Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Stewart Williams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smitty89

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Stewart Williams Reply with quote

Why the hell did we pay them both over 8 mill a season for them to get 10 carries combined a game. I say we cut or trade one, we could add a stud CB or DT if we let one go. Makes no damn sense
Panthers11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gimmick crap has hurt them. Stewart had 4 carries. It's unbelievable. Williams should be gone this offseason.

The HORNETS are back. Yes We Cam. Giancarlo <3.
Moody

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeAngelo's 5.0 YPC average is probably the most misleading stat in football. He is possibly the most one dimensional starting running back out there right now.

Stop this option nonsense. There is no rhythm at all with it.
shaX 07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sort of like banging a Fat chick while you're drunk...

It seemed like a good idea at the time, but now that the hangover has kicked in, we realize, that was just plain stupid.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panthers11 wrote:
The gimmick crap has hurt them. Stewart had 4 carries. It's unbelievable. Williams should be gone this offseason.

The bolded. Two top running backs were fine until we started this college offense, they arent built for this offense. Cut the crap.
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to 12-4 with Williams and Stewart. They are not the problem though I agree that Stewart was the one that really mattered. However the issue is that we run the read option too much.

People forget that this offensive line was once designed to run the damn football. We running way too much shotgun. Chud has tailored this offense to Cam way too much, as opposed to Cam tailoring himself to the NFL.

We need to get Cam under center and start throwing defenses off balance. The backs aren't the problem although I believe Williams deserves to be benched as the starter as this point.
boondock

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until we start running legit, pro-style, big boy run plays; things are not going to change in the running game. The trickery is not tricking anyone this year. Not because we don't have the players to run it, because teams know how to defend it. It's like the wildcat, it caught the league on fire last year; this year it's everyone knows how to shut it down.

If Stewart and Willliams get less than 30 touches a game, Chud is failing as a playcaller. Through the money argument out the door, throw the talent out the door; this is how you setup a successful pass attack is by having a solid ground game that opens up the passing game. There's also ways to get these guys the ball without handing it off to them; screens, slants, passes in the flats.

When your QB is your leading rusher, on the team, there's a problem. Everyone and their mother is expecting the designed run from Cam, teams are shutting it down for the most part.

Let Cam hand it off to double trouble to setup the play action. Let Cam use his expensive backfield to carry the run game. Only let Cam run when he gets in trouble and needs to bail on a play. We are not fooling anyone anymore. Chud should know this.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
Until we start running legit, pro-style, big boy run plays; things are not going to change in the running game. The trickery is not tricking anyone this year. Not because we don't have the players to run it, because teams know how to defend it. It's like the wildcat, it caught the league on fire last year; this year it's everyone knows how to shut it down.

If Stewart and Willliams get less than 30 touches a game, Chud is failing as a playcaller. Through the money argument out the door, throw the talent out the door; this is how you setup a successful pass attack is by having a solid ground game that opens up the passing game. There's also ways to get these guys the ball without handing it off to them; screens, slants, passes in the flats.

When your QB is your leading rusher, on the team, there's a problem. Everyone and their mother is expecting the designed run from Cam, teams are shutting it down for the most part.

Let Cam hand it off to double trouble to setup the play action. Let Cam use his expensive backfield to carry the run game. Only let Cam run when he gets in trouble and needs to bail on a play. We are not fooling anyone anymore. Chud should know this.
Chud seems like a kid playing NCAA '13 who's more concerned with getting his QB the Heisman than anything else.

First Down: "Here's a play where my awesome fast QB can run it!"
Second Down: "Meh, token hand off to RB where maybe my QB could run it, too."
Third Down: "9-route!!!!!"

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
schulman116

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:

Couldn't be said more accurately. The talent in the backfield is there. They aren't being utilized correctly. We should have a balanced offense. Even more so a Foxy conservative smash mouth, that opens up play action for Cam. What the hell is all this gimmic plays....who we tryin to be Oregon? I say go back to square 1...pound the ball....occasionally take some deep shots down the field to smitty. Thats how we had success last year.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The option runs sideways, which doesn't get you far, literally.

Let them hit the damn hole like an NFL runningback. They aren't Lemichael James.

Last year's option worked better because we had two decent tightends. Tolbert doesn't work as a replacement for Shockey at all. They've gone from running two tight ends which was extremely flexible to running shotgun with three wide all the time.

The worst part of this, is that this offense isn't lacking talent that makes it unable to just line up and beat teams.

Linning up in I-Form and pounding teams while mixing in play action to Smith, LaFell and Olsen sounds like a dream right now.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what the issue is. Hurney and Chud want 2 different things.

Hurney has built this team to be a smash mouth running attack. We've brought in Williams, Stewart, and Tolbert for this reason. Our offensive line screams run first with Gross, Silatolu, Kalil, Hangartner, and Bell. All lineman who are much better run blockers than they are pass protectors. Yet Chud would prefer to get speed on you and have an aerial attack. So when your general manager is bringing in talent that contradicts the kind of style the actual coaches want, there will be issues.

I think Chud is an excellent offensive coordinator. He has his faults ala never going under center unless its a toss play or some cheap playaction. But I think the main issue is what he wants cannot mesh with the talent he's been given. Our OL should be asked to run block, not pass block, for most of the game. Stewart should be utilized more between the guard/center, guard/tackle, not outside the tackle. Same with Williams. He is a shifty back who uses his vision, like Foster, to make plays. I think the zone read is effective but when you use it for 95% of our run plays, it'll be an issue. He is just becoming wildly predictable.
boondock

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
I think I know what the issue is. Hurney and Chud want 2 different things.

Hurney has built this team to be a smash mouth running attack. We've brought in Williams, Stewart, and Tolbert for this reason. Our offensive line screams run first with Gross, Silatolu, Kalil, Hangartner, and Bell. All lineman who are much better run blockers than they are pass protectors. Yet Chud would prefer to get speed on you and have an aerial attack. So when your general manager is bringing in talent that contradicts the kind of style the actual coaches want, there will be issues.

I think Chud is an excellent offensive coordinator. He has his faults ala never going under center unless its a toss play or some cheap playaction. But I think the main issue is what he wants cannot mesh with the talent he's been given. Our OL should be asked to run block, not pass block, for most of the game. Stewart should be utilized more between the guard/center, guard/tackle, not outside the tackle. Same with Williams. He is a shifty back who uses his vision, like Foster, to make plays. I think the zone read is effective but when you use it for 95% of our run plays, it'll be an issue. He is just becoming wildly predictable.

Think is a great point. Our offense is built for something our offensive coordinator is not doing. If Chud, and Rivera for that matter, does not realize this, he's doomed for as a head coach. Not realizing your talents and utilizing them appropriately is coaching 101 failure.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Williams is considered a one-cut back. He is at his best when he uses his vision to read the hole and then darts through it. If you have not noticed, he had his biggest plays when he was able to read the hole and shoot through it, leaving the defensive front to wonder, "Hey, where did h... awww, maaaannn!" The Read Option is not designed for this. The read is already made by the QB (hopefully it's the right one... lately it has not been mostly). A bruising back with big play potential like Stewart is built better for this offense. It pains me to say it - I would rather have Williams in a conventional offense - but they probably do need to trade him (it hurt to say that Mad). If they used Stewart and Tolbert consistently (they're made for this offense, now that I think about it... bruising and great at catching out of the backfield), it would take a significant load off of Cam (giving him time to develop like a normal QB - meaning not at the ridiculously accelerated rate everyone has expected).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: