Peyton then I totally understand not wanting Geno. I dont think he will be, especially not at 29

1. Yes actually there always is... you dont have to look outside the top 3 picks of every draft to find him...

'02 David Carr
'03 Carson Palmer
'04 Eli Manning
'05 Alex Smith
'06 Vince Young
'07 JaMarcus Russell
'08 Matt Ryan
'09 Matt Stafford
'10 Sam Bradford
'11 Cam Newton
'12 Luck/RG3

I mean I could keep going and going and going...

2. I don't think Weeden is the next Manning but I do find it laughable that all the armchair GMs that write on this site dub Weeden not worthy of being our QB next year after a mere 5 game assessment... Or maybe it's just blind infatuation with Geno.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NickZambo"]
1. Yes actually there always is... you dont have to look outside the top 3 picks of every draft to find him...

'02 David Carr
'03 Carson Palmer
'04 Eli Manning
'05 Alex Smith
'06 Vince Young
'07 JaMarcus Russell

'08 Matt Ryan
'09 Matt Stafford
'10 Sam Bradford
'11 Cam Newton
'12 Luck/RG3
[/qoute]

Lots of failures out there, if you think Smith is a Young or a Russell, then I'm fine with that. But if you think Smith is a Ryan or a Manning, then obviously you take him.

Quote:
2. I don't think Weeden is the next Manning but i do find it laughable that all the armchair GMs that write on this site dub Weeden not worthy of being our QB next year after a mere 5 game assessment... Or maybe it's just blind infatuation with Geno.

I didnt like Weeden last year, I didn't want him as our next QB before he played any games in the NFL. Hopefully, Im wrong.

But he is 29.
roger murdock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take Geno. I think a team like Buffalo might take Weeden for a second rounder.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
NickZambo wrote:

I don't understand how if you're not yet convinced about Weeden, how you could be about Geno Smith. I think Weeden has shown more because you know, he's played in a few NFL games, Geno has carved up some college defenses. Sure he smoked Baylor, so did Kieth Price last year in Washington's bowl game, why aren't we talking about drafting him? Don't get me wrong, I think Geno is making a good case for himself, but the guy was not on a single person's radar before he played Baylor, it was all Barkley this Barkley that with a touch of Wilson and Bray.

I could change my mind depending on the continued play of both QBs thru-out the rest of the season, but right now I'm going with the picks knowing that if need be, we can have the ammo to trade up for the guy next year that nobody is talking about right now.

Season tickets, section 315, since 06
See you in the Muni with the Tailgate DJs
pmk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't watch too much college ball, has Smith looked that much better than Weeden did last year? Unless Smith is a transcending into the "can't miss QB" territory as a prospect you gotta stick with weeds and take the picks. I'm still unsure on Weeden but he was a 1st round prospect as a 28 year old for a reason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
NickZambo wrote:

'02 David Carr
'03 Carson Palmer
'04 Eli Manning
'05 Alex Smith
'06 Vince Young
'07 JaMarcus Russell

'08 Matt Ryan
'09 Matt Stafford
'10 Sam Bradford
'11 Cam Newton
'12 Luck/RG3

Lots of failures out there, if you think Smith is a Young or a Russell, then I'm fine with that. But if you think Smith is a Ryan or a Manning, then obviously you take him.

Quote:
2. I don't think Weeden is the next Manning but i do find it laughable that all the armchair GMs that write on this site dub Weeden not worthy of being our QB next year after a mere 5 game assessment... Or maybe it's just blind infatuation with Geno.

I didnt like Weeden last year, I didn't want him as our next QB before he played any games in the NFL. Hopefully, Im wrong.

But he is 29.

Of course there are busts there, that's the risk. Weeden could bust, so could Smith. Point is that you have to wait and see...Is Bradford a bust? Newton isnt having a great year by any means. Stafford can't stay healthy. Sanchez is about to get Tebowed.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but my point is that we don't have hindsight b/c we haven't seen Weeden play 1 full year in the NFL.

Yes Weeden is 29 but I am hoping that his talent comes through and outweighs age. There is a reason he is the oldest rookie QB drafted in the 1st round. Plus it's practically Murphy's Law, the Browns are tormented by odd luck and unconventional success, tell me Weeden isn't the epitome of that... (random tangent)

We can agree to disagree I guess. My original point is that there is less risk in getting multiple 1st & 2nd round picks and giving Weeden another year than kicking him to the curb and going all in on Geno.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: