Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

RGIII has Concussion *EDITED*
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: RGIII has Concussion *EDITED* Reply with quote

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-vs-falcons-robert-griffin-iii-suffers-concussion-in-loss/2012/10/07/748203da-10c8-11e2-9a39-1f5a7f6fe945_story.html

Further tests to be done today. And still has to be cleared by an independent neurologist to practice.

Father says that he is doing alright, but just needs to rest.

Quote:
Griffin had been living close to the edge all season, at times being too slow to slide to avoid a hit, at other times absorbing big hits on quarterback-option fakes. But he had always gotten up and kept playing, until Sunday. By design, the Redskins had scaled back Griffin’s exposure to hits in the past two weeks, and Sunday’s fateful scramble was just his second rush.

Interesting. Maybe we need Zorn to come back and show Griffin how to slide effectively...lol. But he really needs to learn to slide and the coaches should be emphasizing this more and more to reduce the risk of concussions on a rookie franchise QB.

I will try to edit as the information comes in about RGIII practicing.

RGIII Practiced fully on Wednesday:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/10/10/nfl-notes-rgiii-feels-right-practises-normally

Should be a go for Sunday.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT

Last edited by mike23md on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Slateman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if he learns "how" to slide, he never will. Not in his nature.

So, basically, Vick 2.0
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
Even if he learns "how" to slide, he never will. Not in his nature.

So, basically, Vick 2.0

Griffin is going to be a much better QB than Vick. I think in Griffin's prime, he will be what Vick was in 2010. However, it will take Griffin much less time to get to being that level of a QB and passer. I do agree, for any QB that likes to make plays on the ground. They have to learn to get down.

Minnesota has been having the same issue with Ponder. Ponder has had issues with injuries and did suffer that concussion last year against Washington because he didnt do a good job protecting his body.

But here is an interesting take from the Vikes OC on how he wants Ponder to play:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Bill_Musgrave_confirms_he_wants_Christian_Ponder_sliding_headfirst082012

Quote:
But the Minnesota Vikings' offensive coordinator confirmed on Monday he has shown cut-ups to Ponder that suggest sliding feet first is far more dangerous to a quarterback's health.

"It's a personal preference, and what's really important when a quarterback runs is getting down in time ... as those defenders converge," Musgrave said. "You can maximize or squeeze out the last possible yard, but at the same time, maintain your health so you can line up for the next play."

Ponder took one big hit on a feet-first slide last season -- a blow to the chin from Washington Redskins safety Reed Doughty on Dec. 24 that drew a $15,000 fine.

Its been a debate, slide feet first and give yourself up while exposing the front part of your body to potential defenders, or dive head first and get to the ground quicker, but defenders can legally jump on you.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe our coaches should start treating our Qb like a qb and not a running back...

Just a suggestion Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
footy_29

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Maybe our coaches should start treating our Qb like a qb and not a running back...

Just a suggestion Wink

You didn't see the last game; you wouldn't make this comment if you did. They had one planned run. The coaches are treating Griffin like a QB, and they have been quick to adjust as needed.
BuckleyBoy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Just a suggestion Wink

You didn't see the last game; you wouldn't make this comment if you did. They had one planned run. The coaches are treating Griffin like a QB, and they have been quick to adjust as needed.

Exactly. Griffin ran on his own and got the concussion. It wasn't a designed run at all and the guy only ran 2 TIMES that whole game

kiltman on the sig

JMU Class of 2014
DCRED

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BuckleyBoy wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Just a suggestion Wink

Exactly. Griffin ran on his own and got the concussion. It wasn't a designed run at all and the guy only ran 2 TIMES that whole game

He needs to learn to throw the ball away too. for SEVERAL seconds on that play I was thinking," JUST THROW IT AWAY"

Steve Young said he had a problem with not throwing it away early in his career. I think Griffin will figure it out too. That said, I hope he rests Sunday. Any concussion is serious.
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Just a suggestion Wink

thats good. My bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleared to practice Wednesday
Quote:

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III has been cleared to practice without contact Wednesday, according to a report by The Washington Post

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8484332

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-1 Tackle
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Quote:

Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III has been cleared to practice without contact Wednesday, according to a report by The Washington Post

key words...
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
THESKINSFAN21 wrote:
Quote:

key words...

Still a great sign,he'll play sunday.

mike23md on the sig
Adopt A Redskin- Trent Murphy/OLB-1 Tackle
atran35

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
BuckleyBoy wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:

Just a suggestion Wink

He needs to learn to throw the ball away too. for SEVERAL seconds on that play I was thinking," JUST THROW IT AWAY"

Steve Young said he had a problem with not throwing it away early in his career. I think Griffin will figure it out too. That said, I hope he rests Sunday. Any concussion is serious.

Your QB has the ability to extend plays to make a play. It may cost the team every now and then but if he has the talent then let him use it. He's not a pocket QB in the sense that he needs to throw the ball away...he can make plays with his feet in the pocket/out of the pocket and on the run.
Slateman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather he didn't play. You only get so much damage before you are to damaged to play. No reason to increase that number with meaningless games.
RSkinGM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:
I'd rather he didn't play. You only get so much damage before you are to damaged to play. No reason to increase that number with meaningless games.

Uhh, I agree -- I'd rather he not play ,,,but MEANINGLESS game ??? huh????????????
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slateman wrote:

If Jared Allen is playing, I want RGIII to chill....
Let Cousins get that welcome to the NFL. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: