Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Lions not as close as we think?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lions1957

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not be surprised Shocked that the GM is from KC Wink . Since his team got their head handed to them Embarassed , and Mayhew refused to shake his hand Crying or Very sad . Sounds like alot of sour grapes in his article Think .
"Thanks TK". Gone but not forgotten, #71 Alex Karras.
Maverick12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lions1957 wrote:
I would not be surprised Shocked that the GM is from KC Wink . Since his team got their head handed to them Embarassed , and Mayhew refused to shake his hand Crying or Very sad . Sounds like alot of sour grapes in his article Think .

My first thoughts as well Laughing That and SF come to mind first haha. As for the article some of his points are valid and its a dose of reality some of us might need. I still think this team has a bright future, just need to get some solid secondary players.
lions1957

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maverick12 wrote:
lions1957 wrote:

My first thoughts as well Laughing That and SF come to mind first haha. As for the article some of his points are valid and its a dose of reality some of us might need. I still think this team has a bright future, just need to get some solid secondary players.

There might be some valid points Rolling Eyes ,but this reeks of an axe grinding party Wink . The dude ripped the Lions practically on every position Not talking ., sorry I don't buy that Speak to the hand. We lost against SF, who is a good team, and maybe the best in the NFC Think . We lost to the Vikings, who beat SF, and lead the division Think . Both games were close, and we should have won the Viking game if not for special teams. The Titan game we had the offense, and we could not keep them off the board Embarassed . We really should be 3-1 at this point Rolling Eyes ,but a loss is a loss Cool . We have really dug a hole d'oh! , which might be difficult to climb out of Brick wall .
"Thanks TK". Gone but not forgotten, #71 Alex Karras.
lions on top

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree with the article saying we're easy to stop on offense but what I think that comes down to is us needing a coaching change more than anything else. I've backed this coaching staff, especially Schwartz, since day one tooth and nail and I thought I'd be the last to be saying this but we just are too plain in every area of the game. Look at the good teams in the NFL these days, they confuse you on defense, moving their best players all around, forcing mismatches, do different blitzing. On offense same thing, these coaches that are strategist have been tearing up the scene in the NFL.

Look at how the teams that have beat us so far have done it, they don't simply try to throw to their best player (CJ) every player and if he's covered dump it off to their tightend (Pettigrew). On defense we do have too much confidence in our d-line, I know our secondary isn't very good and we need all the help we can get but really it's not hard to game-plan against the same 4 rushers on first and second down (who you know are going to be aggressive against the pass and open things up for draws, whams and play action and line up wide) and speed rushers on third down. There's no element of surprise. I think we have talent but I don't think we're using it right.

As for our worst area of the game, special teams, I think we need dramatic changes. Pete Carroll sends his eleven best players on the field for fourth downs and kickoffs knowing how important it is. Why don't we do that? On a important play have Houston and Delmas as gunners, on and important return maybe but CJ in to jam the opposing gunner.

Moral of the story it's getting hard to watch us have the exact same play call week in and week out and just assume it's going to catch our opponent by surprise. That's not how the NFL is played anymore, we see the finished product of the game but a whole week of planning goes into that game and coaches use that week to plan for our vanilla play style. Maybe Schwartz doesn't have to go and maybe he could play a bigger roll on calling plays for the defense since that's really where his background lies in but I think Gunner, Linehan and Crossman have worn out their welcome in Detroit.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant stand this kind of stuff. It really isnt even a matter of your own opinion. If it was, we would of heard this before. This is just someone else kicking you when your down, because they feared you before.

bdubs3316

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:

The only player untouchable on the Lions roster is CJ. The rest are not playing at a level required for success at the NFL level.

Not sure I agree here...

Even though Stafford isn't having a great year...he's had several TDs dropped on him. He's another that I would put as a definite untouchable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdubs3316 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

The only player untouchable on the Lions roster is CJ. The rest are not playing at a level required for success at the NFL level.

Not sure I agree here...

Even though Stafford isn't having a great year...he's had several TDs dropped on him. He's another that I would put as a definite untouchable.

He's also only 24. He has a lot of time left to grow and develop into a better QB, and he did throw for over 5,000 yards and 41 TD's last year in his first full year as a starter at the ripe old age of 23. There will be growing pains, sure, but the talent is there.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdubs3316 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Not sure I agree here...

Stafford is a fine young talent. He is probably untouchable to the franchise.

I don't view Stafford the same way.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
bdubs3316 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Not sure I agree here...

IMO everyone is available for the right price, but there is I guarantee no one would offer even close to the price I would want for CJ and Stafford. So for all intents and purposes, yeah I'd say those two are untouchable.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMcTilty wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
bdubs3316 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Not sure I agree here...

IMO everyone is available for the right price, but there is I guarantee no one would offer even close to the price I would want for CJ and Stafford. So for all intents and purposes, yeah I'd say those two are untouchable.

I'm sure the franchise feels the same way as you do.

In Stafford's case if I were GM the asking price would be lower than CJ.

I just don't view Stafford as highly as many on here do and for the right return I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to pull the trigger.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
BlackandBlue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
JSMcTilty wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
bdubs3316 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Not sure I agree here...

I just don't view Stafford as highly as many on here do and for the right return I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to pull the trigger.

Stafford is at worst a serviceable starting QB. If we were to get rid of him, where would be find another? There are teams that have been searching for a starting QB for decades. The Lions were one of those teams.

The Lions without Stafford are basically the Jets.
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:

At least the Jets have CB's. Laughing

But seriously, without Stafford they still have Shaun Hill, and he's a better QB than anyone on the Jets roster.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
BlackandBlue wrote:

At least the Jets have CB's. Laughing

But seriously, without Stafford they still have Shaun Hill, and he's a better QB than anyone on the Jets roster.

YlionsY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a few of the statements are out there and it does seem bitter but some of the evaluations are spot on. I agree with the Dline evaluation.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackandBlue wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
JSMcTilty wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:
bdubs3316 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Not sure I agree here...

Stafford is at worst a serviceable starting QB. If we were to get rid of him, where would be find another? There are teams that have been searching for a starting QB for decades. The Lions were one of those teams.

While the Lions may have been searching for decades we have seen numerous teams able to create competent teams with QB's that don't have Shaun Hills ability.

There may not be an Andrew Luck available every year but there are certainly plenty of options and with the number of quality picks coming back the other way in any trade I like the Lions chances.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: