Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jacksonville Gameday Experience

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Jacksonville Gameday Experience Reply with quote

Hello everybody from I65 just north of Indi. On my way home from the game in Jacksonville and thought I'd post some notes.

Our group of six rolled into Jacksonville a little after noon Eastern. On the road to Everbank, we passed the Bears hotel. Busses were lined up and a decent size group of fans were gathered and cheering.

Parked in Lot X, southeast of the stadium, right on the banks of whatever river it is that runs through town. The lot was maybe a little smaller than the Adler lot in Chicago, and it was probably 40-50% Bears fans. We hoisted our flag 20' in the air (visible through the whole lot) and set up our tailgate.

As we finished setup, we heard sirens and saw a convoy of cops leading the busses to the stadium, which got a cheer from the Bear fans who saw it.

Temps were pretty high, upper 80s and humid with a lot of sun. Made it very important to down some water between beers.

Had a lot of Bear fans come by and talk to us, compliment our tailgate setup, and take photos.

Packed up our tailgate about 45 minutes before kickoff and made the walk to the stadium. Most of the walk was down aisles of tailgaters, and a few Jags fans opted to speak their minds on our presence. But there were some decently-sized navy and orange crowds talking back and getting some cheers going.

Got up to our seats right at kickoff and was surprised to see the Jags in their alternate black jerseys given the weather. Lots of Bears fans filled Everbank; I'd say it was maybe 1/5th or 1/6th. It looked like they had removed the tarp from one section, and it was mostly orange.

Jags fans were rowdier than I expected. They got loud on 3rd downs and in the red zone. Unfortunately, there were a lot of Bears fans also cheering at the same time, adding to the noise. When the Jags had the ball on 3rd downs, they were working with fairly little noise.

The Bear fans were a little more at-ease than I had expected, until Tillman's pick for a TD. Every score and big play after that, more teal and gold colors started to head for the exits, leaving mostly orange and blue that kept getting rowdier.

Bears left the field to a good-sized crowd greeting them at the tunnel, and there were a lot of cheers going on during the exit.

Overall it was a total blast. I wish the Bears faithful would have "gotten up" more during the first half, but everybody was tense when it wasn't toal dominance from the start. Can't argue with the final score, though.
chitownstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the game too. I thought it was funny how loud it got when the Jags had the ball because the Bears fans were more excited cheering for the offense. It seemed more like 50/50 in Jags and Bears fans. I was sitting in the front of the 2ed deck behind the Bears bench and there were only a handful of Jags fans nearby. That was the first time going to Everbank field and overall it was a great gameday experience. One thing that stood out was how easy it was park and then leave after the game. Great stadium location right on the bay, It took us like 5 mins from the lot to the expressway. Alot better than Soldier field in that aspect.

Willie Young - Adopt a Bear

#TurnUp
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good part: the porto-potties. The longest that I had to wait to use one was 3-4 minutes, and there were instances when I saw nobody in line. Same deal at Miami two years ago. Compare this to Chicago, where having to use the bathroom essentially means you will be gone from your tailgate for at least a half hour. I don't understand why this is such an ongoing issue.
CBears019

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Another good part: the porto-potties. The longest that I had to wait to use one was 3-4 minutes, and there were instances when I saw nobody in line. Same deal at Miami two years ago. Compare this to Chicago, where having to use the bathroom essentially means you will be gone from your tailgate for at least a half hour. I don't understand why this is such an ongoing issue.

Chicagoans drink more beer than Floridians? Let's go with that.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 77 Yds: 821 TD: 6

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:

Chicagoans drink more beer than Floridians? Let's go with that.

Haha that's possible. All I know is I had to walk half as far to find a toilet and there were twice as many.

It's not just limited to the Bears games. I've run into the same issue at Toyota Park and FMBA as well.
Ballennonstop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I flew down from NY to see this game. The Hampton Inn we stayed at was full of navy and orange, high-fives and "Bear Downs". It was a great vibe.

We were in the corner end zone 129 z lower level facing the sun which was kind of brutal (read it was the hottest game day temp for the Bears since 1990). But the fact that we were surrounded by Bears fans made up for all that. Seriously, it had to be 35-40% Bear fans in Everbank at the start of the game. By the 4th quarter it was 80% friendly's. It was a beautiful sight. I remember going to take a leak and seeing nothing but bear fans lined up shoulder to shoulder.

I swear your average fan is way smarter than your average "game fan" because the noise levels when we were on offense were through the roof. (Noise when jags were on offense was little to almost none at times). Much of the noise was coming from surrounding Bear fans. I was on a crusade to hush these fans nearby and I'd like to think it helped but probably not lol.

The first half was painful to watch. Second half made up for it and then some. The "Packers suck" chant that broke out outside the stadium was all time and won't be forgotten for a long time! Good times. Way to show up in a big way chi-town! 4-1 baby
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballennonstop wrote:
The "Packers suck" chant that broke out outside the stadium was all time and won't be forgotten for a long time!

There were a few "Packers suck" chants going on in the stadium during the game. A cheer went up from our section when the final score of the GB/IND game came up on the scoreboard.

OH, there were also two people in Aaron Rodgers jerseys in our section who angrily stormed out with the Jags fans when the game started getting out of hand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: