Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Sky Is NOT falling... Review of First Quarter of Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do You Agree With Shango's Assessment Of The Season 1/4 Of Way Through The 2012 Season???
Yes
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
No
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Well if thats the case, then my bad. I'm usually decent at detecting joking/sarcasm.

Now actually regarding the post... Shango's "assessment"- if you really want to call it that- is mostly right. As I sit here after week 4, I have very little hope that this team will make the playoffs. I still have some hope. But not much. And until they string multiple strong performances together (don't have to be wins, but strong, contending performances while being mistake free), I will not have much hope. This is the same team as last year. 2-2 is not the end of a season. Do our prospects look good for the schedule after the BYE? Not at all lol. But saying there is NO hope after 2-2 is foolish.

That's another thing about this team that gets me...when we lose, dear God do we lose ugly.

Yeah, there's no middle ground. They either have a great game or they absolutely stink. Even against TB, the offence was awful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only positive is the skilled positions are set. WRs and CBs. The negatives is without those guys in the trenches we cannot win without big plays. Maybe we improve next year...I don't know...this goes back to Jerry Jones. He built this team...he claims this team can win. We shall see.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Seriously Slam? I haven't been here as long as some but I feel as though I've made enough contribution to voice my opinion that you are better than that post. Reading that was as bad as watching that game last night.

Sorry bro... you gotta keep that opinion to yourself for at least another 3 months. Please delete your post, rookie.

So I have to wait a certain time-frame to speak my opinions? Haha ok Mr. Lawyer man. I realize you believe you're God's gift to arguing and belittling people but keep those opinions to yourself for at least another...well, forever. For the record...not really a rookie. Been reading around here for 4 years and contributed for a while under a slightly different username before taking off from it for a long while. But hey, I appreciate the rude little quip.

Great... another premadonna rookie. Let me guess, you probably just expect everybody to vote you as rookie of the year in the next cowpokes???

Slam sig bet participants:

A62
Buddy
PincheJimmy
Dirk Gently
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
CowboysTilIDie wrote:
Seriously Slam? I haven't been here as long as some but I feel as though I've made enough contribution to voice my opinion that you are better than that post. Reading that was as bad as watching that game last night.

Sorry bro... you gotta keep that opinion to yourself for at least another 3 months. Please delete your post, rookie.

So I have to wait a certain time-frame to speak my opinions? Haha ok Mr. Lawyer man. I realize you believe you're God's gift to arguing and belittling people but keep those opinions to yourself for at least another...well, forever. For the record...not really a rookie. Been reading around here for 4 years and contributed for a while under a slightly different username before taking off from it for a long while. But hey, I appreciate the rude little quip.

Great... another premadonna rookie. Let me guess, you probably just expect everybody to vote you as rookie of the year in the next cowpokes???

Ok now I see the proverbial pulling of the chain by Slam. That one actually made me LOL.........

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: The Sky Is NOT falling... Review of First Quarter of Se Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
A poster yesterday posted this rant after the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wD-sRPcxXuM

I don't know who Shango is, but it appears that he is fairly popular among Cowboys fans. In this rant, he is clearly a member of the DCRA. He says all of the same things that many of us have been saying for a long time... You win in the trenches. Jerry Jones the GM is too busy looking for splash and flash that he ignores what matters most... dominating the offensive and defensive lines. Clearly, he paints a very doom and gloom portrait of the Cowboys' hopes this season.

This may sound strange coming from me, but I'm here to say that the sky is NOT falling. I'm sure this may come as a surprise to many of you. You may think that I or Plan9 take a secret joy in watching the Cowboys fail for all of the reasons we said they were going to fail. I can't speak for him, but I hate watching the Cowboys lose. So, I actually did a little research to prove to everyone that the sky is not falling...

Let's start with the offense...

The Dallas Cowboys rank in the top 2 teams in the NFL in offensive inefficiency. TOP 2!!! Clearly, when the only team better in the NFL at being inefficient is the Jacksonville Jaguars, the sky is NOT falling down. And, they only score .8 PPG less than the Cowboys. I don't want to get anybody's hopes up, but it's very possible we could be #1 by the end of the year.

There's more. The Cowboys rank #1 in the NFL in both INTs and TOs.

WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1

The Cowboys are also top 4 in the NFL in penalties.

When we compare these stats to last years stats, the improvement is obvious...

For example, last year, the cowboys only ranked 18th in offensive inefficiency. The Cowboys have gone from middle of the pack to clearly being one of the best offenses at being inefficient and the Cowboys average 7 PPG less than last year. #winning

Last year, Romo had a 102 QB rating, 31 TDs, 10 Ints, and 3 lost fumbles. Not bad if you are into that kinda stuff. This year, however, he has really elevated his level of inefficiency. In 4 games, he already has 8 INTs and 2 lost fumbles. And it shows up in his QB rating of 78.5. But for 4 rookie QBs, Romo could almost be top 5 in the NFL!!! I don't care who you are but that major improvement at being inefficient.

The running game is also holding it's own. The running game got off to kind of a rough start in week 1 but has really come into form the last 3 weeks.

For the season, Dallas is top 3 in rushing inefficiency with 67.8 ypa and an impressive 3.4 YPC. With the return of Rashard Mendenhall this week, it's very possible the Cowboys can challenge for #1.

By assembling an offense in the top 3 in rushing inefficiency, top 4 in penalties, and #1 in TOs, Jerry Jones has lived up to his promise of making the offense more Romo friendly. Kudos!!!

On to the defense...

All we've heard after the draft is that fixing the secondary was the top priority of the offseason. The Cowboys spent big money on a FA CB and used the top 2 draft picks for another CB. The results have really paid off. Dallas gives up the fewest passing yards per game in the NFL. Woo Hoo.

WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1 WE'RE #1

And, other teams average 22 PPG against the Cowboys which ranks 14th in the NFL. See last year, with trashy CBs, Dallas gave up 21.7 PPG. While it's close, we still improvement in giving up more PPG. Sure, some will say that the defense didn't give up a lot of points off turnovers. But, taking such a short sighted view would really be a disservice to Cowboys management who had the foresight to make the Cowboys offensive so Romo friendly this year. It's a yin/yang thing.

Let's not forget Special Teams...

Last year, Dallas was the 13th most inefficient team in kick returns. This year, the Cowboys are the 8th most inefficient team in kick returns. Last year, the Boys were the 5th most inefficient team in punt returns. This year we're 4th. #SteadyImprovement

See my friends, some people choose to look at the glass as half empty. Other choose to look at it as half full. Others still choose to drink down the Jerry Juice in the glass. The point is that the sky is not falling!!! technically, the sky would have to rise before it fall.

Fewer words of genius are more often spoken.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage Slam. When I stopped laughing I realized how sad the reality is for the Cowboys this year. Once again we have more questions than answers.
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're voting for Romney....I can feel it.

Thanks to SHSTE

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25584

When you're right, you're right.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:

WW...c'mon, we don't discuss politics.

^^^mack
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
WareWolf94 wrote:

I'm not discussing politics, I'm discussing the presidency.

Thanks to SHSTE

Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
WareWolf94 wrote:

I'm not discussing politics, I'm discussing the presidency.

Same thing.

^^^mack
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, this really wasn't clever, or needed.

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
WareWolf94

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flyingmonkey30 wrote:

Honestly, the attitude of this forum has gone from fans to constant complaints and moaning about the team. Thats why I check it once a week and rarely comment anymore.

I'm sick of dealing with it. I find that I enjoy the game much more when I'm not dealing with the people on here.

I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinion, but damn, enjoy the ride. We are 4 games into a 16 game season and we're already starting Free Agent threads and Draft threads. Get over it guys. Enjoy the Journey.

You are what your record is: 2-2. The talent is there. They need to execute. Its a correctable problem. 2-2 is not 0-4.

Saints fans are probably in greater spirits.

Thanks to SHSTE

Desperado82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:
I'm not saying you shouldn't voice your opinion, but damn, enjoy the ride. We are 4 games into a 16 game season and we're already starting Free Agent threads and Draft threads. Get over it guys. Enjoy the Journey.

You are what your record is: 2-2. The talent is there. They need to execute. Its a correctable problem. 2-2 is not 0-4.

For what it's worth, the draft thread was started before the season, and we normally always have one. The site is 'Footballs Future' after all. It's just to get an idea of who the top prospects are or might be, nothing wrong with that.

^^^mack
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:

Honestly, the attitude of this forum has gone from fans to constant complaints and moaning about the team. Thats why I check it once a week and rarely comment anymore.

I'm sick of dealing with it. I find that I enjoy the game much more when I'm not dealing with the people on here.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. I think the militant thought of having to agree with one thing - or the insentient hijacking of threads has really devalued the overall quality of posts here.

That said, I don't think there is anything wrong with speculating over the future. I would hope scouts are are currently doing exactly what we are - evaluating prospects, thinking abut FA, trying to see that the team extends just beyond this season.

I honestly don't care if people are in good spirits - or poor. I care that no thoughts or views are allowed to develop if one doesn't follow one particular set of thought.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
TheStarStillShines

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WareWolf94 wrote:
flyingmonkey30 wrote:

The Saints have a recent SB victory to console themselves. Really, what do Cowboys fans have to celebrate? It's difficult to be optimistic given the lack of success in almost 2 decades, and the same mistakes being repeated year after year.

That being said, I don't think everyone is being pessimistic. Rather, expectations are significantly reduced. Heck, I don't think people have very high expectations since we're all prepared for the possibility of being let down. Past experiences have that effect on people.

And finally, it's never a bad idea to look towards the future. As Des stated, we've had the Draft thread for years. I started this several years ago because the forum was being littered with college football game threads, threads on individual prospects, and mock drafts. Meanwhile, NFL football games were being ignored.

Every franchise and its fan base should look at possible players coming up in the draft no matter if they are contenders or pretenders. It's vital to look at the talent that could be available in order to improve the team and to guide the team in making personnel decisions, from the draft to FA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: