Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chan Gailey shall not be fired.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swolfdab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Chan Gailey shall not be fired. Reply with quote

Don't be fooled by the thread title... Gailey needs to go, but to be honest there's nobody on the Bills staff worth firing him for. The Bills coaching staff is one of the worst in the league and obviously, they would have to promote somebody once they fire Gailey. (Which would be worse than letting one of the players coach the team.)

So, we have to ride it out this year, and hire somebody who will motivate this club to give 110% at all times, get rid of the Fitz, and revamp that defense. Because I truly believe that the talent is there.

Even though they gave Mario all that money, I still think the team's success is more important than a contract; so I don't think the fact that he is strictly a 4-3 end will prevent the front office from exploring all options.

Guys on the hot-list for me are:

Vic Fangio
Ray Horton
Chip Kelly
Kirby Smart

Talk to me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy I wanted 3 years ago was Brian Billick. I think he'd still be a viable option. I would say Brian Kelly too, but I don't want him leaving my Irish any time soon haha.

I agree with you that Gailey shouldn't be fired, but I really hope we don't bring him back after this year when, if I'm not mistaken, his contract is up.
BBF doesn't get run over by cars, cars get run over by BBF
BillsGuy82

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBillsFan13 wrote:
The guy I wanted 3 years ago was Brian Billick. I think he'd still be a viable option. I would say Brian Kelly too, but I don't want him leaving my Irish any time soon haha.

I agree with you that Gailey shouldn't be fired, but I really hope we don't bring him back after this year when, if I'm not mistaken, his contract is up.

I could live with Brian Billick, if this team doesn't finish above .500 he has to go
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already touched on this in 2 other forums, so I'm going to get my lame on and quote myself! Laughing

Yibbyl wrote:
(snip)

4) Chan Freakin' Gailey...can't stand him as a HC. Never have. I used to bad mouth him like my life depended on it, but this past year or longer I've tried to bite my tongue. Truth is, I actually would like him as an OC. I'm serious. There's no getting around the fact that he is creative in working up run plays and has designed a passing attack that usually negates any team's ability to rush the QB. His lack of energy however, (meaning in the last 2 games I have not once seen him get in anyone's face for poor play) negatively translates to the team. He seems to have no motivational ability and IMHO our team plays flat as a result. It's like he's a robot. These guys need to get their butts chewed out when they stink up the field. They need to be encouraged when we are down and need to strike to get back in the game. I've never seen or heard him do anything even remotely close to that. Any idea if Curtis Modkins has those traits or has learned enough of the offense to step up relatively soon? When Wanny hits the road, I'd like to see Gailey leading the way!

and

Yibbyl wrote:
(responding to marshawn lynch, who had mentioned that Vic was a 3-4 coach and didn't want the team to change systems again)

My thought on Vic as well. I'm interested in 2 DC's to replace Gailey...Bradley from Seattle and Tucker from Jacksonville. Bradley is super creative with his D's and they play HARD for him. Last year Tucker had the Jaguars playing with a top 10 D on a team that couldn't move the ball at all. Either one of those guys would have me attempting (not doing) cartwheels! With the influx of a defensive minded HC, I would probably look to keep Curtis Modkins as our OC. I like our offense, it's the D that makes me want to puke!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip Kelly's name really sticks out on your list. Pac 10 coaches have had great success recently in the NFL. See Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh. My one problem with him is that he is an offensive mind much like Gailey.

Like I said in the other thread. I really like Fewell. He could get pressure with our talented front four.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you posted this when I already had smoething up asking peoples thoughts on who would be a candidate for the HC job next year.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=501460

Thanks Max
swolfdab

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
Like I said in the other thread. I really like Fewell. He could get pressure with our talented front four.

Fewell should have been the guy once Jauron left, but the front office is out of touch. I would have given him a chance, for sure. Now he's a super bowl champion and we're stuck with what we got!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
Chip Kelly's name really sticks out on your list. Pac 10 coaches have had great success recently in the NFL. See Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh. My one problem with him is that he is an offensive mind much like Gailey.

I gotta think we burned our bridges with Fewell, we had a chance to retain him at HC and we let him go. Obv that didnt sit well with him, so I doubt he would want to come back to this organization.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Horton would be a good hire, he has said he wants to win Rings at all four levels of his career (player, positional coach, coordinator, head coach), but I am not sure he would turn down a HC job to wait to see IF he wins a ring as a coordinator.

I think Chip Kelly is going to be a revalation in the NFL I think he really deserves a shot, but it is going to take a pretty penny to tear him away from Oregon.

Head Coaches are often hard to pin point becasue for many their reason for success as a coordinator are the same reasons why they struggle as a Head Coach (Too much micro management, not enough at the macro level)

I would be iffy on Fangio. That 49ers defense was always great, even before he got there, they were just so often hung out to dry by their offense, speding 32-35 minutes a game on the field, on short fields, it stacks up.

I would not be adverse to interviewing a guy like Rick Dennisson, especially with the backs you already have on the roster. Casey Bradley is another guy who might deserve interveiws as could Greg Roman.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Yibbyl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
Ray Horton would be a good hire, he has said he wants to win Rings at all four levels of his career (player, positional coach, coordinator, head coach), but I am not sure he would turn down a HC job to wait to see IF he wins a ring as a coordinator.

I think Chip Kelly is going to be a revalation in the NFL I think he really deserves a shot, but it is going to take a pretty penny to tear him away from Oregon.

Head Coaches are often hard to pin point becasue for many their reason for success as a coordinator are the same reasons why they struggle as a Head Coach (Too much micro management, not enough at the macro level)

I would be iffy on Fangio. That 49ers defense was always great, even before he got there, they were just so often hung out to dry by their offense, speding 32-35 minutes a game on the field, on short fields, it stacks up.

I would not be adverse to interviewing a guy like Rick Dennisson, especially with the backs you already have on the roster. Casey Bradley is another guy who might deserve interveiws as could Greg Roman.

I like Horton, but after recently switching to the 4-3 and staffing the D to play that system, I'm reluctant to blow it all up and start over again. And frankly, Horton will have a few teams to choose from...if I'm honest with myself, I have to admit that the Buffalo organization may not be the most desirable one to go to due to stadium issues, the age of the owner, etc. There could be a lot of changes he'd have no control over.

I do not know Bradley personally, but we have mutual friends, most who played with him in college. Many of these friends own their own businesses, run schools, and gov't programs and they all have said that they expect him one day to lead an NFL team and that he is a natural leader who excels at lighting fires under people's butts. I want that kind of energy from a HC, so that is one of the reasons he's on my short list.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yibbyl wrote:
I do not know Bradley personally, but we have mutual friends, most who played with him in college. Many of these friends own their own businesses, run schools, and gov't programs and they all have said that they expect him one day to lead an NFL team and that he is a natural leader who excels at lighting fires under people's butts. I want that kind of energy from a HC, so that is one of the reasons he's on my short list.

You also only have to look back at these facts;

He coached in Tampa Bay under Mote Kiffin, so he knows the principles of the Tampa 2 defense and the like, but he rarely reverts to that, he runs a scheme that will get the best from his players, a lot of pree man with those big corners they have in Seattle.

Motre Kiffin gave him a sparkling review to Jim L Mora which basically gave Bradley his break to be the DC in Seattle when Mora was the coach there. He was then one of very few coaches reatined on staff when Pete Carroll arrived.

He has turned a defense that had struggled in Seattle into one of the best in the league with a relatively similar talent base along with a few cast offs from other teams, the likes of Alan Branch and Brandon Browner, mid round picks in Chancellor, Wright and Sherman.

Casey Bradley would be a guy I would love to have as a HC, especially if he bought a guy like Rocky Seto with him from Seattle to be the DC.

SteveJohnson13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Gruden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey Bradley is probably going to get a job somewhere down the line but I don't think next season has his name written on it.

If we're going to give a guy with a lack of NFL experience a shot, I think Chip Kelly or Kirby Smart would be better options. I promise you that if Ralph and Russ sat down with either of those guys for an interview, they would have a real hard time not calling either of them back with a job offer.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swolfdab wrote:
Casey Bradley is probably going to get a job somewhere down the line but I don't think next season has his name written on it.

If we're going to give a guy with a lack of NFL experience a shot, I think Chip Kelly or Kirby Smart would be better options. I promise you that if Ralph and Russ sat down with either of those guys for an interview, they would have a real hard time not calling either of them back with a job offer.

Why Smart? He has only spent one season in the NFL as a positional coach, and as a DC at Alabama he has done well working under/with Nick Saban, but the bulk of that Alabama defense is Saban's design and the talent they have on the defensive side of the football it would be very tough not to have success with them.

I am not all that impressed with what he has done. Chip Kelly, yeah. Smart, not so much.

bzane

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it could be said that the Bills are playing Gailey, so at least he's put his stamp on the team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Buffalo Bills All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: