Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Do great defense's have / need an identity?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikek163

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Do great defense's have / need an identity? Reply with quote

Baltimore = Nasty

Pittsburgh = Nasty + confusing

Bears = Hard hitting / bend but don't break

Houston = Complex + physical

San Fran = All of the above

See what I am getting at? Do good - great defenses nowadays need to have that identity that makes teams scared about playing them? Almost a psychological edge going into the game?

What is our identity? Do we have one? Should we have one?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are the most "Dreaded" defense.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of
Rearviewmirror

Location: ^^Tamba waiting on his next feast in the Avy Ryk on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
We are the most "Dreaded" defense.

we only have Jackson, Poe, and Lewis anymore. Tamba cut his hair.

les paul wrote:
There's only one thing that determines a teams performance on any given sunday
Their opponent-
bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a nasty case of the mondays, and seem confused a lot of the time.

When they try their hardest, and perform at their best, we are a demoralizing defense. It's mostly predictable, you know what's coming, but we execute perfectly and you can't do much of anything to change that (i.e. GB game last year).

^ryknowssd on the sig
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bears = Hard hitting / bend but don't break

BBDB works best when you do one thing, and the Bear Down Bears have done it better than any other under Lovie Smith...

You get the ball for your offense by winning the turnover battle.

You know the only thing I like more about Cutler than Cassel, at least when he turns the ball over it's because he trusted his ability more than he should have, or he made a bad play.

Cassel turns the ball over a lot...making the "safe" plays.

Our defense currently is not BBDB...

It's Broke...

Our identity until proven otherwise CONSISTENTLY to me is

WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN
Ring of Fame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course every good defense has an identity. Every respected defense in the NFL hangs it's hat on something. Your identity is what you do - regardless of opponent, injuries, weather, etc. - week in and week out without exception.

The Baltimore Ravens identity = tough. That's it. If you're playing Baltimore, you can 100% of the time expect a physical, tough defense. Are there ways to beat physical, tough defenses? Sure, Baltimore loses games every year. But when you see Baltimore penciled in on the upcoming schedule, everyone in the locker room understands what that Defense is about.

The undeniable common denominator between all nasty, physical, respected defenses is strength and control in the trenches. It's the single most important thing every defense must - then you build out.

Right now, I ask, do the Chief shave strength and control in the trenches?

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ring of Fame wrote:
Of course every good defense has an identity. Every respected defense in the NFL hangs it's hat on something. Your identity is what you do - regardless of opponent, injuries, weather, etc. - week in and week out without exception.

The Baltimore Ravens identity = tough. That's it. If you're playing Baltimore, you can 100% of the time expect a physical, tough defense. Are there ways to beat physical, tough defenses? Sure, Baltimore loses games every year. But when you see Baltimore penciled in on the upcoming schedule, everyone in the locker room understands what that Defense is about.

The undeniable common denominator between all nasty, physical, respected defenses is strength and control in the trenches. It's the single most important thing every defense must - then you build out.

I think for the most part we do - in run defense, just nobody as vocal as a Ray Lewis. As far as any semblence of pass rush from our line - not really. Teams know who to fear on our defense as pass rushers and they know who doesn't really pose much of a threat.

IMO, we will always be a "sum of the parts" type of defense. Justin Houston could really emerge as one of the better all around 3-4 OLBs in the NFL and could potentially end up being our best defensive player - that wouldn't surprise me. He has elite talent and I was talking about him as our possible 1st round pick when he came out. That failed combine drug test was our lucky break.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
Ring of Fame

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicfre2011 wrote:
Ring of Fame wrote:

I think for the most part we do - in run defense, just nobody as vocal as a Ray Lewis. As far as any semblence of pass rush from our line - not really. Teams know who to fear on our defense as pass rushers and they know who doesn't really pose much of a threat.

IMO, we will always be a "sum of the parts" type of defense. Justin Houston could really emerge as one of the better all around 3-4 OLBs in the NFL and could potentially end up being our best defensive player - that wouldn't surprise me. He has elite talent and I was talking about him as our possible 1st round pick when he came out. That failed combine drug test was our lucky break.

We will always be a "sum of the parts" type of defense... until we change that.

Everything begins and ends with the type of players you draft. When you ruin a No. 3 Overall pick on a guy like Tyson Jackson, his personality becomes a part of your defense. He's not a nasty player. He's not a bully, he isn't scrappy. As a result, neither is our defensive front.

Whereas the Ravens draft Michael Oher in the first round that year -2009 - and take Paul Kruger (a better player than T. Jackson) at pick No. 57. As a result, they are a dominant interior team and are prepared to continue to be that.

If you don't DRAFT nasty, physical, intimidating players, you won't HAVE a nasty, physical, intimidating defense...

In Pioli's defense, he has nailed a couple mid-round picks in K. Lewis, J. Houston, A. Bailey, etc., but he's missing on what should be picks with the least risk. In the first round, you can't take a swing at a guy like Tyson Jackson - a largely unproven guy who didn't blow anyone away at the time. You MUST minimize risk in the first round and take a sure-thing like Orakpo.

Until that changes, our defense won't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: