Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Wallace and Haley's offense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kysteeler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
This is the best thing to happen to the Steelers and Mike Wallace is Todd Haley's offense. It shows the Steelers what kind of "WR" M. Wallace is and it helps M. Wallace grow as a route running WR. It's been a up and down start for M. Wallace but I believe as the season wears on he'll produce. I want the Steelers to resign M. Wallace because it's a passing league. The more WR there are on the team the better the passing game will be.

I wouldn't really expect much considering Wallace missed the entire off season. Wallace is doing fine, and will get better as the season goes on. It does I believe help Wallace as a route runner, which is better than sending him on go routes all the time. I actually really love Haley's offense.
3rivers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Mike Wallace and Haley's offense Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
3rivers wrote:
Our "current" as in last game? Seems like we can run the ball afterall, and Saunders will be back so this opens up more options.

Wallace was never worth top dollar since he isn't a complete receiver and blocks like a kicker. I would rather them let him go and get picks if he want $12M a year - he had his offer on the table and blew it.

Current as in our offense in general....how Haley has this offense set up. Obviously things could change, but right now I see Wallace as expendable.

Randy Moss wasnt a complete WR and blocked like a kicker....are you saying he wasnt worth top money?

I know Wallace isnt on Moss' level and I dont think Wallace is worth say...Fitz or CJ money...but Wallace wanted VJax money and he is worth that for the right offense. Im

And I wish Steelers fans would quit making comments about Wallace "blowing" his contract opportunity. Why? Because he didnt take the first lowball offer they made?

Its business. Cant hate him just because he didnt take the deal you thought he was worth.

3rivers wrote:
We know which area I want to get addressed Embarassed This area doesn't require top $ contracts but good draft pick again.

Wallace was good for taking the top off the D, but our O will just have to take on a new look thats all.

The Oline doesnt need to have all high draft picks.

I know this wont be popular, but Ill say it anyway....I think Pouncey is starting to look like a minor bust at this point. The dude is inconsistent and average at best. This is coming from one of his biggest fans BEFORE we drafted him, so I take no pleasure in saying that. IMO, its poor coaching, and I have a feeling if they dont replace Kugler soon, its going to set Pouncey back for good and may even happen with DeCastrto.

They can spend first round picks on every OLineman...its not going to matter if they keep Kugler around IMO.

Fire Kugler....get DD back, coach him and Pouncey up right...maybe even Foster....and roll into next year with Starks-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Gilbert and go from there.

No way we should be spending another high end pick on OLine next draft unless the value is similar to where we got DeCastro.

43M, I agree with your assessment on pouncey and poor coaching. Pouncey is overrated, never understood the hype. better than hartwig - yes, but not even close to best center in the league, not even sure if he is "good" actually.

I am with your Fire Kugler campaign just sick of the slop out there. No improvement at all from what I see, and perhaps regression is the theme with kugler. Starks has been comparable to 08 form from what I have seen, maybe not quite but close. Lucky he is playing well. Problem is, if the OL sucks all year, then kugler could be gone, but this year is also gone. If the OL gets results, just enough, then kugler could be here next year. As a fan it seems like we get into these predicaments either with players, cap , injuries or coaches Embarassed

As it is, where would this OL rank in the league? I am not watching other teams , but did see the 49ers just stomp the bills like I have never seen . Are the kuglers in the middle of the league wrt ypc, sacks, pressures etc? Ben isn't in a cast and this OL is better than some in recent years, but a letdown from the high hopes we had Embarassed Starks and Gilbert seem to be decent but the other 3 are inconsistent.

Well 43M, I just thought of a new post Laughing
armsteeld

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people dont understand playing WR. Wallace

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, this is an overreaction....This was the first bad game of the year of Wallace

Secondly, very interresant comment of Asomugha

Quote:
The Eagles weren’t concerned with Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace’s ability to run anything other than a vertical route. Philadelphia put cornerback Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie on Wallace and had Asomugha take Antonio Brown. “We knew (Brown) was their guy who runs every single route that they have,” Asomugha said. “Seventeen was more of a straight down the field guy.” Wallace finished with 17 yards on two catches — his fewest this season. Brown had seven catches for 86 yards.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2734560-85/eagles-game-steelers-yards-zone-asomugha-mccoy-brown-cole-held#ixzz28hcEYueq

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerspower wrote:
First, this is an overreaction....This was the first bad game of the year of Wallace

No its not an overreaction and it has absolutely nothing to do with a bad game, nor is it meant to talk down Wallace in any fashion.

Try reading more carefully before replying.

Steelerspower wrote:

Quote:
The Eagles weren’t concerned with Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace’s ability to run anything other than a vertical route. Philadelphia put cornerback Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie on Wallace and had Asomugha take Antonio Brown. “We knew (Brown) was their guy who runs every single route that they have,” Asomugha said. “Seventeen was more of a straight down the field guy.” Wallace finished with 17 yards on two catches — his fewest this season. Brown had seven catches for 86 yards

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2734560-85/eagles-game-steelers-yards-zone-asomugha-mccoy-brown-cole-held#ixzz28hcEYueq

Because thats some groundbreaking stuff right there, huh?

Oh wait, thats stuff we have known for 3 years? Thats right.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
Some people dont understand playing WR. Wallace

Some really good insight there.
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:

No its not an overreaction and it has absolutely nothing to do with a bad game, nor is it meant to talk down Wallace in any fashion.

Steelerspower wrote:

Quote:
The Eagles weren’t concerned with Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace’s ability to run anything other than a vertical route. Philadelphia put cornerback Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie on Wallace and had Asomugha take Antonio Brown. “We knew (Brown) was their guy who runs every single route that they have,” Asomugha said. “Seventeen was more of a straight down the field guy.” Wallace finished with 17 yards on two catches — his fewest this season. Brown had seven catches for 86 yards

Wallace had nearly 80 yards per game after three games

If you would have made this thread after the game against the raiders, it would not be a overreaction

But made this thread after a 17-yard games vs eagles, this is a overreaction

I'm not worried about Wallace, he'll be right

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerspower wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:

Steelerspower wrote:

Quote:

If you would have made this thread after the game against the raiders, it would not be a overreaction

Swing and a miss.

Strike two.

Once again....its not an overreaction because its not based on any single performance by Wallace. If you actually read and understood the first post, you would know that.
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:

Steelerspower wrote:

Quote:

Swing and a miss.

Strike two.

Once again....its not an overreaction because its not based on any single performance by Wallace. If you actually read and understood the first post, you would know that.

I understand, but at the same time you did this thread after the game against the eagles

Maybe this is not an overreaction, but I have some doubts

Edit:I swing and a HR!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't deserve high money if you aren't consistent. Didn't really watch Wallace every snap, but we should try and throw screens to him and quick slants. Get him out in space.

Btw, uh oh 43's bringing Chapman heat on SteelersPower!! Cool
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelerspower wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
Steelerspower wrote:

Steelerspower wrote:

Quote:

Swing and a miss.

Strike two.

I understand, but at the same time you did this thread after the game against the eagles

Maybe this is not an overreaction, but I have some doubts

Edit:I swing and a HR!!!

You at least connected....but more like a pop fly to the catcher.

The reason I posted it now is because its 4 games in. Quarter of the way through the season, and based on what Ive seen, I dont think its worth $12 mil a year at this point to keep him around. And even $12 mil will not be enough when he hits free agency.

If the TV deals kick in I wont have an issue with it as much, but they may not kick in for a few years from what Ive been hearing.

If I said "Wallace is terrible, dont pay him" you might have a point. Thats not what I said at all.

This is about our current offense, Wallace's role within it, and how much he is worth based on what we have seen thus far.

I want to keep him. Ive made that clear over and over during the offseason. But based on our cap situation and based on me thinking that Wallace isnt as integral to this offense as he was to Arians offense, I wouldnt make alot of sacrafices to clear that money like I would have been if Arians was still calling plays.

I do think we will see more deep plays to Wallace in the coming weeks....I just think this offense under Haley is suited to survive without him. Only things that scare me about letting Wallace walk right now is that a) Sanders still isnt stepping up and b) while Heath is looking great, he will be 30 in two weeks.
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand

if the steelers think that Wallace is replaceable, the steelers are going to let him go, since it would cost 10 millions(not 12 millions) to keep Wallace, but if the Steelers want to keep him, they will put the TAG on Wallace

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he showed more of an intensity when it came to getting the ball on some plays, he would be an excellent WR, instead of just an excellent burner. There's way too many plays where he doesn't fight for the ball or go up to get it, where many other WR's would, and it costs us. It's something I've never liked about him. He'll show great concentration on some balls, but they generally have to be right to him or else he isn't going to make the huge effort on them.

I still think we should of traded him. Is it plausible to tag him and then trade him next off season, I'm not sure how that works. But that would be an ideal scenario. The Steelers philosophy of building through the draft is fine and everything, but they need more picks. They don't just need to hit a couple of HR's in the next draft, they need solid DEPTH in the worst way. Their current core is proven to be unreliable at this point in staying healthy. We're not going to win anything relying on the likes of Ryan Mundy, Doug Legursky, and Larry Foote.

You have a great QB NOW. You have to put a team around that now, and this current team just isn't it. Best-case scenario this year is making the playoffs, barely. This isn't a SB team and anyone can see it. Even fully healthy it isn't, because the talent just isn't there anymore. I hate to say it, but the coaching really isn't either.

Losing Wallace would sting a bit, but Ben is at a level in his career where if you give him a fast WR with decent hands, he can give you another Mike Wallace or a Mike Wallace-lite.
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not think it is a matter of replaceable. Wallace really helps the office even if he is not catching passes because he is doubled most of the time. what I'm not seeing( which I saw last year) is that when he is singled, Ben will see it and go to him.

I think this will come down to economics.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
i do not think it is a matter of replaceable. Wallace really helps the office even if he is not catching passes because he is doubled most of the time. what I'm not seeing( which I saw last year) is that when he is singled, Ben will see it and go to him.

I think this will come down to economics.

Oh I agree...I dont dispute any of that.

The question this thread is asking...point blank...is how much, in terms of money, is Wallace worth to this offense?

Is he worth $12+ million to us? Is he worth that much cap space?

Wallace is a great weapon, but I personally dont know if we would miss him THAT much. Ben has had success through his career with lesser receivers, Thats not to say I want to take away any of his weapons....but again....is it worth THAT much to us?

Thats what it will come down to....and even if the Steelers front office he is worth that cost....the decision then will be if they can ACTUALLY pay it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: