Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Safety Position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Safety Position Reply with quote

What do you think the Steelers will do THIS season? Obviously next year, it'll be different, but what would you do and what do you think they'll do, assuming Polamalu is hurt for most of the year.

1. Keep Mundy as starter til end of season
2. Replace Mundy with Golden / Will Allen now or towards end of season
3. Try a 4 CB / 1 S look.
4. Sign a FA that could push to be the starter
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only one thats realistic is 1....as much as most might hate that.

2....Will Allen isnt any better and Golden at safety is too early right now considering its yet to be seen if he can contribute on any level.

3....not gonna happen. Not much else to say beyond that.

4...not gonna happen....mainly because there is no one that I see.

Mundy is likely to remain starter for awhile....they should look at FA but whoever we get likely wont be better than Mundy. More likely than anything, they would activate Damon Cromartie Smith.

Wouldnt mind them giving Keenan Lewis a look at safety, but thats not going to happen either.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

2....Will Allen isnt any better and Golden at safety is too early right now considering its yet to be seen if he can contribute on any level.

Mundy is likely to remain starter for awhile....they should look at FA but whoever we get likely wont be better than Mundy. More likely than anything, they would activate Damon Cromartie Smith.

Wouldnt mind them giving Keenan Lewis a look at safety, but thats not going to happen either.

Kinda what I meant for #3 with 4 CB's or possibly 3 and a safety. Bringing a CB to play the safety position. You think Lewis moreso than Curtis Brown?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Kinda what I meant for #3 with 4 CB's or possibly 3 and a safety. Bringing a CB to play the safety position. You think Lewis moreso than Curtis Brown?

Curtis Brown at safety? LMAO...dude may be one of the most unphysical players on the team. I liked Brown as a pure cover guy...i still think he has potential as a CB....I would never want to see him at safety.

Lewis isnt overly physical either, but he is a more willing tackler, at least.

SteelerPR

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the way Lewis looked so hesitant on that fourth down play, no thanks for Safety play.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Curtis Brown at safety? LMAO...dude may be one of the most unphysical players on the team. I liked Brown as a pure cover guy...i still think he has potential as a CB....I would never want to see him at safety.

Laughing Laughing Brain jumble. Meant Curtis Brown to take over for Cortez Allen at nickel and Cortez kicked to safety. He seems most physical, at least try something.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Laughing Laughing Brain jumble. Meant Curtis Brown to take over for Cortez Allen at nickel and Cortez kicked to safety. He seems most physical, at least try something.

On that not I have always suggested C.Allen as a potential safety, he plays like it more than any of the other corners. Also potentially drafting a corner early that either can play corner or safety.

...you have a forum resume?
treat88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another question without a decent answer.

Ryan Mundy is every bit as bad for this D as Willie Colon is for the O.

I do not expect our back-ups to be All-Pros or even replacement level talents.

I do expect them do be able to do their job within the scheme. Mundy can't. He simply cannot play the seam defender role. The penalties he is drawing in the process just exacerbate his inability.

LG and FS (if Troy is injured) are the obvious weak points on the team right now and those spots are having an extraordinarily large impact on the games so far this season.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
ShooterMcGavin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Polamalu is out an extended period of time, LeBeau needs to make some changes in his playcalling. The fact is, a lot of the plays he runs are built around Polamalu. When he fails to make that play we've seen how a typical 10 yard gain can turn into an 80 yard touchdown. Now imagine Mundy having to do what Troy typically does. Gives you nightmares, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShooterMcGavin wrote:
If Polamalu is out an extended period of time, LeBeau needs to make some changes in his playcalling. The fact is, a lot of the plays he runs are built around Polamalu. When he fails to make that play we've seen how a typical 10 yard gain can turn into an 80 yard touchdown. Now imagine Mundy having to do what Troy typically does. Gives you nightmares, doesn't it?

Agree 100 %. The main question I have is which of the younger CB's / Draft picks who have shown some capacity for playing safety can accelerate their progress and become a reliable backup ASAP?!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShooterMcGavin wrote:

Been that way for years.

IMO, when Polamalu is out and even when he isnt 100%, our playcalling becomes uber conservative, and as we have seen, that leads to trouble.

Now, yesterday after he went down, we still played pretty aggressively, but it may have been because the gameplan was designed THINKING he would be out there all game.

at23steelers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT news Rolling Eyes : Well this answers my question:

Tomlin said Mundy will continue to replace Troy but "we're also willing to look at Will Allen as well. We're capable of playing both guys."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: