Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Fun Draft Debate: Winning… good or bad?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:17 pm    Post subject: The Fun Draft Debate: Winning… good or bad? Reply with quote

On the heels of our first win, the enthusiasm of the victory has many Saints fans thinking playoff run. While we are by no means out of the playoff chase, the 0-4 hole we dug for ourselves combined with the strength of schedule we face from here on out put’s our chances at the post season as a long-shot at best.

What this recent victory did display in this team, if anything else is that they won’t go away quietly and that they still have a lot of fight left in them. So, based on the thinking that this team (while competitive) will not make the playoffs but will reel off a winning streak in the process ending up picking somewhere in-between picks 16-20 falling out of the top 15 selections in the upcoming NFL draft. Where do you realistically see the Saints going with their pick with the assumption that they are unable to either trade neither up nor down?

Let’s consider for a second that the drafts top 15 selections (in no specific order) goes like this…

1. Geno Smith QB West Virginia
2. Jarvis Jones LB Georgia
3. Jon Hankins DT Ohio State
4. Keke Mingo DE LSU
5. Star Lotulelei DT Utah
6. Matt Barkley QB Southern Cal
7. Bjoern Werner DE Florida State
8. Luke Joeckel OT Texas A&M
9. Sam Montgomery DE LSU
10. Eric Reid FS LSU
11. Dee Milliner CB Alabama
12. Robert Woods WR Southern Cal
13. Manti Te’o LB Notre Dame
14. Chance Warmack OG Alabama
15. Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina

Give your top 5 choices the Saints should consider in this situation and your opinion if the run was worth the fall.

First, I’ll start off by saying that I’ll NEVER root for us to lose! Call me crazy but even if we were 0-15 and needed another loss to secure the top overall draft choice I still could not bring myself to root against this team.

So, to me… Yes a run is definitely worth the fall. Yes I understand the odds are stacked up against us. We are missing our coach and our defense is a work in process. I get the fact that this team in the grand scheme of things would likely be better off securing a top 10 selection and building towards rebounding in the 2013 season. Still, I cannot do it. As long as this team takes the field I will root for a win regardless of the situation and let the chips fall where they may come draft day.

Now on to this specific draft scenario…

While I will always root for this team to win, I do feel the playoffs are farfetched. Yes we played much better last night but I feel a lot of that was emotion and the season will for the most part turn out to be much more of a struggle without our leader (Payton) on the sidelines. I’m not holding my breath for a reduction in suspension’s from the commissioner’s office and the players suspensions are a mute point at this stage in my opinion. I feel this team offensively will continue to me very productive and will be good for at least 5-6 more wins. Defensively, while were improving in our understandings in Spagnuolo’s scheme concepts. Spags simply does not have the personal required to run his system effectively and so this defense will continue to struggle for the most part while occasionally looking impressive at times (like last night).

I honestly can see a 6-10 to 8-8 season on the horizon presumably landing the Saints in that 15-20 range in the 1st round on the NFL draft. The players I have going 1-15 to me are the blue-chip players of this class and realistically could all be off the board when we select in round one. I think we all understand and realize that changes in defensive personal in likely on its way but with a 100 million dollar quarterback on the roster and the looming contract extension of tight end Jimmy Graham staring us in the face, it seems logical that the front office will likely rely on the draft and not free agency to help solve our defensive woes.

With this thinking, here’s my top 5 in this scenario…

1. William Gholston DE Michigan State

While I have my concerns about Gholston’s ability to turn the edge in the NFL, he is simply the best available at a position of dire need for us. If Spagnuolo can get Gholston to realize his potential then we have a steal but until then potential is what Gholston will hang his hat on.

2. David Amerson CB North Carolina State

While Amerson has had his ups and downs this season at corner, he possesses the size, physicality and crazy ball skills to develop into a stud NFL free safety. I’m on record as of saying that I feel a playmaking free safety is almost as big a need for this defensive unit as a dynamic pass rusher is… I said ALMOST!

3. Justin Hunter WR Tennessee

I think we’d all be fooling ourselves if…

A:We refuse to accept that this offense while still elite, does not severely miss Meachem’s downfield presence. This above all else is affecting the productivity of our running game because teams simply do not respect our deep speed anymore.

B:That as long as Sean Payton is our head coach, he is likely to fix a problem on his offense before he will one on his defense. Remember when he took Meachem in the 1st when we desperately need a corner.

Hunter is a better version of what Meachem was coming out of Tennessee. He’s a big physical receiver who is without a doubt the top deep threat in this class.

4. Jonathan Jenkins NT Georgia

Yes Jenkins currently plays NT is a 34 defense at Georgia but that didn’t stop the Saints from drafting Cam Jordan out of Cal in 2010. Jenkins is a massive tackle but he’s also extremely disruptive on the interior of the defense. His athletic ability for such a big man is amazing and shows he would have no problems playing in a 43 base front.

5. Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State

Rhodes scheme wise is the perfect fit in Spags system. He’s a big physical corner with great press man coverage skills. New Orleans have found success in Florida State corner Pat Robinson and the selection of Rhodes would give the Saints a great young corner tandem and allow Corey White to move inside to free safety filling yet another need.

What say you?

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Porter22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take every help for our defense line or secondary, but pease no receiver! You can fid good receivers in the later rounds. Colston is still great, Moore is good to when healthy and Morgan can become a very good deep threat. Ohh and we still have Toon on injured reserve who looked good in preseason!
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is Xavier Rhodes a great fit for this scheme?

Quote:
He’s a big physical corner with great press man coverage skills.

We play a zone based scheme now...

Adopt-A-Saint:
Kenny Vaccaro 28 Tkls 2 PD 1 SCK
Ben Watson 9 Rec 64 Yds
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
How is Xavier Rhodes a great fit for this scheme?

Quote:
He’s a big physical corner with great press man coverage skills.

We play a zone based scheme now...

As of now we are in a zone base scheme due to personel but Spagnuolo routinely has coveted bigger physical press man coverage corners in the past. Why do you think Corey White keeps getting playing time over Johnny Patrick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: