Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Weeden/Heckert Connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  

If the FO turns over but Heckert is invited to stay, does he if it means a new QB in 2013?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 3 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 9

NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: The Weeden/Heckert Connection Reply with quote

With the imminent Browns ownership change on the horizon, many people fear (or rejoice) that this is the end of Pat Shurmur and Mike Holmgren. I think it is fair to say that most people are happy with Tom Heckert and want the new ownership group to retain him due to the decent drafts of the past few years.

However, there is a lot of debate on this website about the Browns current Win/Loss record, the 2013 draft and the QB play. Many like the idea of the Browns getting a top tier franchise QB next year: Geno Smith, Barkley etc... While others are a looking for Weeden to be given time to develop.

Fact: Weeden was brought in under Heckert's tenure as GM.
Fact: Heckert wasn't willing to take the job in Cleveland unless he knew he had control of the decision making.
Premise: Heckert believes in Weeden and if the current front office stays as is, Weeden would remain & be the guy going into next year.
...but...
Premise: In the off season, Heckert is retained but Holmgren and Shurmur leave.
Premise: Weeden struggles, leading the Browns to a top draft pick and the new group forces him out the door, does Heckert look at new QBs or does he step down b/c of the Weeden Connection?

Frankly, I don't see Heckert sticking around if a new front office comes in with the idea of a fresh start at QB. It undermines Heckert's decision to draft Weeden and I personally don't think Heckert would be willing to cut ties with a 1st round rookie QB after only 1 season. So if the new front office forces that, I think Heckert walks.

The premise of this thread is: do you feel the success of Weeden ties directly with Tom Heckert's future with he Browns? Are you okay with a entirely new front office, new QB & no Shurmur, Holmgren & Heckert? And does Heckert mean so much to us that we will pull for Weeden's success going forward?

DEBATE

**I realize there are a lot of "IF" senarios but I think these are realistic thoughts based on the history of front office change when a new ownership group comes in, the overall record of the team, Pat Shurmur's leadership ability and the Joe Banner rumors**

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82b038e2/article/report-joe-banner-will-become-cleveland-browns-president

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012

Last edited by NickZambo on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:54 am; edited 3 times in total
DawgX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Heckert stays, then I'm fairly certain that Weeden will stay. If a new GM is brought in, then there's a good chance that a new QB will be brought in.

Smack on the sig.
NickZambo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgX wrote:
If Heckert stays, then I'm fairly certain that Weeden will stay. If a new GM is brought in, then there's a good chance that a new QB will be brought in.

I agree but are the Heckert supporters who are clamoring for a new franchise QB good with that?

New QB & new GM, or same QB potentially same GM...Seems like it wont go both ways...

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
Reginaldm9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Heckert is let go, but not before next season. I think the new ownership gives him one last year to prove his prospects much like we kept Mangini around one extra year when Holmgren came to town. I'm almost positive that Weeden sticks around for at least another year as well. We'll make a killing off an early draft pick, especially if Clowney doesn't declare.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
EL Brownso

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reginaldm9 wrote:
I think Heckert is let go, but not before next season. I think the new ownership gives him one last year to prove his prospects much like we kept Mangini around one extra year when Holmgren came to town. I'm almost positive that Weeden sticks around for at least another year as well. We'll make a killing off an early draft pick, especially if Clowney doesn't declare.

If you are Heckert in this situation and Weeden stays consistantly sub-par during the rest of this season. You know next season is your last chance with this team. You have an opportunity for Geno Smith (being a potential Newton/RGIII/Luck type breakout QB candidate) do you take him or do you ride the ginger out to see if he produces?
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth, I believe it was Rabisson who first reported that Heckert loved Geno Smith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EL Brownso wrote:
Reginaldm9 wrote:

If you are Heckert in this situation and Weeden stays consistantly sub-par during the rest of this season. You know next season is your last chance with this team. You have an opportunity for Geno Smith (being a potential Newton/RGIII/Luck type breakout QB candidate) do you take him or do you ride the ginger out to see if he produces?

Bailing on a first round pick would pretty much signal the end of our crafty GM. I think if he's still around it's ride or die with Weeden.

Adopt-a-Brown: Joe Haden
Stats: 1 big fat pay day
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heckert will stay if he is offered the opportunity....

regardless if the new owner, him, new coach, etc. want Weeden back or not.
fsubrowns9510

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh to be a fly on the wall in Berea...

I really have no idea. That's the tough thing here. I dunno if Heckert has as much control and one would think/hope.

Browns Forum HOF Member Class of 2011
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Estonianzulu wrote:
For what its worth, I believe it was Rabisson who first reported that Heckert loved Geno Smith

Yes it was. As a 2nd round pick to develop behind Weeden.

That would be somewhat reasonable, that is if we actually had a 2nd round pick. 1st overall, not so much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: