Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Vikes defense under Alan Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this team made Tebow look like unitas last year. They look about 100000000x better than last year, I don't care how mediocre the competition. Count me surprised.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams has definitely earned my support. After deal with Frazier and his passive style of defense, and again seeing it with Pagac at the helm last season, I was expecting Williams to come in and just continue to run the same passive defense. But this guy is running the defense more like what we saw when Tomlin was the defensive coordinator. We are tackling incredibly well, we aren't giving up any big plays down field, and we are creating more turnovers than we have been in the last 5 years.

The only thing I would like to see is better designed blitzes. We do better simply rushing 4 than we do sending an extra blitzer. I would like to see some better designed blitz packages.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...

Last edited by LostRoadStone on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Klomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostRoadStone wrote:
After deal with Frazier and his passive style of defense, and again seeing it with Pagano at the helm last season, I was expecting Williams to come in and just continue to run the same passive defense.

Pagac, not Pagano.
PrplChilPill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On blitzes, most 5 or 6 man blitzes give up more big plays than they prevent, according to the stats.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
LostRoadStone wrote:
After deal with Frazier and his passive style of defense, and again seeing it with Pagano at the helm last season, I was expecting Williams to come in and just continue to run the same passive defense.

Pagac, not Pagano.

Laughing

Sorry, I was watching ESPN talk about Pagano and my finger just went with it.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrplChilPill wrote:
On blitzes, most 5 or 6 man blitzes give up more big plays than they prevent, according to the stats.

i agree.

the purpose of a blitz is disruption at a minimum, and hopefully a sack. if you have a secondary that can cover, your regular four man rush can do the same.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Robison: "I think what it comes down to is players not letting egos get in the way, coaches not letting egos get in the way. He's [Alan Williams] done a great job of understanding what his players are comfortable with and trying to compromise and find a way that we can both get done what we need to get done, and it's resulting in wins so far. He's one of those guys that if you are doing something bad, he's going to pull you to the side and tell you; he's not going to embarrass you. At the same time, if you do something good, he is going to let everybody know about it. He's just a good coach. He's kind of a players coach and we like him, and we like the things that he's doing."

Jamarca Sanford: "It can be tough if you're coming into a locker room with a lot of old vets, guys that have been in the league, and they really know everything or think they know everything. Here, we just bought into whatever he brought and didn't question from Day 1 was he the guy or not or what he brings to the table. Just bought in, believed. Anything you put your mind to you can do."

Percy Harvin: "The defense is playing huge. I said after the game, especially at halftime, I told the 'D' we owe 'em. Last week and definitely this week just past, they kept us in the game big time. If our offense can catch up to where our defense is playing right now, we'll be all right."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21727047/under-alan-williams-vikings-revived-defense-fuels-teams

Webmaster wrote:
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier quote from his Monday press conference

I'm a little biased having a defensive background, but I can't get away from what I believe. I was talking with Jim last week about how I think you win in this league, and do it for the long term and not the short term. And I believe being able to win with good defense, where you can stop the run, not giving up the big plays in the passing game gives you a chance to be successful every week.

If you're not playing good defense, in my mind its hard to win in this league. I know that there are a few teams who have bucked that by putting up a lot of points and yards, but I just think that in the longterm, to be good in our league for a long period, and that's what we are hoping to do, not just a one year wonder or two or three game wonder, you need to be able to play good defense. We're doing that right now.
disaacs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
I know that there are a few teams who have bucked that by putting up a lot of points and yards,

Is this the "Take That, McCarthy and Ted Thompson" shot?

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Klomp wrote:
I know that there are a few teams who have bucked that by putting up a lot of points and yards,

Is this the "Take That, McCarthy and Ted Thompson" shot?

Packers, Saints, Colts come to mind.

BTW look at arguably the six best teams this year: Texans, Falcons, 49ers, Ravens, Bears, Patriots

Most of them built the same way. Strong defense and good running game. Patriots and Falcons might be the only exceptions, but they each have respectable rushing games and dynamic passing attacks, so they don't need the defense to shut out the opponents.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Robison: "Sacks are kind of a misleading number sometimes. Sometimes they reflect how a defense is playing, sometimes they don't. Bottom line is, you always want to get in a quarterback's face, whether you're bringing him down, whether you're just hitting him, whether you're just in his face making him throw the ball away. We've been getting after quarterbacks. Sacks will come. They always say they come in bunches, and hopefully they will. Bottom line is, we've got to keep getting pressure on them like we are. Right now, we're probably putting pressure on the quarterback as much as anybody in the league. We've got to just keep doing it. That's what it's all about: disrupting the quarterback. If the sacks come, they come."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21726020/vikings-brian-robison-were-pressuring-qbs-much-anybody

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Breaking_down_the_tape_from_the_Vikings_win_over_the_Titans100912

I find it interesting that Letroy Guion took 30 snaps and Christian Ballard took 25 snaps. Further, Kevin Williams had 45 snaps. They seem to be limiting him more, perhaps because the game was out of reach they wanted to get more of Ballard in there.

Quote:
DL Christian Ballard (25) returned to invisibility.

Is Ballard ever going to make a difference? He is looking like a wasted pick.

Quote:
WLB Erin Henderson (19 snaps) barely saw the field because the Vikings were in nickel for 72.9% of the snaps, including the last 37 in a row while the Titans tried to play catchup.

Obviously when playing with a big lead, a team is going to run a ton of nickel. No surprise there.

Brinkley blitzed 9 times in 70 snaps and Greenway blitzed 8 times in 70 snaps.

Quote:
Robinson is conceding a lot underneath and receivers know they can outmuscle his jam, but he's not giving up the big play. Neither is CB Chris Cook (6Cool, who allowed five completions for 40 yards in nine targets, mostly late.

Its nice to see that the secondary isnt getting torched, but this defense by design, is prone to giving up a lot of underneath stuff. Seems like a lot of it came when the game was out of reach and MN was probably playing more soft prevent style defense.

Quote:
Fellow rookie S Robert Blanton (52) was remarkably serviceable in Smith's place, and Alan Williams didn't seem to back down from the game plan, putting Blanton in some man-to-man situations. He even stayed home to stop Johnson on a fourth-and-1 draw.

That is awesome that Blanton stepped into the starting role seamlessly, maybe he can be a player who can compete for a permanent starting job opposite of Smith. Blanton seems like a physical and smart player.

Jamarca Sanford continues to show remarkable progression.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran Tarkenton: "In this three-game winning streak, the defense has been sensational. It still is stopping the run and getting pressure like always, but now the defensive backs are making plays, too."

"The Vikings held the 49ers to just 13 points. Even with that game, San Francisco is third in the league in points scored! The 49ers lead the league in rushing yards and yards per carry, but the Vikings shut down the run without letting quarterback Alex Smith beat them."

"Then, in Detroit, Minnesota again only allowed 13 points. Detroit could not run the ball at all, and while Matthew Stafford threw for 319 yards, it took him 51 pass attempts to do it, and he didn't throw for a single touchdown. This is a team with incredible weapons, including the great Calvin Johnson, and the Vikings' secondary more than held its own."

"Finally, last weekend against Tennessee, the Vikings got to face a struggling offense missing its starting quarterback, Jake Locker, and they did what you're supposed to do in that situation: completely shut down the Titans. Chris Johnson had 15 carries for 24 yards, and Matt Hasselbeck needed 26 completions -- and 43 attempts! -- just to hit 200 yards passing."

"Kudos to Leslie Frazier and defensive coordinator Alan Williams for really shoring up that defense, especially in such a high-powered, offense-driven league. The line -- from Jared Allen, Brian Robison and Everson Griffen at the ends to Kevin Williams and Letroy Guion in the interior -- is getting great pressure. Linebacker Chad Greenway has looked great, making plays all over the field. And I have been very impressed with the two rookies in the secondary, Harrison Smith and Josh Robinson."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21733626/fran-tarkenton-minnesota-vikings-deserve-kudos-fixing-defense

Webmaster wrote:
Frank Costello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraizer and Williams have both surprised me quite a bit. I did not believe the backbone of the 2012 Minnesota Vikings was going to be our defense.

But I like it. Cool
Klomp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the chart shows, the Vikings are using seven defensive linemen as part of a regular rotation, much as they did last season. Both Allen and Robison have played 90 percent of the Vikings' snaps, according to Pro Football Focus (PFF). Some of the 34 plays Allen has missed can be attributed to a neck injury he suffered in a Week 3 victory over the San Francisco 49ers.

The primary change: Williams has found a way to double the snaps for play-making defensive end/tackle/linebacker Everson Griffen. According to PFF, Griffen has played 98 snaps as a defensive tackle, 69 as a defensive end and 15 as a linebacker. In those appearances, Griffen has three sacks, eight quarterback hits and a fumble recovery.

Griffen's time as an interior pass-rusher has indirectly allowed the Vikings to provide more rest for defensive tackle Kevin Williams, 32, who last season played in 79 percent of the Vikings' total snaps despite missing two games because of an NFL suspension.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/47676/everson-griffen-and-vikings-dl-rotation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 6 of 27

Jump to: