Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

4 major cable/broadband providers to enter cloud gaming

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Madden 15 and video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: 4 major cable/broadband providers to enter cloud gaming Reply with quote

http://www.gamespot.com/news/cable-providers-to-offer-cloud-gaming-report-6397115

Quote:
Traditional console makers like Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo may soon face new competition, and not from a nascent startup, but rather deep-pocketed and established companies. Bloomberg reports that cable service providers AT&T, Verizon, Time Warner, and Comcast are planning to enter the cloud-gaming space, debuting their services as early as next year.

Quote:
Games provided through these carriers will be deeper than social and casual games, these people said, extending to "advanced" action games, including titles from publishers like Electronic Arts.

Okay, THIS I could actually see seriously challenging console gaming. These are already all broadband service providers that can build these services directly for their own connections to maximize potential and minimize lag.

If it's how I imagine it being I could see a serious threat here, I would imagine this type of thing would be another option for the bundles each company offers...if you could pay a flat rate for unlimited access to their gaming library over paying individually for every game you want to play obviously it's going to be very tempting.

It is of course extremely dependent on their abilities to land the partnerships with major gaming companies and offer a solid library but if either of them can pull it off the next generation of console gaming could be in trouble...

On a side note I can't help but see this as a complete stab in the back to Microsoft specifically...they have contracts through some of these companies for partnerships with Xbox Live...now they are going to try to directly compete against them in gaming? Talk about really turning the tide...I wonder if this would have an effect on their willingness to partner with Microsoft? If they are entering the gaming world themselves they may not want any of their services available on consoles any longer...

2014 AAL: DE Larry Webster III

Stats: N/A

2014 AAL: DE George Johnson

Tackles: 10, TFL: 2, Sacks: 1.5
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be interested to see how this all turns out.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
General_Bean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 4 major cable/broadband providers to enter cloud gaming Reply with quote

rob_shadows wrote:

Quote:
Games provided through these carriers will be deeper than social and casual games, these people said, extending to "advanced" action games, including titles from publishers like Electronic Arts.

I was really interested in this article as I would love more competition in the gaming industry, until I read their library selling point is EA. Nothing "Advanced" comes from EA. At least recently (Like 8 years)

I would say "All joking aside", but I'm serious EA is a joke of a gaming company.

But this is a good thing. Competition brings out great ideas for the industry, but i do worry with big pocket markets and the quality they put out with games. What I'm hoping for is they want to make a big impression early on and make some great platform titles (I believe for a great system, they need a poster boy). Although, thinking about it, If they all make platformers, then It'll be hard for the normal person to own each and every system. Making new system day a tougher purchase.

As long as Cox Communications doesnt make one. I wont buy it
rob_shadows

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 major cable/broadband providers to enter cloud gaming Reply with quote

General_Bean wrote:
rob_shadows wrote:

Quote:

I was really interested in this article as I would love more competition in the gaming industry, until I read their library selling point is EA. Nothing "Advanced" comes from EA. At least recently (Like 8 years)

I would say "All joking aside", but I'm serious EA is a joke of a gaming company.

But this is a good thing. Competition brings out great ideas for the industry, but i do worry with big pocket markets and the quality they put out with games. What I'm hoping for is they want to make a big impression early on and make some great platform titles (I believe for a great system, they need a poster boy). Although, thinking about it, If they all make platformers, then It'll be hard for the normal person to own each and every system. Making new system day a tougher purchase.

As long as Cox Communications doesnt make one. I wont buy it

You do realize that "EA" means a hell of a lot more than just Madden right? I really don't understand where all the hate for EA comes from.

Here are some studios that are part of EA (not "partners" they are OWNED by EA)

Bioware (Mass Effect series, Dragon Age series)
Visceral Games (The Godfather series, Dead Space series)
Maxis (Sim City series, The Sims series)
Digital Illusions (Battlefield series, Mirrors Edge)
Criterion Games (Burnout series, taking over Need for Speed series)

Hell even EA Sports gets a bad wrap due to the NFL and NBA games but folks forget they are also responsible for the FIFA and NHL series as well as Fight Night and SSX.

Not to mention games they hold publishing and/or distribution rights to (the two biggest being the Crysis series and the Rock Band series).

EA has consistently rated Number 1 among 3rd party publishers on Metacritic and remains number 1 right now. The only 3 publishers ranked higher are the big 3 first party publishers (Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.)

So yeah...I'd say using EA as a selling point is a pretty good idea.

And besides it didn't say just "Electronic Arts" it said "Publishers like Electronic Arts" indicating there were other major publishers involved as well.

P.S. EA also owns PopCap games and I mean...come on...who doesn't want to play feeding frenzy on their TV? Very Happy

EDIT:

Wait...is there are console version of feeding frenzy?...idk...but if not! think about it! lol.

2014 AAL: DE Larry Webster III

Stats: N/A

2014 AAL: DE George Johnson

Tackles: 10, TFL: 2, Sacks: 1.5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Madden 15 and video games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: