Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3rd and 1
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickZambo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
i hate how if the play is poorly executed it than means it was a bad play call...

If Weeden makes a better throw its a first down.

We gotta stop blaming the coach for easy mistakes the players make. Weeden has looked pretty good all year throwing slants and he throws a bad one yesterday and it costed us.

whats frustrating is ppl overracting

Yeah I get what you are saying but in the context of the game, the pick was thrown inside the last 4 mins of the 2nd quarter. I would have much rather run the ball and keep the clock moving and taken the points.

I mean sure we didn't see the Giants putting up 14 points inside of 3:51 in the 2nd quarter. But still, run the ball, force NY to either use their TOs or best case CLE gets the first and keeps it moving.

True, if Weeden completes that pass its 6+ yards & a 1st down, or even if he throws the ball away we still put Phil The Drill out there. I just would have rather watched us run the ball, pitch it outside, misdirection, be creative with #33 in those contexts of the game. I don't think running the ball while in field goal range inside 4 minutes of halftime on a 3rd & 1 with a 7 point lead would EVER be scrutinized, throwing a pick opened up that can of worms.

Growing pains, I get it...

Skipping over bruceb's posts since 2012
fatpig

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the pass on 3rd and 1 more than anything sends a bad message to T-Rich. that being "even though you've been running your [inappropriate/removed] off for us all game, you failed on 3rd and 1 once and now we don't trust you to convert here"

i'll give some rare props to Shurmur for going for it on 4th down though. that was refreshing to see.
LETSGOBROWNIES

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh.

This is the kind of thing that gets overblown when teams are losing.

If we where winning games and converting folks would say it was a brilliant play call.

Was it a great call? No. Was it a gawdawful call that cost us the game? Not at all.

First Ballot Cleveland Browns Forum Hall of Fame Inductee.
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatpig wrote:
i think the pass on 3rd and 1 more than anything sends a bad message to T-Rich. that being "even though you've been running your [inappropriate/removed] off for us all game, you failed on 3rd and 1 once and now we don't trust you to convert here"

i'll give some rare props to Shurmur for going for it on 4th down though. that was refreshing to see.

even better...he has been running his butt off so Pat Shurmur wanted to keep the defense guessing. Its 3rd and 1 and TRich is running great...it be a great time to run play action. IMO the best downs to run the ball is 1st down and 3rd and short but I also believe those are also great downs to go playaction and catch the offense off guard. How did we hit Gordan for a long bomb like that? It was first down, we threw a small playaction to stop the LB for a second. With that lil pause by the LB Gordan was able to run right back the OLB and get wide open for a touchdown. If the play was there and its completed it looks like a good play, if it there and it gets sniffed out it, it looks like a bad play. the giants were just a well coached defense and didnt bite on the play action.

the only thing I hated about the play is Weeden forcing a pass. He should of tried and run for the first down or threw it away. when it comes to plays, the players need to execution.

Shurmurs play itself did not cause the ball to be picked off, it was Weeden forcing a bad pass.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Trent but he really hasn't been getting it down in short yardage for us, too indecisive in the backfield.
big poppa pump

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem isn't so much that there was a pass called, however, not having your best offensive player on 3rd and short isn't really smart.

With Oby in there, and being in the shotgun, there isn't even a threat to run.
Why telegraph the play. How about a play action pass with Richardson in the game?

I agree that it was a momentum shifter. It may not be what ultimately sank the Browns, but it certainly didn't help. The execution of plays is as important as the plays being called, but I have to put this one on Pat. If you run it and get stuffed, there is still a chance to go if its 4th and really short. If you take a loss, then you go for three.

Again, it probably doesn't change the final outcome, but who knows.

BIG UPS TO REG....DA MAN
NickZambo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big poppa pump wrote:
My problem isn't so much that there was a pass called, however, not having your best offensive player on 3rd and short isn't really smart.

Why telegraph the play.

Agreed 100%. Okay so you pass it instead of running it, yet everyone knows its a pass play on 3rd when Richardson isnt in the game. Have they ever run the ball on 3rd down when Ogby is in the game? I would be they have thrown on 3rd down 80%+ when Trent is on the sideline.

Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickZambo wrote:
big poppa pump wrote:

Why telegraph the play.

Agreed 100%. Okay so you pass it instead of running it, yet everyone knows its a pass play on 3rd when Richardson isnt in the game. Have they ever run the ball on 3rd down when Ogby is in the game? I would be they have thrown on 3rd down 80%+ when Trent is on the sideline.

I have said this multiple times now as well (even before this game). It is idiotic to take Richardson off the field in 3rd and 1 scenarios such as this.

One of the reasons he was drafted so high was because he was supposed to be an every down running back.

Take him off the field and everyone knows it is a pass. Leave him on the field and could be pass, run, or pass to Richardson and let him run up the perimeter!!!

stupid personell package/play calling there.
Drew_Carey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is another thing that pissed me about this team...

Why on earth did they keep Chris Ogbonnaya, Montario Hardesty, and Brandon Jackson and cut Adonis Thomas?

Talk about limiting your personell and ability of your offense.

Thomas would be a great 3rd down back that could give Richardson a break, especially on 3rd and passing situations, where as one of the other backs Og/Hard/Jack could spell him on more running situations.

dumb dumb dumb
buno67

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:
This is another thing that pissed me about this team...

Why on earth did they keep Chris Ogbonnaya, Montario Hardesty, and Brandon Jackson and cut Adonis Thomas?

Talk about limiting your personell and ability of your offense.

Thomas would be a great 3rd down back that could give Richardson a break, especially on 3rd and passing situations, where as one of the other backs Og/Hard/Jack could spell him on more running situations.

dumb dumb dumb

Oby has been a great 3rd down back IMO. I dont know why we have kept Jackson and MoHard for so long. Just cut them!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet we would have ran on 4th down if not for the INT

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
Any play can be a good play if it's executed well, but I definitely disagreed with the call.

Let me revise that a bit. My biggest problem was that Richardson was out of the game. Once the Giants saw Ogby on the field, they knew we were going to pass it. They nudged up to defend the short pass that was coming.

Yes, Weeden airmailed it, and we probably wouldn't be talking about the play if the throw was better, but you can't completely telegraph what you're going to do. Not in the NFL, anyway.

This. If it makes sense to give him the ball, you give it to him. He is our best play-maker. If you don't think it does, you at least have him on the field and the NYG having to wonder what we are going to do.
NickZambo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew_Carey wrote:

B/C they know Beanie 'Bust' Wells cant hack it in Arizona and Ryan Williams would need another season ending surgery...

We have an abundance of RBs, can you say trade talks with Arizona?? I would just like to think of Heckert as insightful... Laughing Laughing

No seriously though, we need to trade away one of our RBs to Arizona for a 3rd/4th rounder, b/c realistically I think we should just cut Hardesty or Jackson since we clearly don't use them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: