Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Our run defense is bad. Why?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
According to PFF (not very reliable), Wilkerson was the 4th best 3-4 DE prior to this game.
What I was saying before though is that I know he's a great run defender...but was it really worth it to use a 1st round pick on a run defender when we already had Mike DeVito? Wilk is supposed to be decent in rushing the passer too, but I've rarely seen him get any push in that regard. He may be doing an average job there, and a bang up job in run defense, but the point remains...is that worth a first round pick? I don't think so. Not when we have DeVito.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=501525

According to this, PFF has David Harris, Calvin Pace, Garrett McIntyre and LaRon Landry in the bottom five of their respective positions. This is, of course, prior to tonights game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
green24 wrote:
According to PFF (not very reliable), Wilkerson was the 4th best 3-4 DE prior to this game.
What I was saying before though is that I know he's a great run defender...but was it really worth it to use a 1st round pick on a run defender when we already had Mike DeVito? Wilk is supposed to be decent in rushing the passer too, but I've rarely seen him get any push in that regard. He may be doing an average job there, and a bang up job in run defense, but the point remains...is that worth a first round pick? I don't think so. Not when we have DeVito.

According to this, PFF has David Harris, Calvin Pace, Garrett McIntyre and LaRon Landry in the bottom five of their respective positions. This is, of course, prior to tonights game.

Yeah. I was happy until I saw where they ranked Harris and Landry. No way should they be that low.
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Colt45fool wrote:
green24 wrote:

Yeah. I was happy until I saw where they ranked Harris and Landry. No way should they be that low.
Landry hasn't been very good. I don't think he's bottom five bad, but he's blown coverages often and been penalized a ton. He has single handedly ruined drives.

David Harris....well, I've been kind of over him for a while. For someone we pay a nice bit of change and hype up to be a top 10 ILB in the league, he certainly has a lot of deficiencies...how are you top 10 at your position when you can't defend the pass and you're too flippin' slow.

Now I know Harris has always had these issues and I'm not going to sit here and say I didn't think at one point or another he was one of the best at his position...but he's absolutely disappeared in some games this year. I can't say he's having a particularly good year at all. Not bottom five worthy, but not good either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
green24 wrote:
Colt45fool wrote:
green24 wrote:

Landry hasn't been very good. I don't think he's bottom five bad, but he's blown coverages often and been penalized a ton. He has single handedly ruined drives.

David Harris....well, I've been kind of over him for a while. For someone we pay a nice bit of change and hype up to be a top 10 ILB in the league, he certainly has a lot of deficiencies...how are you top 10 at your position when you can't defend the pass and you're too flippin' slow.

Now I know Harris has always had these issues and I'm not going to sit here and say I didn't think at one point or another he was one of the best at his position...but he's absolutely disappeared in some games this year. I can't say he's having a particularly good year at all. Not bottom five worthy, but not good either.

I think we are asking Harris to do things that are not what he's best at. If a player like Davis could develop to his full potential or Bart Scott finds a time machine, we can have Harris do what he is best at and not worry about dropping into coverage. Even though he is not very good in coverage, he is still far better than any of our other linebackers are.
kilahchris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Bart Scott and Calvin Pace play a huge factor with constant mis tackles and mis reads. Bart Scott is an overrated Linebacker who does not bring much to our defense.

I am hoping we have an overhaul of Pace, Scott and Thomas next year. Get some speed, pass rushings and youth in our linebacking core.
Harris Smith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
green24 wrote:

PFF has also been saying that Wilkerson now gets consistently double-teamed this year, unlike in his rookie season.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what Bent of thejetsblog.com said about Wilkerson in his analysis of the Texans game:

Quote:
Letís make something clear about Muhammad Wilkersonís impact in this game. He was constantly double-teamed, even on passing downs. Despite this he had a disruptive game, with one hit and three pressures as well as several plays where he got penetration to redirect a runner. He was only in on one run stuff and did get blocked to the ground on two of the bigger running plays, but held his ground the rest of the time. Considering he was facing mostly single-team blocks last year, thereís no doubting how far heís come. I would love to see what he could do alongside a healthy Poíuha this year, but Iím not sure if thatís ever going to happen.
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to keep an eye on Wilkerson better then...because I don't doubt he's a good player, I just doubt drafting him in the first round considering where our DL was at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we're ranked 31st against the run. That has to humble the heck out of Rex. He's on the fast track to the worst defense he's ever fielded in his career. They need to find a way to clean this up. Whatever they did last week in practice that was apparently going so well didn't work, although the Texans are great at running the ball.
ekill08x

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GangGreen420 wrote:
I believe we're ranked 31st against the run. That has to humble the heck out of Rex. He's on the fast track to the worst defense he's ever fielded in his career. They need to find a way to clean this up. Whatever they did last week in practice that was apparently going so well didn't work, although the Texans are great at running the ball.

A lot of it is his fault. He draft some of these guys and brought in a lot of the others. Dude is a horrible drafter.

Props to JMG on the sig as usual
GangGreen420

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ekill08x wrote:
GangGreen420 wrote:

A lot of it is his fault. He draft some of these guys and brought in a lot of the others. Dude is a horrible drafter.

100% agree on this. Wilkerson is looking to be a player, but other than that, all below average.
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scariest part about this year is that a lot of the guys on defense are Rex's guys...guys he drafted or had signed or whatever. Not a lot of Mangini holdovers starting on defense...that has to scare Jets fans as Rex was able to field a great defense with Mangini guys, and not so great once he brings his own guys in. He's clearly not much of a talent evaluator and neither is Tanny.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colt45fool wrote:
The scariest part about this year is that a lot of the guys on defense are Rex's guys...guys he drafted or had signed or whatever. Not a lot of Mangini holdovers starting on defense...that has to scare Jets fans as Rex was able to field a great defense with Mangini guys, and not so great once he brings his own guys in. He's clearly not much of a talent evaluator and neither is Tanny.

But most of the guys who are sucking are Mangini holdovers that are over the hill (Pace, Thomas). Bart Scott is Rex's guy though.
Jamison.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Colt45fool wrote:

But most of the guys who are sucking are Mangini holdovers that are over the hill (Pace, Thomas). Bart Scott is Rex's guy though.
Problem with Rex is, he's actually a soft guy. I wish we were like other organizations who got rid of players when needed(unless locker room guys).

Jamison.'s Gallery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: