Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

State of the Team - Q1
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Team Grade through Q1
A
22%
 22%  [ 11 ]
B
73%
 73%  [ 36 ]
C
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
D
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 49

disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the season ended today, the Vikings would be the #3 seed in the playoffs, facing the Cowboys the first round. They'd be the only representative from the NFC North.

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture?module=HP11_cp

I think that's worthy of a B grade. Wink

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Klomp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now knowing what we know, let's look at the second quarter

10.07 vs Tennessee
Lets not sugarcoat anything, the Titans are one of the worst teams in the NFL. We should win this game...as long as we don't fall into a trap.

10.14 at Washington
This game will definitely be more difficult than the Titans game. However, I still think we have a very good chance of coming away with a win in our first grass game of the season.

10.21 vs Arizona
This is shaping up to be our most difficult game of the first half, something no one expected going into the season. However, the Cardinals are still winless in 7 Metrodome appearances.

10.25 vs Tampa Bay
Thank goodness we won't have to travel anywhere for the short week! From what I've read, the Bucs have started this year similar to how we started last year. Fast starts, but slow finishes. The Bucs capitalized on that last year against us, but hopefully we can return the favor in our first Thursday night game at the Dome since 2000. Crowd will be rocking!

Now I'm not saying we'll be 7-1, but I wouldn't put it out of the realm of possibility either. I'd say 6-2 or maybe 5-3.
ktarinze

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give it a B+. Didn't expect us to be doing this good so far.
LostRoadStone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to give hem an "A".

Even the most optimistic fans only had the Vikings going 2-2 in the first four games, and those wins were predicted to be against Jacksonville and Indianapolis, with losses happening against San Francisco and Detroit. Well, we won the two toughest teams on the schedule so far, and we beat arguably the best team in the NFC convincingly.

The offense looks like a unit full of youth and inexperience, and they are still trying to find their rhythm. But the defense has surpassed all expectations that anyone had. We've held our opponents to an average of 18 points per game. That's outstanding considering that the vast majority of people were expecting to see something closer to 28 PPG.

Quote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a sports agent, a player, a coach, or an NFL front office executive and I don't play one on TV. So basically, there's a good chance I'm full of BS, but maybe not...
ArcticNorseman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the team a B for its 1st quarter grade.

They played two games exceptionally well after starting with two shaky games. I predicted a 2-2 start, so this is gravy.

I am not surprised Musgrave and Ponder are clicking, but I am surprised they're as efficient as they are. A lot of that has to do with the O-Line, and by all accounts, for a new group, they're playing solid ball.

The defense is where they should be Top-10. True, no one really knew how well center corps would develop with Guion, Brinkley and Smith all being new starters. With the overall talent and blend of experience, I like their progress and they definitely have lived up to the billing projected by the coaching staff.

Continuing to the 2nd quarter, consistency and injury-free should produce at least another B. However, I look for this team to evolve, just like every other team in the NFL is trying to do. This next 4 games are critical to driving to a winning record.

I'm not going to get carried away with "the Vikes will definitely win the NFC North" at this point. There's just tooooooo many games remaining.

Realistically, the Vikes will play one or two bad games; however, I believe they run a 4-0 record in the 2nd quarter.

Yes, that would put them at 7-1 at the halfway point . . . but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see those last 8 games as real challenges. I just hope prayers are answered that the Vikes go at least 3-3 in the division.
Purple Faithful

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, Vikes are 3-1 & could be 0-4. Record is record, they get an "A". a win is a win is a win. Now, they will have to count on teams actually preparing to play the Vikes defense & special teams, so the offense will have to hit pay dirt more in the future, i would assume, but the bears have lasted entire seasons with only defense & special teams (the 13-3 year of smoke & mirrors) , so who cares. ride it, guys.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier: "We've all seen teams that have gotten off to good starts, and they're nowhere to be found when December rolls around. We don't want to be one of those teams. We know we have a lot of work to do. All of us have been around long enough to know there are no champagne bottles popped in September, so we have to be smart. In that second quarter, it starts to separate. You start seeing the teams that are for real and those that are pretenders. We want to be a team that is for real."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21689190/veterans-have-kept-vikings-focused-through-3-1

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purple Faithful wrote:
lol, Vikes are 3-1 & could be 0-4. Record is record, they get an "A". a win is a win is a win. Now, they will have to count on teams actually preparing to play the Vikes defense & special teams, so the offense will have to hit pay dirt more in the future, i would assume, but the bears have lasted entire seasons with only defense & special teams (the 13-3 year of smoke & mirrors) , so who cares. ride it, guys.

The Vikes very well could be 2-2. Or 4-0. It seems like for most teams a great majority of the games come down to one or two game changing plays, and there usually seems to most always be a one score difference. Look at last year and all the close games MN lost. This year, the Vikings are finding ways to win them.

The only convincing win this year was against the 49ers of all teams.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, didn't want to stat a new thread and figured this could go here. How is Kalil doing? How did yall feel when yall drafted him? I think we were in the same situation when we draft JJ Watt. We saw him as a solid conner stone guy but not flashy (little did we know) but that's how you build a franchise. So I figured with yalls hot start Kalil had to be protecting Ponders blindside pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalil = good.

very solid player.
hasn't given up a sack.
blocked a kick.
very good teammate.

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen: “It’s exciting to know that every week you have a chance. It’s exciting to know that with so many questions going into this year, it’s exciting to answer ‘OK, if we play our best, we have a chance to beat anybody in the NFL.’ And we’re pretty darn good if we play our best. That’s why you have to put trust in the front office, trust in the coach. That’s their job. My job is to prepare and do what I need to do to help our team win. After going through training camp and watching these guys, how hard they work and seeing our young guys really step up and take leadership roles and just play football, it’s been fun.”

Frazier: “Everything you’re seeing now is a byproduct of what happened this offseason with our players. They are to be congratulated for showing up and allowing our coaches to work with them and really put them through the paces so we could get this thing turned around and headed in the right direction. That’s how you change the culture.”

Ponder: “I know everyone else is surprised that we’re 4-1. What stinks is what we should be 5-0.”

http://min.scout.com/2/1228095.html

Webmaster wrote:
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to go overboard, but if the season ended today, the Vikings would have a 1st rd bye...

http://www.nfl.com/playoffs/playoff-picture?module=HP11_content_stream

Thx to Uncle Buck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: