Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT: Saints vs. Chargers - Unitas we stand, divided we fall.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: GDT: Saints vs. Chargers - Unitas we stand, divided we fall. Reply with quote

New Orleans Saints (0-4) vs. San Diego Chargers (3-1).

Venue:

While the game has importance to the Chargers due to their outstanding start, it will be secondary as this Sunday, one of the most beloved Saints has a chance to break a record that stood for 40 years.

From the Pro-Football HOF:

Quote:
At the time of his retirement in 1973, Johnny Unitas, the superstar quarterback of the Baltimore Colts, held virtually every career passing record that existed in the National Football League. Since that time, some of those records have been surpassed.

One record, however, stood out among the many. He threw a touchdown pass in 47 straight games, a string that stood unchallenged for a half century until Drew Brees of the New Orleans Saints tied it.

Joe Unitas, son of Johnny Unitas, sends a letter to Drew:

Quote:
Drew,

I wanted to take a minute to congratulate you on tying my fatherís record for most consecutive games with a touchdown pass. Iíve been following your pursuit of the record since last season. Iím a big fan of yours, and wish you the best Sunday night against San Diego as you try to break the record. My father always said that records were meant to be broken. I know that if he was still with us that he would wish you the best as well.

When I look back on my fatherís life I remember a man who was much bigger than the game of football. The things he would appreciate most about you have nothing to do with football; itís about who you are as a person. Youíre a role model for todayís youth, a family man, and a humanitarian who cares for his community. My father would tell you these are the important things in life, not some record in a book.

Full is right here: http://www.wwl.com/Son-of-Unitas-pens-letter-to-Drew-Brees-on-eve-of-/14388837

While the Saints are off to an abysmal start, lets step back for maybe part of this game, and realize how lucky we are to have a player and person, as good as Brees on this team. After breaking Marino's record last year, he is poised to break another great's record this year.

No. 9, this game is for you!

(oh and a win would be nice, but you know, no biggie. Take your time)

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GDT: Saints vs. Chargers - Unitas we stand, divided we f Reply with quote

As much as we all wanted to really stick it to the NFL and GODell this season, the fact is that the odds were really stacked aganist us. Losing Sean Payton, "the heart and soul of this football team" for the year while at the same time going through a major shift in defensive philosophy under Spags. The Brees contract situation and all the other negitive press surronding this franchise has been simply to much for these players and coaches to handle.

But...

I am proud of the fight in this team!

I am just as proud now as I was when we hoisted that trophy.

Drew Brees cares about this football team, he cares about this franchise, this city and ALL the whodats in it! He brought something to us that should NEVER be forgotten... Not a superbowl championship (although that was nice) but respectability.

For that Drew "even with his faults cause we all have'em" will ALWAYS be my favorite Saint and when he breaks this record it couldent have happened for a more deserving player/man!

WHODAT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk958n5n66o
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brees will more likely then not use Cason as his whipping boy to break this record. Please please please don't let this be the week the Saints snap out of the doldrums though. You guys are a match up nightmare for us.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 win before the bye week.

Pray Pray Pray Pray Pray

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: GDT: Saints vs. Chargers - Unitas we stand, divided we f Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
(oh and a win would be nice, but you know, no biggie. Take your time)

Laughing That line made me lol, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had tickets to this game but couldn't get myself to fly all the way to New Orleans to see our 0-4 squad potentially go 0-5. Would have been cool to see Brees break the record, but I'm going to Vegas to have dinner with the Clippers instead. (Don't ask me how...my dad somehow got that hooked up from work haha) Hopefully we can put all the positives from the previous 4 weeks into one game and get that first W

www.beattproductions.com

Adopt-A-Saint 2014
WR Kenny Stills 9 cat 125 yds 0 TD
S Rafael Bush 22 tak 0 INT 2 PD 1 FF
NS922

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been getting closer and closer to a win every week. Last Sunday felt a little bit like previous years and I thought for sure we'd win. It just didn't really feel like a loss. I feel that this game HAS to be the game that finally snaps the streak. It's a primetime matchup at the Dome with historical value, and the team has to be extremely tired of losing by now. We've got the talent to beat anyone and although the defense has been absolutely horrible, the offense has been able to overcome that for a few years now. So I think all those factors will come together and finally result in a Saints victory.
Harper41

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know whats really unfortunate? I totally see us winning this game and then I see us finishing really strong and going 9-7, which sucks. I'd rather go 2-14 at this point and get a top 5 pick.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems certain Charger fan sites are supportive of Brees and hope he breaks the record. I'm glad Drew will have a good/great reception when it occurs. It's a hell of a record.

QB Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, I want Drew to get the record, but I'm sick of people comparing him to Unitas.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
Well it seems certain Charger fan sites are supportive of Brees and hope he breaks the record. I'm glad Drew will have a good/great reception when it occurs. It's a hell of a record.

We still have a ton of love for Drew Brees. Good luck tonight. Wow, Faith's legs are just... jaw dropping.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was quick. (thats what she said)

Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like theirs a new problem on defense every week. We seem to be getting pressure this week but now we're getting roasted deep. Next week we'll shut down the passing game but get shredded for 200 yards on the ground...this defense sucks

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brees gets it!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Harper41

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And theirs the record!

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: