Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Brian Cushing Torn ACL
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
J-ALL-DAY


Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Posts: 23707
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Brian Cushing Torn ACL Reply with quote

Quote:
tara sullivan ‏@Record_Tara
Tough break for Bergen Co. native Brian Cushing, who has torn ACL. "Awful. Love that guy," Sanchez said in locker room abt college buddy.


Wow, huge blow Texans fans, I feel for this loss.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jargin


Joined: 13 Dec 2006
Posts: 7038
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, now its official.

Man, thats just not a good thing.
_________________



[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mse326


Moderator
Joined: 19 Jan 2008
Posts: 15234
Location: mike23md on the sig
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I am officially no longer doing the adopt a texan.

Last year I took Schaub. This year Cush.

I apologize Sad Sad Sad


As for what we do. I would honestly kick Barwin inside and start Mercilus.
_________________

#JDI


Last edited by mse326 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texansfan713


Joined: 24 Dec 2009
Posts: 28123
Location: Houston
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

URGGG I hate injuries, but what can you do? Crying or Very sad
Next man up! If I'm not mistaken, Sharpton is eligible to come off the PUP after the Packers game. I doubt we sign anybody off the streets. Dobbins, it's now time for you opportunity.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CAS22


Joined: 06 Jul 2007
Posts: 14102
Location: SMU
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
And I am officially no longer doing the adopt a texan.

Last year I took Schaub. This year Cush.

I apologize Sad Sad Sad


As for what we do. I would honestly kick Barwin inside and start Mercilus.
Don't think he is good enough in coverage to play inside. Definitely is an intriguing idea though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
treece300e


Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 381
Location: Nampa, ID
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAS22 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
And I am officially no longer doing the adopt a texan.

Last year I took Schaub. This year Cush.

I apologize Sad Sad Sad


As for what we do. I would honestly kick Barwin inside and start Mercilus.
Don't think he is good enough in coverage to play inside. Definitely is an intriguing idea though.


While I don't know if it'll happen, it might be good for Barwin. While his numbers aren't a true reflection of the way he's played, at this point it looks like he won't command a large salary. If he can prove valuable as an ILB, it might increase his value to the Texans and as a way to mask his "lack of production" based strictly off stats. ILB may not be a sexy way to make money, but having no sacks and averaging less than 2 tackles per game is not giving him much leverage. Keep in mind, I'm basing this purely off number, I love Barwin and don't want to see him go anywhere.

Potentially losing Cushing for the rest of the season is extremely disheartening, especially knowing it came off a cheap shot. Is this the same knee with which he's had previous issues?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PAtexansFAN99


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 4360
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you wanna move Barwin OR start Mercilus as a result of this injury. Texans will stick to the plan, Sharpton will come back, and Mister Alexander may get a few more opportunities to play defense. I expect they'll put him on IR and sign a LB to play special teams player to fill in for Dobbins.

Everyone's gonna have to step up a lil bit to make up for this loss.
_________________

LORK88
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bunnyracin


Joined: 28 Jul 2011
Posts: 972
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Texans fear LB Brian Cushing tore his ACL, but they will not know for sure until his MRI today.


-Schefter trying to have my hope increase by 1%

PLEASE GOD
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buckwild


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 1756
Location: Ft Worth, Tx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
Quote:
Texans fear LB Brian Cushing tore his ACL, but they will not know for sure until his MRI today.


-Schefter trying to have my hope increase by 1%

PLEASE GOD


They are getting an MRI to see the severity of the tear because if is only a slight tear he may be able to come back in 8 weeks. So we will just have to wait and see how it plays out.
_________________


Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38048
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mse326 wrote:
As for what we do. I would honestly kick Barwin inside and start Mercilus.


I actually brought this up when I called Nick Wright and John Lopez this morning; They both agree that it's a world of difference between assignments and skillsets, etc...however, I look at it from a different angle. Sure, we can play Mister Alexander, Tim Dobbins and Daryl Sharpton in a rotation of sorts, but is that our best 11 players, or our best front seven? No. Not at all, given that you have a 1st round pick at OLB collecting dust on the sideline, and the guy who plays HIS role hasn't exactly lived up to his billing

Give me an inexperienced Barwin at ILB before you give me an experienced Alexander at ILB. The team has an abundance of riches at OLB, so now it's time to put forth your best, most athletic players on the field and see if it counters the loss of your best LB.
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
dsorc


Joined: 16 Jan 2008
Posts: 2170
Location: St. Louis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EliteTexan80 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
As for what we do. I would honestly kick Barwin inside and start Mercilus.


I actually brought this up when I called Nick Wright and John Lopez this morning; They both agree that it's a world of difference between assignments and skillsets, etc...however, I look at it from a different angle. Sure, we can play Mister Alexander, Tim Dobbins and Daryl Sharpton in a rotation of sorts, but is that our best 11 players, or our best front seven? No. Not at all, given that you have a 1st round pick at OLB collecting dust on the sideline, and the guy who plays HIS role hasn't exactly lived up to his billing

Give me an inexperienced Barwin at ILB before you give me an experienced Alexander at ILB. The team has an abundance of riches at OLB, so now it's time to put forth your best, most athletic players on the field and see if it counters the loss of your best LB.

This, plus Barwin was originally expected to be the SOLB opposite Williams so he has plenty of experience in coverage. We need to figure out a way to get our best players on the field and Mercilus provides better potential than Dobbins (run-stopper only) and Alexander (ST player). I'd even be in support of trying Braman at ILB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5462
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait Brian Cushing plays for the Texans? He is an important part of our team (defensive captain)? I wonder if anyone would want to see a replay of this? Amongst the most offensive parts of the coverage of this game was the complete lack of attention this injury got both in it's implications for the game at hand and the big picture of the AFC leader's pursuit of the Super Bowl. I can excuse the 3 different Clay Matthews commercials running ad nauseum because unlike Cushing he hasn't actually tested positive for steroids (due to the lack of an HGH test) and has a ring, but I swear they mentioned the impact of the Clyde Gates injury more often and waste of space Lisa Salters didn't even get to a non-update on Cushing until the middle of a snap. Of course, not one second of 2 hours of post game reporting even mentioned the injury, perhaps because 85% of their airtime was dedicated to Rex Ryan (who's team was poorly coached), Tim Tebow (who played 6 downs including 2 forced time outs), and other "what's wrong with the Jets" analysis.

I guess the fact there was a 5-0 team that unlike the Jets actually went to the playoffs last year on the other side wasn't as important as deconstructing a team that has never even won its division and has a 30-23 under the genius tandem of Ryan and Tannebaum who haven't gotten nearly enough blame for destroying their team due to overinflated ego and hitching their wagons to low character players like Santonio Holmes. For goodness sakes, since when do we give professional teams points for "hanging in there" when all of their current problems (aside from the Revis injury) are a result of decisions they made and reduced hype on players once touted as great by the talking heads with plenty of undeserved pro bowls to go with the hype (Ferguson, Mangold, Green, David Harris, Calvin Pace, Bart Scott, etc).

Side note - yes, JJ Watt is a beast, but so was Brooks Reed and Antonio, Barwin, Quin and others made major contributions. Ditto on the offensive side of the ball where OD (it's Daniels not Daniel and Walter not Walters ESPN morons) and Casey deserved mention over AJ in post game analysis along with some amazing blocking by Brown and Smith. At least Arian got some decent airtime (with an appropriate apology from Steve Young who called out ESPN for its East Coast bias), but I'm tiring of the "Arian's a weirdo" angle. Hopefully NBC does a better job next week, but I'm sure it will be just another love fest for a 2-3 team.

Finally - I do have to give Gruden props for excellent and balanced coverage. At least one member of their team does some homework.
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
EliteTexan80


Most Valuable Poster
Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 38048
Location: Three time Mr. fanTASTic!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsorc wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
mse326 wrote:
As for what we do. I would honestly kick Barwin inside and start Mercilus.


I actually brought this up when I called Nick Wright and John Lopez this morning; They both agree that it's a world of difference between assignments and skillsets, etc...however, I look at it from a different angle. Sure, we can play Mister Alexander, Tim Dobbins and Daryl Sharpton in a rotation of sorts, but is that our best 11 players, or our best front seven? No. Not at all, given that you have a 1st round pick at OLB collecting dust on the sideline, and the guy who plays HIS role hasn't exactly lived up to his billing

Give me an inexperienced Barwin at ILB before you give me an experienced Alexander at ILB. The team has an abundance of riches at OLB, so now it's time to put forth your best, most athletic players on the field and see if it counters the loss of your best LB.

This, plus Barwin was originally expected to be the SOLB opposite Williams so he has plenty of experience in coverage. We need to figure out a way to get our best players on the field and Mercilus provides better potential than Dobbins (run-stopper only) and Alexander (ST player). I'd even be in support of trying Braman at ILB.


THIS is the main reason I go for Barwin in the role. This time last year, he was in a similar role before being moved to WOLB due to the Mario Williams injury (in fact, I almost wanna say it was exactly this time last year). There have been some coaching notes to Barwin in regards to playing as a "garbage man" and it isn't as if Barwin isn't someone who can't pick up those cues. This would be the, what...4th time Barwin has been asked to make a move, dating back to college? From TE, to DE, to SOLB, to WOLB...guy has picked up each role quickly, and with good outcomes.

As far as responsibilities and roles and such - I put some thought behind this as well. Now, it isn't as if they have an ILB coach and an OLB coach, or a meeting for ILBs and OLBs. For the most part, the Monday-Saturday work, both ILBs and OLBs are attending the same meetings, going over the same filmwork, working with the same coaches...so should it be THAT much of a switch? I don't know, maybe I am oversimplyfing it.

I just want to see this team answer the bell in the face of the biggest loss since the Matt Schaub injury. Any and all ideas are welcome. Very Happy
_________________

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
ugLymayNe


Joined: 31 Oct 2006
Posts: 12176
Location: Wisconsin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have DJ Smith from the Packers. Laughing
_________________
@PJHotel_

Sig brought to you by Justo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Apollo Stallion


Joined: 06 Feb 2008
Posts: 5462
Location: Battle Red State
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of the week 6 solution, Rick needs to get on the horn with agents for Free Agents including EJ Henderson (MLB - Vikings), Gary Brackett (MLB - Colts), and Xavier Adibi (Chicago). Frankly, I see the greater need as for a 4-3 MLB with James adequate as 3-4 ILB. I'm not counting on anything from Sharpton until I hear he's passed every test and I view any contributions from him in 2012 as gravy. I'm also not sure a tough safety like Deon Grant (Giants) or Melvin Bullitt (Colts) wouldn't be our best move as I see the 3rd safety as a starter at this point and was unimpressed with Nolan who looks slower than ever. I also can see us bringing Shawn Loiseau back as he's pretty much Brian Cushing-light and probably a better special teams contributor than any of the vets I mentioned (necessary if Dobbins plays LB as much as last night).

As for in-house playing-time solutions, Brooks Reed has always been the one that struck me as more capable of being a Cushing replacement inside in this scenario. He's the same size as Cushing and has much more in common in the reckless sideline to sideline high motor way of playing. Coverage isn't the primary issue as our safeties have primary coverage on #1 TE's, it's run defense and Barwin just isn't a strong run defender. Remember, we essentially run a 5-2 most downs anyway with Cushing + Reed or Barwin staying home so I think you move Reed over to the primary MLB and let Mercilus and Barwin operate on the edges where they are most effective. I'd propose also incorporating more reps for Crick on running downs and Jamison on passing downs vs. anything more for James.

Against the Packers we should be okay as we'll be in nickel so much anyway with extra safety or corner (or both) and they so rarely throw to RBs there and Finley may even still be out. If ever there were a game to activate Harris, this is it as GB is not beating us on the ground and he should take Cushing's spot. I'm also ready to see if Carmichael has anything to offer on special teams as Posey is laughable out there.

Phillips' advance scouts do need to be working on a solution for Ray Rice right now as we were going to have trouble with him in the passing game even with Cushing and without him we practically need to play with a 3rd safety as a base, especially with Pitta and Dickson requiring attention from Quin and Manning. I hate to say it, but we might want to have Shiloh Keo out there acting like a LB and shadowing Rice. They haven't used him as much as usually in the passing game, but they also haven't played against a pass rush like ours aside from Philly which will draw plenty of dumpoffs (Pitta & Rice caught 14 in that game Smith/Boldin/Jones caught 5 combined).
_________________


12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group