Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The OL: What is Working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: The OL: What is Working Reply with quote

I re-watched the 2nd half of the game because I wanted to see what was working and why we seemed to have a very good game on the OL.

Player by Player

LT J'Marcus Webb

There was two things that I saw from Webb that made him successful. The first was that he was finally using his long arms and a hand punch to keep the rushers off of his body and to slow down the bull rush. He did a much better job of protecting his chest from the rusher. Yes J'Marcus got a lot of help, but he did something that made that help worth while, he finished blocks when he was getting help. On the opening drive of the half Kyle Adams helps on Ware and he gets lifted and driven backwards, but Webb then drives Ware and Adams to the ground and we ave 15 yard completion. This was Webb's most physical game and while he his footwork still had issues he made up for it by punching. There were reps against guys not named Ware that he flat out dominated. On the crazy Kellen Davis catch he punches Ware and ends the rep dead. On the Marshall TD catch Ware comes inside and Webb crushes him into the pile.

LG Chil Rachal

The single biggest difference that I can see is the play of Chilo Rachal. To say that Rachal is more physical than Chris Spencer is the understatement of the year. Rachal is playing incredibly physical at the LG position. This is important for 2 reason. First, it does not allow teams to run games inside with blitzers and stunts like we saw in Green Bay. With how physical Louis and Rachal are we have a very firm pocket and we do not have the levels and lanes for blitzers to go through. Second, it protects Webb and allows him to block and worry less about the inside move. At one point Victor Butler [57] cuts inside on Webb and beats him but he runs into Rachal and the man he is blocking. Rachal has also brought some nasty and attitude to the field and I do not think it is a shock that all of a sudden Webb looks nastier. Dominated late when we were running the ball behind him. On the Kellen Davis circus catch he pancakes his guy into the ground. Jason Hatcher must hate Rachal because this is getting mean.

C Roberto Garza

I was not impressed with anything that Garza did physically and in the run game he is not doing a ton. But he seems to have everyone on the same page and he is able to pick up more stunts and blitzes in the passing game because he has two huge, physical OGs that are setting a pocket and allowing him to work.

RG Lance Louis

At times in the 2nd half he was downright dominant and he is just physical on every play right to the whistle. There were a number of plays when when he had Lissemore and Hatcher stuck on the line in passing plays simply winning 1 on 1 battles. He has a very strong hand punch that stuns defenders and again sets a firm pocket and allows the tackle to work inside out. He had a couple of issues with the backside cut off on run plays and I think we are better off running right and tacking advantage of his power. Was bull rushed by Ware a couple of times, but he had to give up the bull rush to take away the speed rush.

RT Gabe Carimi

After watching this game again I can say a couple of things. First, this was Gab Carimi's best game of the season and second, Carimi is not a LT. Carimi did a nice job of using his hands and long arms to fight rushers and slow the down, but his footwork left a lot to be desired at at times he struggled to keep his feet going and sustain blocks against rushers not named DeMarcus Ware. Gabe needs to continue to work his feet once he has locked on with his hands. On runs towards Carimi he does a nice job of controlling the man he is blocking and sustaining through the rep. Carimi needs to do a better job at the 2nd level of covering up the LB and sustaining the block a second sooner. On the 3rd and goal pass interference call Carimi punches Ware to the ground, it was awesome. I do not think that he has all the power back in his legs.

Game Plan

I thought the game plan was really good. In the passing game we did a nice job of chipping and bluffing the chip keeping the rushers looking over their shoulder for who was coming. We also used a lot of moving protections that had guys blocking down and over and to a degree surprising the rushers on who was sliding to get them.

In the run game we had some good moment in the power package, but we struggled to make backside cut offs and sustain at the 2nd level, which hurt us.
[/b]
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: The OL: What is Working Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I re-watched the 2nd half of the game because I wanted to see what was working and why we seemed to have a very good game on the OL.

Player by Player

LT J'Marcus Webb

There was two things that I saw from Webb that made him successful. The first was that he was finally using his long arms and a hand punch to keep the rushers off of his body and to slow down the bull rush. He did a much better job of protecting his chest from the rusher. Yes J'Marcus got a lot of help, but he did something that made that help worth while, he finished blocks when he was getting help. On the opening drive of the half Kyle Adams helps on Ware and he gets lifted and driven backwards, but Webb then drives Ware and Adams to the ground and we ave 15 yard completion. This was Webb's most physical game and while he his footwork still had issues he made up for it by punching. There were reps against guys not named Ware that he flat out dominated. On the crazy Kellen Davis catch he punches Ware and ends the rep dead. On the Marshall TD catch Ware comes inside and Webb crushes him into the pile.

LG Chil Rachal

The single biggest difference that I can see is the play of Chilo Rachal. To say that Rachal is more physical than Chris Spencer is the understatement of the year. Rachal is playing incredibly physical at the LG position. This is important for 2 reason. First, it does not allow teams to run games inside with blitzers and stunts like we saw in Green Bay. With how physical Louis and Rachal are we have a very firm pocket and we do not have the levels and lanes for blitzers to go through. Second, it protects Webb and allows him to block and worry less about the inside move. At one point Victor Butler [57] cuts inside on Webb and beats him but he runs into Rachal and the man he is blocking. Rachal has also brought some nasty and attitude to the field and I do not think it is a shock that all of a sudden Webb looks nastier. Dominated late when we were running the ball behind him. On the Kellen Davis circus catch he pancakes his guy into the ground. Jason Hatcher must hate Rachal because this is getting mean.

C Roberto Garza

I was not impressed with anything that Garza did physically and in the run game he is not doing a ton. But he seems to have everyone on the same page and he is able to pick up more stunts and blitzes in the passing game because he has two huge, physical OGs that are setting a pocket and allowing him to work.

RG Lance Louis

At times in the 2nd half he was downright dominant and he is just physical on every play right to the whistle. There were a number of plays when when he had Lissemore and Hatcher stuck on the line in passing plays simply winning 1 on 1 battles. He has a very strong hand punch that stuns defenders and again sets a firm pocket and allows the tackle to work inside out. He had a couple of issues with the backside cut off on run plays and I think we are better off running right and tacking advantage of his power. Was bull rushed by Ware a couple of times, but he had to give up the bull rush to take away the speed rush.

RT Gabe Carimi

After watching this game again I can say a couple of things. First, this was Gab Carimi's best game of the season and second, Carimi is not a LT. Carimi did a nice job of using his hands and long arms to fight rushers and slow the down, but his footwork left a lot to be desired at at times he struggled to keep his feet going and sustain blocks against rushers not named DeMarcus Ware. Gabe needs to continue to work his feet once he has locked on with his hands. On runs towards Carimi he does a nice job of controlling the man he is blocking and sustaining through the rep. Carimi needs to do a better job at the 2nd level of covering up the LB and sustaining the block a second sooner. On the 3rd and goal pass interference call Carimi punches Ware to the ground, it was awesome. I do not think that he has all the power back in his legs.

Game Plan

I thought the game plan was really good. In the passing game we did a nice job of chipping and bluffing the chip keeping the rushers looking over their shoulder for who was coming. We also used a lot of moving protections that had guys blocking down and over and to a degree surprising the rushers on who was sliding to get them.

In the run game we had some good moment in the power package, but we struggled to make backside cut offs and sustain at the 2nd level, which hurt us.
[/b]
Good stuff.
51to54

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Louis and Webb, I keep thinking back to Big Cat Williams who was a converted Dlineman. You find a guy with good physical skills and coach him up into a good Oline, hopefully, before your QB gets killed.

Webb did not have the luxury of being eased into the position like Louis did.

And another thing that is working is finally getting Chris Williams off of the field because it's become quite obvious that the reason he was tried at so many positions wasn't out of the need to fill a slot, but because he could play none of them well and the coaches were trying to salvage a blown first round pick.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams appears to be the worst pick of the Jerry Angelo era when you consider how high a pick it was and who was picked right around him.

I am not going to make excuses for Webb, even though there is a hung of talent there, because he should be better after 3 years then he is right now.

I do not think Webbs technique was 100% improved but what we saw was better hand use and more physicality and hustle out of him.

Louis has been bordering on dominant this year. I just wish we would run towards him more and not make him and Carimi always cut off the backside.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Carimi, he is essentially a rookie OT and he is not playing really well for a rookie OT he is also not playing all that poorly for a rookie OT.

He is playing exactly like a rookie tackle should.

His technique is solid, but he is working on the speed of the game and the power needed to run block at RT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: