Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT Wk 4: (1-2) Oakland Raiders @ (1-2) Denver Broncos
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizmo78 wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
On a side note, we are currently ranked 7th in terms of total defense. Except for a few 3rd and longs against Pitt and the safety miscommunication against the Texans, we have an improved unit after one quarter of the season. The only teams ahead of us are - in order - Hou, Sea, SF, Dal, Pitt, Phi.
Saw that and was impressed, all 4 teams we've played are talented on offense.

We do need to force more turnovers though. Can't be having Adams drop gifted INTs like that.

Our defense has been killin it so far... I love how JDR took a page out of Atlanta's book and had our defense standing up and walking around before the snap against Oakland. I hate when we just set up and play a normal defense, its too predictable... Agree that we need more turnovers but we've been real close. Maybe put the defense through a juggs machine drill once a week? who knows. Annoying though. One thing I hate is that JDR is probably gone after this year to a new HC job leaving us with a brand new defense/scheme/coordinator next year... Wish he would be a Lebeau (sp?) and stay there forever.

Since Elway, Fox and Manning have given Denver a lot of appeal lately, I bet we could nab former HCs for our DC spot in case JDR leaves after this year. Perhaps Schwartz or Rex Ryan.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing about the defense is you see the defense playing much better in the 2nd half, JDR has made great 2nd half adjustments thus far.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Since Elway, Fox and Manning have given Denver a lot of appeal lately, I bet we could nab former HCs for our DC spot in case JDR leaves after this year. Perhaps Schwartz or Rex Ryan.

Yeah I was just actually wondering who our next Defense Against the Dark Arts professor would be. The former HC route seems to be a good idea but I don't think Schwartz or Ryan will get the boot this year, unless they really tank.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyj20 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:

Yeah I was just actually wondering who our next Defense Against the Dark Arts professor would be. The former HC route seems to be a good idea but I don't think Schwartz or Ryan will get the boot this year, unless they really tank.

If last Sunday's game was any indication of the Jets' season without Revis, they could very well be in the tank...

With that said, how would Rex Ryan's personality, and more importantly scheme, fit in with what Denver has?
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibdib31 wrote:
With that said, how would Rex Ryan's personality, and more importantly scheme, fit in with what Denver has?

Oh I'm sure Ryan would love Von Miller and Champ Bailey.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
hibdib31 wrote:

Oh I'm sure Ryan would love Von Miller and Champ Bailey.

Ryan runs a hybrid D, am I right? Somehow I have the impression we are speaking of a 3-4 Jets defense in context of Ryan. And the latter wouldn't be all too fitting.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Ryan runs a hybrid D, am I right? Somehow I have the impression we are speaking of a 3-4 Jets defense in context of Ryan. And the latter wouldn't be all too fitting.

Ryan does a lot of things yes, but his defense is basically a more aggressive version of the 3-4.

The only issue I would have with the 3-4 is neither Von Miller or Elvis Dumervil are particularly good in coverage and Rex Ryan usually has one guy at OLB who can cover a tad. And that's literally nitpicking on my part, honestly I think most of our players would fit fine in a Rex Ryan 3-4.

Vickerson could penetrate and attack just like Muhammad Wilkerson does, Bannan has played in the defense before at multiple positions. Wolfe would be a perfect fit at Defensive End.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:

Ryan does a lot of things yes, but his defense is basically a more aggressive version of the 3-4.

The only issue I would have with the 3-4 is neither Von Miller or Elvis Dumervil are particularly good in coverage and Rex Ryan usually has one guy at OLB who can cover a tad. And that's literally nitpicking on my part, honestly I think most of our players would fit fine in a Rex Ryan 3-4.

Vickerson could penetrate and attack just like Muhammad Wilkerson does, Bannan has played in the defense before at multiple positions. Wolfe would be a perfect fit at Defensive End.

Well, there we go then. Ryan should be on top of our emergency plan list if Del Rio doesn't stay.

WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st qtr all 22 notes :-

* How strange that AKRNA had mentioned a lack of trap blocking, and on the 1st play of this game we actually used a trap block! Although in this instance we used it during Play Action. Zane Beadles pulled from LG to block LE Lamar Houston, obviously as a ploy to bait the Defense into thinking run. From a protection standpoint, it worked perfectly (incomplete pass after a poor throw by Manning; Dreessen beat Wheeler).

* We used Joel Dreessen as a H-Back on one play on the 1st drive, but he was blocking the backside DE (Houston again) on a sweep run to the left of our formation.

* To be fair to Peyton, the dropped INT on our 1st drive was open until Dreessen and Thomas collided. Dreessen got re-routed by a physical Wheeler, although Dreessen had actually beaten him. Didn't help that Desmond Bryant beat Zane Beadles instantly.

* Our first time in the Nickel Defense saw Trevathan joining WW as the 2 LB's.

* Our second time in the Nickel sees the same on 3rd and 5, with Ayers coming in to partner Wolfe at DT. Nice push by Ayers too.

* 3rd and 1 (that we converted) on our 2nd drive, and Orlando Franklin concedes a hit to Manning. Both the LE and SLB are blitzing from our right. Lance Ball picks up the SLB but for some reason Franklin decides to double the DT rather than picking the LE. To be honest, Franklin looked utterly lost on the play.

* Poor ball location by Manning on that throw to McGahee near the goal line. If that ball is in front of him, that is probably 6.

* Loved the play design by JDR when the Raiders were 3rd and 13. From a personnel standpoint our formation is a 3-1-7, but we basically lineup presnap with a normal Nickel look but with all of our 'Defensive Lineman' stood up. But get this - David Bruton is stood up at RE, Von Miller and Rob Ayers at DT with Elvis at LE. WW and Mike Adams are the LB's, with Jim Leonhard creeping up as the 'in the box' Safety, Rahim Moore as the single high Safety, Chris Harris in the slot, Porter at RCB and Bailey at LCB.

The Raiders have 2 WR's to the left of the formation, with a TE (Ausberry) inline on the left, inline on the right (Myers) with another WR outside on the right of the formation. The entire formation we show is to give Chris Harris a hit on the QB. David Bruton intentionally runs a wide arc, taking LT (Veldheer) really wide. Von Miller takes the LG inside from the get go, but then also spins inside to not only take the LG inside, but to also engage the Center. This leaves a hole wider than Jenna Jameson's private thing inbetween the LT and LG. Harris blitzes straight through the gap for a hit on Palmer within 1.5 seconds of the ball being snapped. Sure, had Palmer evaded the hit (he threw ball into his LT) then he would have had a WR open to the left. But the routes were developing ones, not quick hitting routes because Palmer didn't read blitz at all. Great play design, great execution and great disguise.

(This was actually at the start of the 2nd quarter)

MUFC OK
AKRNA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
1st qtr all 22 notes :-

* How strange that AKRNA had mentioned a lack of trap blocking, and on the 1st play of this game we actually used a trap block! Although in this instance we used it during Play Action. Zane Beadles pulled from LG to block LE Lamar Houston, obviously as a ploy to bait the Defense into thinking run. From a protection standpoint, it worked perfectly (incomplete pass after a poor throw by Manning; Dreessen beat Wheeler).

* We used Joel Dreessen as a H-Back on one play on the 1st drive, but he was blocking the backside DE (Houston again) on a sweep run to the left of our formation.

* To be fair to Peyton, the dropped INT on our 1st drive was open until Dreessen and Thomas collided. Dreessen got re-routed by a physical Wheeler, although Dreessen had actually beaten him. Didn't help that Desmond Bryant beat Zane Beadles instantly.

* Our first time in the Nickel Defense saw Trevathan joining WW as the 2 LB's.

* Our second time in the Nickel sees the same on 3rd and 5, with Ayers coming in to partner Wolfe at DT. Nice push by Ayers too.

* 3rd and 1 (that we converted) on our 2nd drive, and Orlando Franklin concedes a hit to Manning. Both the LE and SLB are blitzing from our right. Lance Ball picks up the SLB but for some reason Franklin decides to double the DT rather than picking the LE. To be honest, Franklin looked utterly lost on the play.

* Poor ball location by Manning on that throw to McGahee near the goal line. If that ball is in front of him, that is probably 6.

* Loved the play design by JDR when the Raiders were 3rd and 13. From a personnel standpoint our formation is a 3-1-7, but we basically lineup presnap with a normal Nickel look but with all of our 'Defensive Lineman' stood up. But get this - David Bruton is stood up at RE, Von Miller and Rob Ayers at DT with Elvis at LE. WW and Mike Adams are the LB's, with Jim Leonhard creeping up as the 'in the box' Safety, Rahim Moore as the single high Safety, Chris Harris in the slot, Porter at RCB and Bailey at LCB.

The Raiders have 2 WR's to the left of the formation, with a TE (Ausberry) inline on the left, inline on the right (Myers) with another WR outside on the right of the formation. The entire formation we show is to give Chris Harris a hit on the QB. David Bruton intentionally runs a wide arc, taking LT (Veldheer) really wide. Von Miller takes the LG inside from the get go, but then also spins inside to not only take the LG inside, but to also engage the Center. This leaves a hole wider than Jenna Jameson's private thing inbetween the LT and LG. Harris blitzes straight through the gap for a hit on Palmer within 1.5 seconds of the ball being snapped. Sure, had Palmer evaded the hit (he threw ball into his LT) then he would have had a WR open to the left. But the routes were developing ones, not quick hitting routes because Palmer didn't read blitz at all. Great play design, great execution and great disguise.

(This was actually at the start of the 2nd quarter)

Good stuff lomax. Didn't see the game, and won't see another for 6-8 weeks. My game sources will be a terribly slow internet and input from you guys.

Thanx for the detail. I do appreciate it.
PackAtBroncos07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
our formation is a 3-1-7, but we basically lineup presnap with a normal Nickel look but with all of our 'Defensive Lineman' stood up. But get this - David Bruton is stood up at RE, Von Miller and Rob Ayers at DT with Elvis at LE. WW and Mike Adams are the LB's, with Jim Leonhard creeping up as the 'in the box' Safety, Rahim Moore as the single high Safety, Chris Harris in the slot, Porter at RCB and Bailey at LCB.

The baddest formation I have ever heard of around here.
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd quarter :-

* Joel Dreessen can block LB's on the 2nd level and at the LOS, but Dave Tolleson (sp) owned him when Joel was asked to block him 1v1 early in the 2nd.

* Thomas made a mess of that fumble, but credit Houston for recovering the fumble. He started at LE (opposite side of the play) and had he not got down field with the play, Tamme would have recovered. He also showed good hands to snatch it first time whilst diving forward ...

* On that TFL by Wolfe (nearly a Safety) he was left 1v1 with Brandon Myers (a TE). He was simply too strong for him, but credit Vickerson for taking on a double team and not allowing a cut back lane.

* I am not anywhere near as down on Beadles as a lot of people, and I know he isn't the only Guard in the NFL guilty of this, but when the situation is 3rd and 1 you just can't power a run behind him. We tried this and Richard Seymour had Beadles 3 yards in the backfield before McGahee had even taken the hand off. Luckily Willis made a play, but still - we just can't be calling power running plays like that on 3rd and 1. Credit to Ramirez and Franklin for blocking the play out, allowing Willis to cut it back.

* One of Von Miller's best traits in the run game is his ability to stay on his feet when people try cutting him. On a zone stretch play to the left with around 4 mins to go in the half, Marcel Reece tries cutting him and Von shoves him to the floor then makes the play on McFadden for a 1 yard gain. Textbook stuff.

* Champ has shown his respect to Denarius Moore for a lot of this game. Moore then lines up against Porter, and Porter doesn't back off. The result is a great throw and catch by Palmer and Moore for a big gain. Perfect throw against pretty tight coverage.

* Mike Adams playing man coverage on a TE (Ausberry) again, this time in the redzone. Good coverage to force an incompletion, but the route was a poor one.

MUFC OK
elliot878

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:

Agree with everything here. Also Rex Ryan is definitely on thin ice, and its starting to show as he didn't seem his normal cocky self in his Wednesday presser. The NY sports media is all over the Jets, and Ryan right now.

I'd love it if he came here. His personality would be a non-issue as he wouldn't be the face of a franchise like he is in New York. Fox and Elway could censor him a bit. Rexys fatal flaw is that he digs himself a hole every year with his "best team I've ever coached, anything less than a Super Bowl is a failure" spiel that he does every year during training camp. NY sports fans hang on every word their coaches say, and they hold them to it when they don't make their promises come true. Rex never had a shot with the group he has in NY, even before the injuries. His mouth writes checks he can't cash basically.

I'd love to see the Rex Ryan defense with some talented pass rushers like we have here in Denver.

More on topic... where's this weeks gameday thread? We won on Sunday so Lomax needs to make the next one, as he's got the hot hand. Oh and make sure to include an embarrassing pic of some Pats fans like you did to the black hole bums in this gdt.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:

Alternatively, the Raiders could have just adjusted their protection and left in a Tight End to block(they had a 2 tight end, 3 wide receiver personnel grouping) which could have allowed them an extra man for blitzers(which were pretty obviously coming). But the Raiders are just not a smart team, and one can't expect much different with Carson Palmer at Quarterback.
AKRNA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
2nd quarter :-

* Joel Dreessen can block LB's on the 2nd level and at the LOS, but Dave Tolleson (sp) owned him when Joel was asked to block him 1v1 early in the 2nd.

* Thomas made a mess of that fumble, but credit Houston for recovering the fumble. He started at LE (opposite side of the play) and had he not got down field with the play, Tamme would have recovered. He also showed good hands to snatch it first time whilst diving forward ...

* On that TFL by Wolfe (nearly a Safety) he was left 1v1 with Brandon Myers (a TE). He was simply too strong for him, but credit Vickerson for taking on a double team and not allowing a cut back lane.

* I am not anywhere near as down on Beadles as a lot of people, and I know he isn't the only Guard in the NFL guilty of this, but when the situation is 3rd and 1 you just can't power a run behind him. We tried this and Richard Seymour had Beadles 3 yards in the backfield before McGahee had even taken the hand off. Luckily Willis made a play, but still - we just can't be calling power running plays like that on 3rd and 1. Credit to Ramirez and Franklin for blocking the play out, allowing Willis to cut it back.

* One of Von Miller's best traits in the run game is his ability to stay on his feet when people try cutting him. On a zone stretch play to the left with around 4 mins to go in the half, Marcel Reece tries cutting him and Von shoves him to the floor then makes the play on McFadden for a 1 yard gain. Textbook stuff.

* Champ has shown his respect to Denarius Moore for a lot of this game. Moore then lines up against Porter, and Porter doesn't back off. The result is a great throw and catch by Palmer and Moore for a big gain. Perfect throw against pretty tight coverage.

* Mike Adams playing man coverage on a TE (Ausberry) again, this time in the redzone. Good coverage to force an incompletion, but the route was a poor one.

Got a question for you lomax. I saw a stat yesterday on ESPN that PM's average pass in that game traveled only 4.4 yds past the los. His career average is over 7.

Did it look like we game planned it that way or was it just what the Raiders gave us?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19

Jump to: