Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike Clay's statistical breakdown
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Mike Clay's statistical breakdown Reply with quote

Found this awesome article on PE.com, which breaks down statistically all the personnel packages the Eagles have used thus far on offense and defense.

Here are some highlights:

Quote:
The Eaglesí base offense is, of course, the 3-1-0-1. Assuming full health, the package will generally feature Jeremy Maclin and DeSean Jackson on the outside, Jason Avant in the slot, Brent Celek at tight end and LeSean McCoy in the backfield. This package has been in place on 83 of the teamís 181 offensive plays (46 percent) this season.

Quote:
Notice the teamís production in what are generally short-yardage and/or goalline sets. In situations where one fullback and a pair of tight ends are on the field (fewer than two wide receivers), the Eagles have lost 12 yards on 13 carries.

Quote:
On the other hand, when in the 4-3, the Eagles are giving up an 8.3 YPA and 60 percent completion rate.

The Eagles are best in both passing and rushing when in the 3 WR, 1 HB, 0 FB, and 1 TE set. Vick completes 70% of his passes out of this set is interesting. The sample sizes are relatively small so far.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Notice the teamís production in what are generally short-yardage and/or goalline sets. In situations where one fullback and a pair of tight ends are on the field (fewer than two wide receivers), the Eagles have lost 12 yards on 13 carries.

I despise this formation. Just spread a team out 3-4 wide and utilize Shady or Vicks legs to hit a open hole. No excuse (ala NYG) to run this package when we are not a physical running team. Utilize our speed not our lack of power.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 16 Rec/ 296 Yds/ 3 TD/ 18.5 YPC/
oland11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Havili is that utility tool that doesn't do any job well just can get most jobs done.
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Quote:

I despise this formation. Just spread a team out 3-4 wide and utilize Shady or Vicks legs to hit a open hole. No excuse (ala NYG) to run this package when we are not a physical running team. Utilize our speed not our lack of power.

We may not have good rushing results in 2 TE/1FB sets, but in the 2 WR/1 TE/1 FB set vs NYG, LeSean gained 80+ yards over 2 or 3 drives in the 2nd half.
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Quote:

We may not have good rushing results in 2 TE/1FB sets, but in the 2 WR/1 TE/1 FB set vs NYG, LeSean gained 80+ yards over 2 or 3 drives in the 2nd half.

I'm fine with Havili in at times to lead block. But this Bunch/power formation that leads to having 10 players in the box defensively and a Oline having to get a push in order to run needs to be abandoned. All it does is close any holes up inside forcing Shady 9x10 to automatically bounce to the outside. Spread the field , open lanes and give both McCoy and Vick the option IMO.

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 16 Rec/ 296 Yds/ 3 TD/ 18.5 YPC/
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the biggest fan of the 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB formation (generally). I much prefer the 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB formation.

However, you can see why Reid uses the former more - he must prefer Avant's skills to Harbour's.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it me, or wasn't we pretty good at punching it in last year on the goal line with Shady?

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
Meco

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Is it me, or weren't we pretty good at punching it in last year on the goal line with Shady?

We were but that was when we had Jason Peters and Jason Kelce, our two best linemen.
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Is it me, or wasn't we pretty good at punching it in last year on the goal line with Shady?

I think it's due to the fact that we're missing 340 lbs of prime offensive tackle that is Jason Peters.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meco wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Is it me, or weren't we pretty good at punching it in last year on the goal line with Shady?

We were but that was when we had Jason Peters and Jason Kelce, our two best linemen.

Kelce isn't exactly big, so it's not like he helped a whole lot with punching it in, especially since Shady got to the outside most of the time. I doubt JP is the only reason, or I hope so.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Meco wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

Kelce isn't exactly big, so it's not like he helped a whole lot with punching it in, especially since Shady got to the outside most of the time. I doubt JP is the only reason, or I hope so.

Can't you remember how dominant Peters was last year, his absence is obviously a big reason

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
Phire

Location: #championchip #2012BirdsHoF #2012GoldStnd #YAKtoseIntolerant #Merica #TrollyRangers #Danes #BirdGang
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky_b27 wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:
Meco wrote:
RainbowCarebear wrote:

Can't you remember how dominant Peters was last year, his absence is obviously a big reason

Nobody was moving Peters backwards, Shady would just read his block and find the soft spot.

I would also remind people that the Eagles have traditionally kept their offense and defenses simple early in the season.

The full playbook doesn't open up till later. It's a big reason why the Eagles, again, typically under Andy Reid have had a better record in successive months.

source

Quote:
Historically, Reid's teams have done well in the second half of the season. By far, Reid's best month is December, in which he has a 39-15 career record. His record for the other months are as follows: 23-20 in September, 29-21 in October, 33-21-1 in November and 12-12 in January.

I would remind that we face the best teams in the league in January, and I would guess .500 is pretty darn good if you compared it to the rest of the league (my estimation) for those getting blue in the face reading that.

We will see more creativity in the red zone as the season progresses.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Only for the quick and lucky.

Danish proverb 3:69
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, but have we not run the sprint draw play as much this year - I wonder if it's because we've lost Peters (who was awesome at it)

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles
oland11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...Is anyone interested in resigning Tra Thomas? xD I mean he owns a gym where he does intense workouts. I'm sure he could do a decent job on the field(At least better than Mattress and King). Only problem for him would be staying healthy.
marky_b27

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oland11 wrote:
So...Is anyone interested in resigning Tra Thomas? xD I mean he owns a gym where he does intense workouts. I'm sure he could do a decent job on the field(At least better than Mattress and King). Only problem for him would be staying healthy.

Isn't he like 40? His knees are most probably knackered.

RainbowCarebear wrote:
Marky > Foles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: