Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 4th pick, MINN Selects - Matt Kalil [LT] USC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Kalil got the first Vikings blocked kick in three years when he got a hand on Josh Scobee’s extra point when the Vikings trailed 9-0 late in the first half. Kalil’s timing of getting a forward push on the line, setting himself and jumping straight up to get a hand up to attempt to block a kick was uncanny Sunday. Not only did Kalil get the block on the second quarter extra point, he came within inches of blocking two field goals in Sunday’s game.

Kalil: “When I came to the Vikings, that was one of the first things that I told them – that I wanted to be on the field goal and extra point teams. I had seven blocks at USC and it’s something I think I do pretty well. I had to kind of talk them into letting me do it. They didn’t want me to at first. I get it. They weren’t sure it was worth the risk to have me on special teams, but I was able to convince them that I could do a good job for us and help the team.”

“It’s all about timing. You know you have about two seconds from the snap to get a push, try to get penetration over the line and jump. There isn’t a lot of time to prepare. It’s just about trying to get into a position where you can get a finger or a hand on the ball as it comes by.”

http://min.scout.com/2/1220531.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
“When I came to the Vikings, that was one of the first things that I told them – that I wanted to be on the field goal and extra point teams. I had seven blocks at USC and it’s something I think I do pretty well. I had to kind of talk them into letting me do it. They didn’t want me to at first. I get it. They weren’t sure it was worth the risk to have me on special teams, but I was able to convince them that I could do a good job for us and help the team.”

How often do you hear a top 4 pick talk like that?!
wcblack34

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
vike daddy wrote:
“When I came to the Vikings, that was one of the first things that I told them – that I wanted to be on the field goal and extra point teams. I had seven blocks at USC and it’s something I think I do pretty well. I had to kind of talk them into letting me do it. They didn’t want me to at first. I get it. They weren’t sure it was worth the risk to have me on special teams, but I was able to convince them that I could do a good job for us and help the team.”

How often do you hear a top 4 pick talk like that?!

I can tell you this much, I doubt Justin Blackmon would volunteer for the field goal team.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kalil pick is looking better every day. Pass pro is day/night vs. last year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
The Kalil pick is looking better every day. Pass pro is day/night vs. last year.

Agreed.

For comparison sake:

Justin Blackmon has 4 catches for 31 yards and 0 tds. (Cecil Shorts is clearly the top Jags WR at the moment).

Morris Claiborne has 3 starts, 7 tackles, 1 deflection and 0 ints. (Josh Robinson has 0 starts, 10 tackles, 1 deflection and 1 int).

I think its clear, the benefit in pass protection which has afforded Ponder more time, clearly has helped the offense to date. I cant imagine how dreadful the Line would be with Charlie Johnson at LT and Geoff Schwartz starting at LG. Yikes.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kalil pick has been positive thus far.
But lets not use stats to compare different positions.

For example, Dallas CB and secondary has looked much better then it did last season. Thus far, our pass protection has looked much better then last season as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Kellerman wrote:

Agreed.

For comparison sake:

Justin Blackmon has 4 catches for 31 yards and 0 tds. (Cecil Shorts is clearly the top Jags WR at the moment).

Morris Claiborne has 3 starts, 7 tackles, 1 deflection and 0 ints. (Josh Robinson has 0 starts, 10 tackles, 1 deflection and 1 int).

I think its clear, the benefit in pass protection which has afforded Ponder more time, clearly has helped the offense to date. I cant imagine how dreadful the Line would be with Charlie Johnson at LT and Geoff Schwartz starting at LG. Yikes.

I don't necessarily wanna knock the other picks, I'm sure both Blackmon and Claiborne will turn into fine players (well Claiborne at least), but neither of those players would have meant as much to this team. The way Kalil has not only impacted the game himself, by limiting the edge rush, but also by allowing Johnson to slide inside, upgrading a position where our former starting was mostly living on name recognition vs. actual play.

We didn't give up a single sack against the 49ers. I'm absolutely positive that with last year's O-line, we would be having these sustained drives, extended plays, and we wouldn't have won this game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:
Kalil pick has been positive thus far.
But lets not use stats to compare different positions.

For example, Dallas CB and secondary has looked much better then it did last season. Thus far, our pass protection has looked much better then last season as well.

Agreed, I am not knocking Claiborne in anyway and I actually didnt mind if MN took him. However, I think the overall difference between Matt Kalil vs Charlie Johnson is substantially larger than the difference between Josh Robinson vs. Claiborne for this defense. Claiborne looks the part of a high end CB, and he has played well. I am just not sure if him playing in a more zone emphasized scheme would necessarily allow him to have the same impact as Kalil has had to date. I think if Robinson can refine his technique, there is really no limit to his potential.

As for Justin Blackmon, even if he is a rookie, you cant help but be disappointed in him if your Jax. from the arrest to his overall lack of production. He was the 5th overall pick and there should be a greater expectation for immediate term success considering how productive Green/Jones were last year. The question is, what kind of impact would Blackmon have if he was a Viking? Would it have succeeded Kalil's impact so far? Would Blackmon be that downfield threat that MN needs even though he has been unable to be that player to date in Jax?

Kalil was the correct pick and he has done a great job so far.
JMac79

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
As for Justin Blackmon, even if he is a rookie, you cant help but be disappointed in him if your Jax. from the arrest to his overall lack of production. He was the 5th overall pick and there should be a greater expectation for immediate term success considering how productive Green/Jones were last year. The question is, what kind of impact would Blackmon have if he was a Viking? Would it have succeeded Kalil's impact so far? Would Blackmon be that downfield threat that MN needs even though he has been unable to be that player to date in Jax?

Kalil was the correct pick and he has done a great job so far.

It's only been 3 games (and Gabbert hasn't been setting things on fire by any means), so maybe Blackmon will rebound from his currently-unimpressive start to his young NFL career... but I think your point really highlights why he was one of the first names I crossed off my list as a potential selection at #3. He had the hands, the route-running skills, and the right mentality as a WR... but the physical attributes just aren't there as a top 5 selection. I don't think it's really much of a surprise that A.J. Green and Julio Jones started producing earlier than Blackmon has, because those guys do have the physical skillsets of highly-drafted WRs - they could get away with perhaps not being the smoothest or most knowledgeable route runners, because they had the size/speed combo to make up for it - whereas Blackmon simply doesn't. He could still develop into a really good WR, but that's a caveat you'd apply to a player selected in the 15-30 range (or later), not a Top 5 selection.

I've been a "Kalil-supporter" since we started ramping up for the draft last winter, and he hasn't given me much pause to really re-evaluate that stance so far. Very Happy

DJC71 wrote:
That's like asking if I'd still buy my ex-wife flowers on our anniversary after she left me for another dude. Heck no. I hope she gets bedbugs.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blog.vikings.com/2012/10/08/little-acclaim-big-results-3-vikings-flying-under-the-radar/

Quote:
LT Matt Kalil
In much the same way it’s hard to measure the effectiveness of a FB such as Felton or a “blocking” TE such as Ellison, it can be tricky gauging the performance of an offensive lineman because there’s no box score metric that directly applies to the position. But you don’t need a box score metric or even a bunch of film study to realize how dominant Kalil has been through 5 games. He’s gone against several formidable DEs and he’s held his water without problem. Also, according to one statistical study, the Vikings have run to the left (Kalil’s side) with success – 44 carries for 199 yards (4.5 yards per carry).

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers announced that Pro-Bowl Center Ryan Kalil has a Lisfranc fracture and was placed on injured reserve, ending his season.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/256112068753772545

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be best to just avoid attempting Matt Kalil-Morris Claiborne side-by-sides. Mostly because trying to compare those picks could lead to crowning one over the other when, in truth, both players are excelling at their respective positions for their respective teams. I was on the Claiborne wagon leading up to the draft, but I am content with what I've seen from Kalil so far. Similarly, Claiborne is a major piece of a ferocious Dallas secondary that ranks 1st in the league. They are both high quality additions.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
I think it would be best to just avoid attempting Matt Kalil-Morris Claiborne side-by-sides. Mostly because trying to compare those picks could lead to crowning one over the other when, in truth, both players are excelling at their respective positions for their respective teams. I was on the Claiborne wagon leading up to the draft, but I am content with what I've seen from Kalil so far. Similarly, Claiborne is a major piece of a ferocious Dallas secondary that ranks 1st in the league. They are both high quality additions.

The reality is, its Kalil and Josh Robinson vs Morris Claiborne and Charlie Johnson. There simply wasnt a decent LT who could come in and start right away after round 2.

That is why most Vikes fan preferred Kalil, largely due to the lack of talent and depth at LT in this year's draft. There were plenty of CBs. You have to draft according to the strength of the draft, I am a firm believer of that as it leads to better value and when you consistently draft for value, your going to build a good team.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

The reality is, its Kalil and Josh Robinson vs Morris Claiborne and Charlie Johnson. There simply wasnt a decent LT who could come in and start right away after round 2.

That is why most Vikes fan preferred Kalil, largely due to the lack of talent and depth at LT in this year's draft. There were plenty of CBs. You have to draft according to the strength of the draft, I am a firm believer of that as it leads to better value and when you consistently draft for value, your going to build a good team.

I am OK with that line of reasoning. That said, I think my point still stands. Both are going to be vital pieces for their respective teams going forward. I'm not interested in comparing them; I'd rather we just appreciate what both are bringing to the table.

Peppers90 on the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claiborne is doing great in Dallas, and I wouldnt have been upset if he was on the Vikes. Dallas certainly gave up a lot to get him. I do prefer how things played out in the end.

Both Kalil and Claiborne were phenomenal prospects but Kalil directly filled two starting positions (LT and moving Johnson to LG).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: