Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Somebody Had to Do it - The Jake Long/2013 Cap Thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Somebody Had to Do it - The Jake Long/2013 Cap Thread Reply with quote

Since the salary cap in the NFL is ungodly complicated, I was wondering if anyone was in the know enough to let me know approximately what the cap situation is for St. Louis going into 2013.

Specifically, my question is around Jake Long. With him likely not being able to stay in Miami, could we afford him, and could we do so without being unable to then extend key youngsters (JJ, Quinn, etc.)? Would a move like this be intelligent? Long will undoubtedly try and be paid like the best tackle in football, but the Rams have such a glaring need and he is such an impact player.

Obviously being able to add a player like Long to the LT spot, coupled with 2 first round draft picks would allow us a ton of flexibility to potentially go WR and safety (Eric Reid please?), while then adding any of a RT, OLB, or BPA at the top of the 2nd.

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
maladeen3917

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im guessing in this case we would then be moving saffold over to right tackle? We would then be sporting a line of Long ? Wells Dahl Saffold ?. I dont mind it at all and would love if womack would become our LG in this scenario.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can break this down alot more later when I have the time. But what it really comes down to is:

Can it be done? Yes

Should it be done? Here is your debate, & I say its a pretty strong No

Last year we were projecting somewhere between $40-$45 million in cap room for 2013. Now if we still had that Number it would be a no brainer to go get the Top players out there.

But now you add in the New deals for Long (getting almost an even $13 mil every year) Laurinaitis (gets $12 mil for next year and then decreases) Finnegan ($15 mil next season then decreases) & Langford ($6-7 mil for the next 3 years) and you have pretty much sucked all that room dry.

Now with Steven's contract voided for next year, and the likelyhood that Mikell is cut saving $6mil in '13 and about $10mil in '14 we have some room (about $15-$15 depending on how much bonus we actually owe mikell). But, there are still guys they likely want to bring back like Bradley Fletcher this year. Dunbar and Saffold will be in the final years of their deal during next season. There will be other depth guys they want back like Turner or Hayes, maybe even Gibson or Dahl and those all add up.

The 2013 Salary Cap is staying almost Flat, which is something new that most teams havent built in, and we got lucky that we had so much room that it didnt matter, But it is going to be hard to bring in anyone else (even Draft picks) if we want to break the bank for a guy like Jake Long.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt think it would be out of the question. I would think that if he is a free agent and Fisher wants him bad enough... He will find a way.

I sure would like to see it happen, but for the money we would get better value for drafting a LT for a fraction of the cost.

1. Marcus Mariota
2. Brett Hundley
3. Bryce Petty
4. Jameis Winston
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake Long has been semi-mediocre this season from what I've heard...

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to have him as he's light years better than what we throw out at OT 90% of the time, but not at the potential price point he's looking for...

IDOG_det on the sig...
S-jax39

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we are going to make a splash, Id honestly rather Mike Wallace and Saffold then Jake Long and whoever.
S-jax39

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the more I think about it, the more I truly feel that we could be contenders if this offseason we added Mike Wallace. I honestly dont know what our cap is looking like, so Im not taking that into consideration.

We address the oline, safety and rb position in the draft and I think we would be a young up and coming team.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While he'd be nice to add on paper it's not likely to happen based on the money Long will command in FA. Draft a couple tackles and a guard.
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see us adding Long. I don't think we'll quite make that sizable of a splash. Don't be surprised if we sign a mid level OL FA and sign either a big time WR or defensive player(S or LB).

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
ramssuperbowl99

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice opinions thus far, thanks to stlunatic88 for the cap analysis.

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
MISTA314

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah even with the possibilities of Jackson being brought back at a reduced rate and mikell more than likely being cut, I still don't think signing Long would allow us much flexibility anywhere else. Ryan Clady on the other hand may be a better option at a cheaper price point. His first few years he was really coming into his own. Alot had to do with how much they ran during (Tebow time) as that is definately Clady's best attribute. IMO the only category Long is rated higher than Clady in is pass blocking, and not by much. I believe Clady would be perfect for our offense and if we are to make a run at a name OT I hope it's Clady.
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MISTA314 wrote:
Yeah even with the possibilities of Jackson being brought back at a reduced rate and mikell more than likely being cut, I still don't think signing Long would allow us much flexibility anywhere else. Ryan Clady on the other hand may be a better option at a cheaper price point. His first few years he was really coming into his own. Alot had to do with how much they ran during (Tebow time) as that is definately Clady's best attribute. IMO the only category Long is rated higher than Clady in is pass blocking, and not by much. I believe Clady would be perfect for our offense and if we are to make a run at a name OT I hope it's Clady.
There are a whole bunch of OTs set right now to reach Free Agency. We know some wont, but a decent about would. Im not sure if thats how we should go about getting our OT, but we could.

Clady likely wont be cheap either, But if we were going to go sign a LT then he is the one who I would like to. BUT there is only one way I would like that. If we made the complete effort to be a Zone Blocking Offense. But with Shcotty & Boudreau I dont think that is going to happen. Its the only way that Saffold would be good enough at RT or LG.

I watched the All 22 of the 4 Quarters he has played this year, & Oh Man does he look good. There are only like 2 plays he lets a guy get close to Sam. One was when Suddenly Corey Williams/Nick Fairley (couldnt tell) was out on him and he just Bull Rushed him, yet he still recovered and shielded him past Sam. And the other was the play he got hurt, where Orakpo just got him. BUt for the Quarter+ of play against Orakpo it was the only play he was close to beating Rodger.

And in the Lions game he handled 4 different type of pass rushers, shut them all down. He took care of VanDen Bosch, Cliff Avril, the DTs stand up rushers. He looks 100x better than last season.
MISTA314

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
MISTA314 wrote:
There are a whole bunch of OTs set right now to reach Free Agency. We know some wont, but a decent about would. Im not sure if thats how we should go about getting our OT, but we could.

Clady likely wont be cheap either, But if we were going to go sign a LT then he is the one who I would like to. BUT there is only one way I would like that. If we made the complete effort to be a Zone Blocking Offense. But with Shcotty & Boudreau I dont think that is going to happen. Its the only way that Saffold would be good enough at RT or LG.

I watched the All 22 of the 4 Quarters he has played this year, & Oh Man does he look good. There are only like 2 plays he lets a guy get close to Sam. One was when Suddenly Corey Williams/Nick Fairley (couldnt tell) was out on him and he just Bull Rushed him, yet he still recovered and shielded him past Sam. And the other was the play he got hurt, where Orakpo just got him. BUt for the Quarter+ of play against Orakpo it was the only play he was close to beating Rodger.

And in the Lions game he handled 4 different type of pass rushers, shut them all down. He took care of VanDen Bosch, Cliff Avril, the DTs stand up rushers. He looks 100x better than last season.

Your preaching to the choir bro. I'm with you. I was making the point that if we were to go for a name OT in FA then Clady is the guy i want not Long. Although i do feel we will grab an OT in FA, i don't think it will be one of the bell cows of the bunch. I too believe that Saffold is more than capable of holding down the blind side (assuming he hasn't suddenly become injury prone.) Everyone always excuses Bradford's struggles due to operating under 3 different systems in 3 years. Well Saffold has been in the same boat and i think he has done very well. I believe all we need is a RT and a LG and we should be fine. How we get them is the question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: