Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

J. Best will get word this week...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: J. Best will get word this week... Reply with quote

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8474293

Quote:
Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best, who hasn't played since suffering his last concussion Oct. 16, 2011, will be undergoing a battery of tests this week to determine whether the Lions will activate him off the physically unable to perform list, according to sources.

The article also states thay Best is in the best shape of his career. Also, it says that Best has seen multiple doctors and in order to return, there has to be a consensus from them all that he is healthy.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see it happening. And if it does, I don't see him lasting long.

Adopt-A-Lion - Larry Warford, OG as in Original Gangsta
stylish313

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I just don't see it happening. And if it does, I don't see him lasting long.
I think it will happen. How long he'll last is where I'm skeptical, to say the least.
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm sure he'll be back and I'm hoping he was gone long enough to where he can last the rest of the season.

He's really really fast.
TheROARisBACK

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read he could of been returned but some doctors wanted him to be a year removed from his last concussion as a pre caution.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock. Unfortunately that's the sound of Jahvid Best's career winding down.

I would like nothing more than Jahvid to have a brilliant career. The odd's, his health, and medical science strongly suggest that isn't going to happen.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock. Unfortunately that's the sound of Jahvid Best's career winding down.

I would like nothing more than Jahvid to have a brilliant career. The odd's, his health, and medical science strongly suggest that isn't going to happen.

I honestly wish he would just retire and preserve his quality of life. I love football and he is very beneficial to my favorite team, but a kid keeping a high quality of life is much more important IMO.
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I think it's Jahvids decision (and only Jahvids decision) whether he wants to risk his "quality of life". We all know football is a dangerous sport. But coal mining, police force, firefighting, military, etc are dangerous jobs... we respect their decisions and wish them well. If Jahvid wants to take that chance to provide for his family, and he's medically cleared to do so, I don't see why anyone should have a say but him.

And that's just not because he's a Lion. I feel that way about all players. They know what they sign up for. They know the risks. They do it because they love it and it provides nicely for their families while they can do so.

If Jahvid hangs them up and never plays again, I will wish him well. If he decides to play, I will cheer him on.

Sig by Smack

2014 ADOPT-A-LION: DEVIN TAYLOR
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they don't clear him. One more major hit like he had in college and he's going to be a vegetable. Your brain is nothing to mess with. It doesn't take much to ruin a long list of major functions that I don't feel like getting technical with right now.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
Honestly, I think it's Jahvids decision (and only Jahvids decision) whether he wants to risk his "quality of life". We all know football is a dangerous sport. But coal mining, police force, firefighting, military, etc are dangerous jobs... we respect their decisions and wish them well. If Jahvid wants to take that chance to provide for his family, and he's medically cleared to do so, I don't see why anyone should have a say but him.

And that's just not because he's a Lion. I feel that way about all players. They know what they sign up for. They know the risks. They do it because they love it and it provides nicely for their families while they can do so.

If Jahvid hangs them up and never plays again, I will wish him well. If he decides to play, I will cheer him on.

No one except Jahvid and the Doctor's has a say in it so I'm not sure what you're getting at with the first part.

We are all Lion fans and wish him nothing but the best.

I don't agree with your comparison to other occupations either. They and others certainly have risk but the percentage of football players retiring with life altering injuries is far higher than any civilian occupations listed.

I work in an industry with unparalleled employee support from professional medical and psychological practioners to peer support groups. The reason is because it has the highest rate of suicide and stress related disorders of civilian organizations. The NFL is in the dark ages of supporting its players. Unlike many organizations that do take care of its players the NFL has been negligent, in my opinion.

As a fan, a father and someone who has lived a full life I to hope he elects to hang them up. That's my opinion but I certainly don't have a say in his future.

I understand his motivation but far to often young adults don't give reasonable consideration of the future because it seems far off when you're 24 or 25 years old. What's seems like reasonable risk now many times becomes regretted in later years. Especially in terms of health risks.

If Jahvid doesn't play another snap his concussions will most likely impact his quality of life in the future. Continued play is extremely risky for him because of that history.

If he does continue to play, which I'm sure he will, I will cheer for him just like every other player. I must admit however that I will be terrified every time he touches the ball for fear of him receiving another devastating concussion like the one he received in college.

He doesn't make life altering income so in my mind its a poor decision to take potential life altering risk.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:

He doesn't make life altering income so in my mind its a poor decision to take potential life altering risk.

Did he graduate from Cal with a degree? And if he did does anyone know what it was?
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
diehardlionfan wrote:

Did he graduate from Cal with a degree? And if he did does anyone know what it was?

Came out after his junior season and his major is listed as undeclared so I suspect he did not.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was against him coming back for the longest time. IF he is medically cleared bring it on.

Medical experts know bests I guess and Det could use him big time.

AAL DT- C Reid
AAL MLB- Tulloch
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:

I never suggested anyone make the decision for him.

I do, however, hope a kid that does not realize the effects on his long term life on a larger scale does not make a decision he winds up regretting in a horrible way.
lizardking28

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:

10 Million dollars/2 million a year is not life altering income? If he made the median personal income in the US he would have to work for 66 years to make what he makes in 1 year. Even if he made 100k a year he'd have to work for 20 years to make what he makes in 1, and 100 years to fulfill his contract.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: