Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How will people remember Shaun Alexander?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tooki

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
I think he'll be remembered as a good back for the Seahawks, a definite ring of honor (or whatever they call it there) type player. But he's not a HOF back. He only had 5 good-elite years, so he didn't have the longevity you look for.

He wasn't a dual threat back, so as time goes on- his value historically will be viewed as even less in leagues that ask their RBs to be more and more versatile. Really, I'd put him in the same category as Jamal Lewis and Priest Holmes historically. Lewis was the more punishing back and had the better longevity and his peak season was up there with Alexander's peak season, but otherwise looked inferior. Holmes played behind the better line, had the much shorter prime/career, but was explosive and was a dual threat back... which will only become more and more valued as time goes along.

But that being said, Alexander never really had anything to his running style that will make him memorable. You'll remember Holmes as a guy with ankle break moves and Lewis as a guy who could plow through metal... so while Alexander- during the time- was a better back, might not be remember as better in the longhaul. Especially with how he looked like he gave up towards the end of his career... he looked not too dissimilar to how CJ2k looks now.

alexander=Vision

But how often are people more impressed by a nice cutback as opposed to an ankle breaking move or a RB breaking 8 tackles on a TD scoring play? And it's not like other RBs didn't have comparable vision... or in LTs case, better vision.

Really though, the reality is that many people who saw Alexander play will likely remember him as a guy that gave up after getting paid. That lack of effort will forever tarnish his ability in his prime.

He didn't give up once he got paid. The problem is that our incompetent GM (Tim Ruskell) gave him a payday right as his body was shutting down. He was run into the ground over those 5 big seasons.

And LT is the best running back of the past decade. What's the point in comparing an inferior player to him? Alexander had elite vision. Yes he had big holes, but it takes vision to hit those holes consistently. Plus he had a mean stiff arm.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tooki wrote:

He didn't give up once he got paid. The problem is that our incompetent GM (Tim Ruskell) gave him a payday right as his body was shutting down. He was run into the ground over those 5 big seasons.

And LT is the best running back of the past decade. What's the point in comparing an inferior player to him? Alexander had elite vision. Yes he had big holes, but it takes vision to hit those holes consistently. Plus he had a mean stiff arm.

I referred to that in my former post. His prime wasn't really all that impressive in terms of longevity. Sure he had a lot of carries on his plate, but he got paid after a career year. It's not as if he got paid the year after while he was in the middle of a slump. He performed, got paid, and then quit.

It's not even just about his body shutting down. I know what quitting looks like... the fact of the matter is that Alexander simply played soft after he got his deal. I expressly remember watching games where the year before he'd deliver a stiff arm or give you effort, but the year after you'd see him standing behind the LOS and if a hole didn't develop, he'd fall down behind his blockers to avoid hits or go out of bounds.

Jamal Lewis was bad with pitter pattering behind the LOS his last two seasons in Baltimore as well, but he did bounce back in Cleveland for a season and he never got quite to the point of where Alexander got to in terms of effort... not that his effort was much better. It tarnishes both of their legacies IMO. But at least we got to see Lewis bounce back. Alexander quit and then left... so my very last memories of him in the league are as a guy who got paid and then quit.

And in terms of why I compared LT to him, well this is a thread about how Alexander is going to be remembered. LT is an all-time great at the position, so of course LT is going to be the measuring stick. Plus I didn't just say LT... I said 'numerous backs had comparable vision'. I could've outright named guys like Priest Holmes (who I named in my previous post so had no need to be redundant), Marshall Faulk, Warrick Dunn, Frank Gore, etc. All guys who played during that time period with comparable levels of vision.

Elite physical tools (elite speed, elite quickness, elite hands, elite strength, etc.) are things that tend to make RBs stand out historically or even against their peers. Alexander was more of a jack-of-all trades in terms of traits, but didn't have any truly elite abilities other than his vision. So that's not going to be enough to elevate him above the many other RBs in the history of the league that played at a high level... especially when he wasn't a dual threat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexander was a beast for a few years, but I dont think he is really that "memorable" outside of Seattle and maybe a few others who were particularly fond of him.

Still, while he was very good, I think just about any decent RB couldve found a good deal of success behind that line. Hutch and Walter Jones were utterly dominant together. They are the real memorable ones when it comes to the Seahawks running game with Alexander.

Im not trying to discredit Alexander, because he was very good....but again, not "memorably" good.

simonwayne wrote:
We ain't got nothing man, just a chiefs win, thats all you get...And next week it will be wash, rinse, repeat.
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... as the best HS running back in Northern KY history. And not much else outside of Seattle.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the guy with the most undeserved MVP award in recent memory.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
cpanthers178990

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another victim in the long line of the Madden curse.

SuperCam Career stat track.
48 GP
11,299 Pass Yards
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Meco

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who?

Wink
mozwanted

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:

really? why do u say that? he did have 27 tds that year
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mozwanted wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Already been over this. Tiki Barber and Tom Brady were both more valuable that year. Alexander was largely the product of one of the best offensive lines in recent history.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I dont care that that little girl was adorable... I'll punch her in the face!
patsfan25

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles101 wrote:
in the long run he wont be remembered

Pun intended?

Anyways, Shaun Alexander had one of the best visions I've ever seen from a Running Back. It was like he knew all the shortcuts and back alleys around town.
Touchdowns:6
Launches:6

OFFENSIVE MVP
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He made my dad yell at the TV a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXttr6qph80

Just watched this video of his 2005 MVP season, and Tzi was right. This dude was gifted with gaping holes for days. Still, doesn't take away the great vision he had. Anybody notice how he was eventually just celebrating TDs by himself? Laughing
Touchdowns:6
Launches:6

OFFENSIVE MVP
GaTechRavens

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tzimisce wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

Already been over this. Tiki Barber and Tom Brady were both more valuable that year. Alexander was largely the product of one of the best offensive lines in recent history.

You can't expect people to ignore a 21 touchdown difference, nor should they.

Brady...find a non-Pats fan who shares your sentiment, then we'll talk. I don't think he even had a QB rating over 90, which shouldn't get you anywhere near an MVP discussion post-2004.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who overreacts so much to supporting casts that they ignore the actual performance (a pretty big epidemic on FF). If it's that big of a deal to you, give it to Jones or Hutch instead. Not Brady. Whoever you think made that Seahawks offense go, that's who needs to win the award.

I don't care who your o-line is, you're not putting up that kind of season without an incredible running back.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaTechRavens wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:
mozwanted wrote:
Tzimisce wrote:

You can't expect people to ignore a 21 touchdown difference, nor should they.

Brady...find a non-Pats fan who shares your sentiment, then we'll talk. I don't think he even had a QB rating over 90, which shouldn't get you anywhere near an MVP discussion post-2004.

I'm guessing you're one of those people who overreacts so much to supporting casts that they ignore the actual performance (a pretty big epidemic on FF). If it's that big of a deal to you, give it to Jones or Hutch instead. Not Brady. Whoever you think made that Seahawks offense go, that's who needs to win the award.

I don't care who your o-line is, you're not putting up that kind of season without an incredible running back.

It was not a 21 TD difference.

And hell, give me Hasselbeck off that offense before Alexander. The guy was crazy efficient.

Adopt-a-Chief: Brandon Flowers
45 Tackles, 1 sack, 1 Interception, 32 INT yards, 5 PDs

Last edited by Jakuvious on Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really good back in his prime that tappered off heavily after losing his all-pro guard

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: