Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How will people remember Shaun Alexander?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 45643
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:
Alexander was a good RB

Marshawn pre-injuries had the potential to be be special. Behind our line? He would be running at DB's all game long.


Alexander was special.
Marshawn isn't.

How hard is this for seattle fans to understand?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 45643
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
But yeah, you're right- you've never been wrong about the players you consistently pimp before to the extremes

In the annals of history, Marshawn Lynch will never come close to attaining the success that Shaun Alexander had- and thats not all because of one LT and one LG.

Alexander was a beast and its pretty ridiculous for anyone to say otherwise.

Just because he wasn't/isnt a HOFer doesn't mean he wasn't a great player.


So you're saying I'm a homer for pimping a current Seahawk instead of pimping a former Seahawk great? Laughing Wow, you really must be bored or something. You're right though, Lynch likely won't achieve the numbers that Shaun put up. And it's not just the left side either. The offensive line of Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson, Robbie Tobeck, Chris Gray, and Sean Locklear played 5 full, uninterrupted seasons together. Cohesion is unbelievably important in the NFL and while only the first two players will be remembered for their individual play, the entire line as a whole was very, very good. Not only that, but we had one of the best passing games in the league during that time and teams couldn't stack the box like they do now with a QB that is dead last in passing yards. Hasselbeck made teams respect the pass just as much as the run. Lynch has played with a poor Hasselbeck, a terrible Tarvaris Jackson, and a pretty bad Russell Wilson so far. Not only that, but let's not forget that the NFC West was TERRIBLE during Alexander's stint as a Seahawk whereas Lynch now plays 6 games in the division where each team is a top 15 total defense (2 of them being top 5). And just to reiterate the point, Lynch led the league in yards after initial contact last year. Just in case that doesn't really sink in, it means that most of his yards are of his own doing, which you cannot say about Alexander if you actually watched him.



But yea, let's just completely forget about context and skillset and just view the players as statistics. That's the best way to go about it.


That's what I'm saying. That you're being a 2012 Seattle Seahawks homer just so you can pimp Marshawn Lynch.

Shawn Alexander was one of the best I've ever seen at sifting through defenders. He had great vision, and he was a great player.

Way better player than marshawn lynch who gives up on his team (COUGH BUFFALO) and simply isn't as good as you make him out to be.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SaveourSonics


Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 45415
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Tooki wrote:
Alexander was a good RB

Marshawn pre-injuries had the potential to be be special. Behind our line? He would be running at DB's all game long.


Alexander was special.
Marshawn isn't.

How hard is this for seattle fans to understand?


Oh, it's just as easy as that? Laughing I hope you didn't miss my last post. This is hysterical.
_________________
'
Richard D!ck Sherman 4 Prez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Mossburg


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
Joined: 02 Jan 2005
Posts: 43727
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing special about Alxander was durability, a lot of which was him avoiding taking big hits, which may or may not be a good thing if you're talking RBs.
_________________
Equal Opportunity Hater

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SaveourSonics


Joined: 20 Apr 2008
Posts: 45415
Location: Sleepless in Seattle
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
That's what I'm saying. That you're being a 2012 Seattle Seahawks homer just so you can pimp Marshawn Lynch.

Shawn Alexander was one of the best I've ever seen at sifting through defenders. He had great vision, and he was a great player.

Way better player than marshawn lynch who gives up on his team (COUGH BUFFALO) and simply isn't as good as you make him out to be.


Oh, so now there are different genres of homerism? Laughing I'm being a 2012 homer now Laughing Laughing

Shaun was great, I'm not debating that. But Lynch is better and you're clearly being influenced purely by numbers and your weird hate for the Seahawks (or the way I "pimp" them, apparently). Not sure what Lynch quiting on Buffalo has to do with his time spent as a Seahawk where he's been nothing but a great teammate. He is as good as I'm making him out to be, but you refuse to actually digest anything I'm saying because your agenda is cemented.
_________________
'
Richard D!ck Sherman 4 Prez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
J Pep 4 Step


Joined: 01 Apr 2007
Posts: 30084
Location: Greenvillain, NC
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
The only thing special about Alxander was durability, a lot of which was him avoiding taking big hits, which may or may not be a good thing if you're talking RBs.


You could call it avoiding big hits. You could call is making defenders miss. But whatever you call it, it was a good thing. Alexander was effective. He was never as physical as his size suggested he could be. But he had good vision, was slippery, never went down from an arm tackle and always managed to fall forward for that extra yard.

I can see where people would find Lynch more entertaining to watch. But he isnt as effective a RB.
_________________

CK on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 45643
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
That's what I'm saying. That you're being a 2012 Seattle Seahawks homer just so you can pimp Marshawn Lynch.

Shawn Alexander was one of the best I've ever seen at sifting through defenders. He had great vision, and he was a great player.

Way better player than marshawn lynch who gives up on his team (COUGH BUFFALO) and simply isn't as good as you make him out to be.


Oh, so now there are different genres of homerism? Laughing I'm being a 2012 homer now Laughing Laughing

Shaun was great, I'm not debating that. But Lynch is better and you're clearly being influenced purely by numbers and your weird hate for the Seahawks (or the way I "pimp" them, apparently). Not sure what Lynch quiting on Buffalo has to do with his time spent as a Seahawk where he's been nothing but a great teammate. He is as good as I'm making him out to be, but you refuse to actually digest anything I'm saying because your agenda is cemented.


Dude, you pimped Ricardo Lockette and Pete Carroll harder than anyone. This is why I disregard anything you say in regards to the 2012 Seahawks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 45643
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
The only thing special about Alxander was durability, a lot of which was him avoiding taking big hits, which may or may not be a good thing if you're talking RBs.


Yeah I mean other than the fact that he's tied for 7th in ALL TIME RUSHING TDs with 100. Only durability got him there.

Oh, in 9 seasons- three less than marshall faulk, who he's tied with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mossburg


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
Joined: 02 Jan 2005
Posts: 43727
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
The only thing special about Alxander was durability, a lot of which was him avoiding taking big hits, which may or may not be a good thing if you're talking RBs.


Yeah I mean other than the fact that he's tied for 7th in ALL TIME RUSHING TDs with 100. Only durability got him there.

Oh, in 9 seasons- three less than marshall faulk, who he's tied with.


Ummm yea, that's durability and consistently playing for an offense that puts him in a position to score (to which he of course contributed). You act like he was a one man army his entire career like Chris Johnson 2 years ago.
_________________
Equal Opportunity Hater

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 45643
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
The only thing special about Alxander was durability, a lot of which was him avoiding taking big hits, which may or may not be a good thing if you're talking RBs.


Yeah I mean other than the fact that he's tied for 7th in ALL TIME RUSHING TDs with 100. Only durability got him there.

Oh, in 9 seasons- three less than marshall faulk, who he's tied with.


Ummm yea, that's durability and consistently playing for an offense that puts him in a position to score (to which he of course contributed). You act like he was a one man army his entire career like Chris Johnson 2 years ago.


And you act like he was a chump, which was far and away not the case
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mossburg


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
Joined: 02 Jan 2005
Posts: 43727
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
The only thing special about Alxander was durability, a lot of which was him avoiding taking big hits, which may or may not be a good thing if you're talking RBs.


Yeah I mean other than the fact that he's tied for 7th in ALL TIME RUSHING TDs with 100. Only durability got him there.

Oh, in 9 seasons- three less than marshall faulk, who he's tied with.


Ummm yea, that's durability and consistently playing for an offense that puts him in a position to score (to which he of course contributed). You act like he was a one man army his entire career like Chris Johnson 2 years ago.


And you act like he was a chump, which was far and away not the case


He was a good RB whose stats were amplified by his surroundings. Nothing more, nothing less. Like I said, he has those stats largely in part because he was great at not taking big hits, so he had a long and productive career unlike most other RBs.

There's absolutely nothing special about him as a RB. If you want to say he had a special career, I might buy. But a lot of that was not due to his own abilities.
_________________
Equal Opportunity Hater

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 45643
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
The only thing special about Alxander was durability, a lot of which was him avoiding taking big hits, which may or may not be a good thing if you're talking RBs.


Yeah I mean other than the fact that he's tied for 7th in ALL TIME RUSHING TDs with 100. Only durability got him there.

Oh, in 9 seasons- three less than marshall faulk, who he's tied with.


Ummm yea, that's durability and consistently playing for an offense that puts him in a position to score (to which he of course contributed). You act like he was a one man army his entire career like Chris Johnson 2 years ago.


And you act like he was a chump, which was far and away not the case


He was a good RB whose stats were amplified by his surroundings. Nothing more, nothing less. Like I said, he has those stats largely in part because he was great at not taking big hits, so he had a long and productive career unlike most other RBs.

There's absolutely nothing special about him as a RB. If you want to say he had a special career, I might buy. But a lot of that was not due to his own abilities.


He had a good QB, and two great players on the left side of the line. Other than that the rest of the SEA offense was pretty much mediocre. Unless if you thought Jerramy Stevens was tight. Darrell Jackson! WORLD BEATER.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mossburg


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
Joined: 02 Jan 2005
Posts: 43727
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
The only thing special about Alxander was durability, a lot of which was him avoiding taking big hits, which may or may not be a good thing if you're talking RBs.


Yeah I mean other than the fact that he's tied for 7th in ALL TIME RUSHING TDs with 100. Only durability got him there.

Oh, in 9 seasons- three less than marshall faulk, who he's tied with.


Ummm yea, that's durability and consistently playing for an offense that puts him in a position to score (to which he of course contributed). You act like he was a one man army his entire career like Chris Johnson 2 years ago.


And you act like he was a chump, which was far and away not the case


He was a good RB whose stats were amplified by his surroundings. Nothing more, nothing less. Like I said, he has those stats largely in part because he was great at not taking big hits, so he had a long and productive career unlike most other RBs.

There's absolutely nothing special about him as a RB. If you want to say he had a special career, I might buy. But a lot of that was not due to his own abilities.


He had a good QB, and two great players on the left side of the line. Other than that the rest of the SEA offense was pretty much mediocre. Unless if you thought Jerramy Stevens was tight. Darrell Jackson! WORLD BEATER.


Seattle always had a very productive offense under Holmgren, no reason to deny that.
_________________
Equal Opportunity Hater

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mistakebytehlak


Joined: 20 Nov 2005
Posts: 45643
Location: Brooklyn, NY
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
The only thing special about Alxander was durability, a lot of which was him avoiding taking big hits, which may or may not be a good thing if you're talking RBs.


Yeah I mean other than the fact that he's tied for 7th in ALL TIME RUSHING TDs with 100. Only durability got him there.

Oh, in 9 seasons- three less than marshall faulk, who he's tied with.


Ummm yea, that's durability and consistently playing for an offense that puts him in a position to score (to which he of course contributed). You act like he was a one man army his entire career like Chris Johnson 2 years ago.


And you act like he was a chump, which was far and away not the case


He was a good RB whose stats were amplified by his surroundings. Nothing more, nothing less. Like I said, he has those stats largely in part because he was great at not taking big hits, so he had a long and productive career unlike most other RBs.

There's absolutely nothing special about him as a RB. If you want to say he had a special career, I might buy. But a lot of that was not due to his own abilities.


He had a good QB, and two great players on the left side of the line. Other than that the rest of the SEA offense was pretty much mediocre. Unless if you thought Jerramy Stevens was tight. Darrell Jackson! WORLD BEATER.


Seattle always had a very productive offense under Holmgren, no reason to deny that.


...which had nothing to do with the ultra productive ultra talented Shaun Alexander, right?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mossburg


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
Joined: 02 Jan 2005
Posts: 43727
Location: Straight Cash Inc. Headquarters
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
mistakebytehlak wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
The only thing special about Alxander was durability, a lot of which was him avoiding taking big hits, which may or may not be a good thing if you're talking RBs.


Yeah I mean other than the fact that he's tied for 7th in ALL TIME RUSHING TDs with 100. Only durability got him there.

Oh, in 9 seasons- three less than marshall faulk, who he's tied with.


Ummm yea, that's durability and consistently playing for an offense that puts him in a position to score (to which he of course contributed). You act like he was a one man army his entire career like Chris Johnson 2 years ago.


And you act like he was a chump, which was far and away not the case


He was a good RB whose stats were amplified by his surroundings. Nothing more, nothing less. Like I said, he has those stats largely in part because he was great at not taking big hits, so he had a long and productive career unlike most other RBs.

There's absolutely nothing special about him as a RB. If you want to say he had a special career, I might buy. But a lot of that was not due to his own abilities.


He had a good QB, and two great players on the left side of the line. Other than that the rest of the SEA offense was pretty much mediocre. Unless if you thought Jerramy Stevens was tight. Darrell Jackson! WORLD BEATER.


Seattle always had a very productive offense under Holmgren, no reason to deny that.


...which had nothing to do with the ultra productive ultra talented Shaun Alexander, right?


I said he contributed to it. But his cast amplified his production. No better example than his "MVP" season.
_________________
Equal Opportunity Hater

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group