Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Late Wednesday Afternoon-ish Quarterback: Week 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldfishwars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff, enjoyed it a lot.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Quote:
Homefield advantage. It's something you hear in every sport; from football, to baseball, to basketball, to even that thing we Americans call soccer (I've never seen it but I can only assume it to be real). But what is homefield advantage exactly? Does it really serve a benefit at all, or is it simply something hometown fans lean on as a post of hope when their team is up against the ropes.

Sorry, this isn't on topic, but I just wanted to point something out that is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Soccer is a term that originated in England, short for Association [Football]. Just ticks me off because it seems like many somewhat pretentious people like to lament Americans calling it that.

Edit - For those wondering...

Quote:
Americans are brushed off with incisive statements like, how can we take you seriously? You don't even call it ‘football’ as the rest of the world does. This of course ignores that Hungarians and Italians do not call the sport football, and everybody takes the Italians seriously and everyone once took Hungarian soccer very seriously, especially England. Much of the non-British English-speaking world does not call the sport football. It is not called football in South Africa, and the Australian national team is not nicknamed the football-roos, they are the soccer-roos.

Soccer's etymology is not American but British. It comes from an abbreviation for Association Football, the official name of the sport (for those of you who have never heard the team "Association Football" before, it was named after the Football Association, which still governs English soccer, to differentiate itself from the other major type of football, Rugby Football, which was named after the Rugby School. FIFA, the world governing body of soccer, is French for the International Federation of Association Football… F-I-F-A). For obvious reasons, in the 1880s and 1890s, English newspapers couldn't use the first three letters of Association as an abbreviation in their pages, so they took the next syllable, S-O-C. With the British penchant for adding "-er" at the end of words: punter, footballer, copper, and, of course, nicknaming rugby, "rugger," the word "soccer" was soon born, over a hundred years ago, here in England, the home of soccer. We adopted it and kept using it because we have our own indigenous sport that we call football.

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/rss/transcripts/worldcup2006a.html

In addition to the actual article, this was a good read. I had no idea about both the origins of the soccer term being English, nor the English's propensity to place "er" after their words. Interesting.

In terms of the article, I'll wait longer before crowning the NFC as this amazing conference. It's true that I do think they have the better coaching.. and that's a difference, but it's still way too early for me to consider them a dominant conference.

With regards to the point about the Saints, I think they get too much credit. They're a horribly coached team that I expected to be about 5-11 going into this season because of Payton and the fall-out from bountygate. They look worse than I expected, but I don't necessarily expect them to turn things around. That team is busted and just because they have Brees, I don't think they'll be able to turn it around. Brees will probably end up smashing every QB record this season because his team will be behind so much and he's one of the few players they have on that squad. I'll wait at least another month before crowning that conference with anything, but if they are as strong as advertised it's because of the coaching... and with the Saints coaching being so bad and the talent being so nill, I don't buy into the thought that they're going to turn it around.

ETs story was hilarious. I thought he'd go the Jeff Spicoli route... but wow... that was bad.

Was confused with the Rugby part, but it's nice to know.

Not a baseball fan, but with having so many Orioles fans in the family and knowing so many people that are passionate about them... people that were simply becoming more and more defeated with the direction of the Orioles in years past, it's nice to see the Orioles do well and give the fans a reason to really get back to being proud of their team.

This was well put together to reading more in the future.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH8tmL8n1ps

Any man who can take that and keep on playing deserves some credit right?

To be honest, it is hard to really show what actually goes on in the bottom of a ruck where this guy does most of his work, but you don't want to be there and Richie goes there willingly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGTbdds-5PE&feature=related

That is a nice video.

Not sure how to describe him really though without really knowing the sport.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

To be honest, it is hard to really show what actually goes on in the bottom of a ruck where this guy does most of his work, but you don't want to be there and Richie goes there willingly.

That is a nice video.

Maybe try to find a way to tie his story to a football player/story, so the uninitiated have a frame of reference.

Players I would compare him with are a prime Polamalu and Ray Lewis, a fierce defender who forces key turnovers, and leads by example.

As for the dark arts of the openside flanker, I'm not sure that has a real comparison in am. football. So many refs on the field, and no rucks. Maybe comparable to Fitzgerald's facemask on Finnegan last thursday. Bend the rules a bit in your favor.

#97 Everson Griffin: 27 tackles : 5.5 sacks : 1 FF ; 16 games played
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:

That is a nice video.

I get that it was a shout-out to a great player of another sport... and the videos above were interesting- the guy is a beast, just was confused with the connect to football... but since this was my first read of something like this, I just imagined there must be a segment that consistently gives a shout out to great athletes of other sports... or something.

But it's funny how Rugby looks. Never watched it before outside of the highlights the networks tend to show of Haloti Ngata carrying like 8 guys on him and breaking 20 tackles back when he used to play Rugby as a... slightly smaller human being (I don't think he's ever been a 'kid' a day in his life Laughing). It really does look like a combination between soccer and football. Looking at Rugby is like watching TLC and seeing those specials they do on human (homo sapiens) ancestors and stuff... and then it's like ooohhh, that's what evolution looks like. Knowing what soccer and football look like and then seeing Rugby, the evolution pattern becomes clear.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there's Australian Rules, which just throws everything for a loop.
Colt45fool

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great read, awesome articles (ETs story being especially awesome.) I plan on contributing soon, but realistically I haven't been inspired enough to write anything nearly as good as what was written. Will contribute soon though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: