Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Positional Grades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTOW

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Positional Grades Reply with quote

QB: C+ Stafford isn't costing us games but he isn't winning them either. Hopefully he gets a little bit more aggressive, primarily in getting the ball to CJ. Needs to get the ball in the endzone.

RB: B I think we have a good one in Leshoure but as Schwartz said in the presser, we need more big plays. Leshoure certainly has the burst/power mix that our other backs don't possess. I think we will see continual improvement in him throughout the year.

WR: C CJ has had a couple decent games but has definetly underwhelmed thus far and I'm sure he would be the first to admit it. Burleson has been decent and made a few catches. Titus has been terribly disappointing, borderline invisible. Broyles hasn't seen the field much. Way to many dropped passes.

TE: D Much like the rest of the offense its been pretty poor. Pettigrew has way to many drops. He needs to get his head right during the bye.

OL: C Backus has been what we expect. Haven't really noticed Sims, which is usually a good thing with lineman. Dom and Peterman have been bad and one, if not both, will probably be replaced after this year. I really think Gosder is adequate. He is replaceable but not what I would consider a priority by any means. Reiff to RG? Reiff to LT Backus to RG?

DL: C Our ends have been mostly underwhelming. Vanden Bosch doesn't have a whole lot left. Avril has proved Mayhew right so far. Interior has been blah, definitely not meeting expectations.

LB: B Honestly, one of the only bright spots in my opinion. I've been on Levy's back for awhile but he is proving me wrong so far this year. Durant has made a few nice plays. Tulloch just goes about getting his tackles.

CB: D Houston is solid. Bentley is going through rookie pains. Hes had some PI but looks like he has potential. Everyone else is hurt or pretty much just stinks. Xavier Rhodes Pray

S: F Honestly, we might have had the worst safety play in the league through the first 4 weeks. Terrible tackling, terrible coverage skills, always out of position. We need Delmas back and have to find a good safety in either the draft or free agency. Eric Reid Pray

Special Teams: F- Needs no explanation.

Its been a weird season thus far. We should be 3-1 if we play anything resembling good football but at the same time we came dang close to going 0-4 to start the year. Hopefully they come out ticked off against Philly after the bye.
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Positional Grades Reply with quote

DTOW wrote:
S: F Honestly, we might have had the worst safety play in the league through the first 4 weeks. Terrible tackling, terrible coverage skills, always out of position. We need Delmas back and have to find a good safety in either the draft or free agency. Eric Reid Pray

Bright side is that the safety class in 2013 is pretty deep. I'm hoping for 1 (if not 2) of the following: Eric Reid, Kenny Vaccaro, TJ McDonald, Baccari Rambo, Robert Lester, Matt Elam, or Tony Jefferson.
detfan782004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
QB: C+ Stafford isn't costing us games but he isn't winning them either. Hopefully he gets a little bit more aggressive, primarily in getting the ball to CJ. Needs to get the ball in the endzone.

Nope he only won them the only game they won.

Taking team down in under 2 minutes for game winning td

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Quote:

His few mistakes that game directly translated to points for the other team, including a INT-TD. I'm glad he did it, but throwing for 7, and giving away 7, is the definition of "isn't costing us games but isn't winning them either".

Team Stylish
Jrugges

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

detfan782004 wrote:
Quote:

He almost lost them that game too...
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB: C+ for me. Stafford's efficiency numbers aren't looking too hot, but his completion percentage is looking good and it's tough to say he hasn't suffered from receivers dropping a few critical passes. But we're not just grading Stafford here. Shaun Hill looked very good when he had to come in at the end of the Titans game, and I'd say 7 TDs and 4 INTs from our QBs through four weeks is acceptable. We lead the league in passing yardage, but again that's largely because we lead the league in passing attempts.

RB: C. Kevin Smith had a good week one before a rough week 2 against an elite defense, then disappearing entirely once Leshoure came back. Mikel has looked good. I'm going to excuse his poor performance against the Vikings as he was getting hit in the backfield with regularity, which falls on the o-line. Joique Bell has been a pleasant surprise. He's no bell cow, but he looks good in the role that used to be played by Maurice Morris. Keiland Williams has been a nonfactor.

OL: C-. Our pass protection was good against the Rams, 49ers, and Titans. We surrendered five sacks to the Vikings, but 2-3 of them were coverage sacks in my estimation. I think our pass blocking has been better than average as a whole. That said, the run blocking has left a lot to be desired. Our backs are getting hit in the backfield too much or having to bounce outside because the defense flat-out collapses the run lanes.

TE: C. Pettigrew has his drops, sure, and that strip-fumble was embarrassing no matter how surprising Verner's blindside strip attempt was. He is still on pace for over 90 catches and nearly 900 yards, which would be a career year for him, and I expect his drops will probably even out over the course of the year. Even Tony Scheffler has had one or two drops. I think overall this is one of our better positions, but we're off to a rough start here. That said, our TEs are still on pace for 132 catches and over 1,200 yards. That's pretty impressive.

WR: C. I think we've been very disappointing here considering our WR corps should be amongst the best in the NFL. Calvin Johnson is nearly leading the league in receiving yardage again, but one TD through four games (essentially a garbage time TD, before a very lucky hail Mary made it relevant) is very disappointing for a guy that had 8 TDs through 4 games last year. His trademark big plays have been notoriously absent, either because Stafford can't get him an accurate deep ball or because defenses are effectively taking it away from him. Burleson I think is the only WR that's really meeting/surpassing expectations. He's yet to have a big game, but he has been very consistent. Titus Young has been massively disappointing given many of us were expecting a breakout year from him. Other than his miracle hail Mary catch, Young has 8 catches for 71 yards through four games. Unacceptable. Ryan Broyles can't even get on the field, although that was largely to be expected.

Offense: C-. Moving the ball hasn't been a problem whatsoever; the Lions currently possess the NFL's 6th overall offense in terms of yards per game. But we still can't run the ball effectively, and in particular we've struggled to score TDs. The Lions still have the NFL's 14th-best scoring offense, but it's difficult for me to grade them above-average because of their repeated miscues.

DL: C. I think our tackles are playing well. The ends have been disappointing, but I'm not ready to purge them all like some on this forum has. Suh is very quietly on pace for 10 sacks again and he has made plays in the running game, although several of his plays have been made in situations where the offense is then able to make up for them. Corey Williams missing games is going to hurt this unit. He's quietly a very good player. Fairley really needs to get moving; aside from a sack on opening day, he's been invisible.

LB: B. Levy has missed a couple of tackles, but he's also make a couple of really nice plays. Tulloch is having a really nice looking season so far, and he's showing that his improved coverage last season was no fluke (he has 3 pass defenses already). Durant is the same as ever--very solid in the run game, good two-down LB. The backups worry me tremendously. If we have to start a fourth linebacker, I think we've got a serious problem.

CB: F. The unit has suffered three injuries that have hampered them, but even still, this isn't an NFL-caliber secondary. Chris Houston is about the only trustworthy CB we have, and he's still just an average-to-mediocre #1. Bill Bentley has looked terrible as far as I'm concerned. Drayton Florence would be decent depth, but he's on IR. Jacob Lacey has missed a lot of tackles for a guy that was advertised as a solid tackling corner, and Jonté Green is probably the 53rd man on the roster right now (which is quite an indictment). This corps is a joke.

S: F. Coleman is okay, but still definitively average. Wendling has been terrible, and the team is now down to starting Ricardo Silva at one safety spot. Though we haven't seen much of him, there's a good reason he failed to make the 53-man roster out of training camp. It makes me wonder what ever happened to Spievey--but then again, I remember he's not very good either, and has been relegated mostly to special teams for good reason. We need Delmas back in a bad way.

Defense: D. Giving up almost 400 yards to Jake Locker is inexcusable. The defense played decently well against St. Louis, but since then they've been pummeled by the likes of Alex Smith and Jake Locker, while allowing Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson to grind yardage against us with ease. There are some bright spots, but they're few and far between. Even if the front seven can play up to its potential, it might not matter as long as our secondary remains the NFL's worst.

K: B+ Hanson has been good on field goals (although he's been called-on too many times for anyone's liking). His kickoffs haven't been very good. We need him to just boot it out of the end zone every time and it doesn't seem he's got the leg to do it anymore.

P: D Ben Graham wasn't kicking very well for two weeks, and Nick Harris doesn't seem like a better prospect. I know most of the blame for our ST TDs has to fall on our coverage units, but our hang time and placement leaves a lot to be desired.

Coverage units: F. Seriously, we're going to give up 10+ return TDs this year if they don't fix it. It's embarrassing. Detroit's special teams have been a joke since Chuck Priefer called it quits.

Returns: B-. Logan is such a lightning rod for criticism . . . I don't really get it. He has a nice 40 yard KR under his belt and is averaging 11 yards per punt return this year. The fact that he takes a knee often isn't really a problem; it's because other teams kick it to the back of the end zone where taking a knee is the correct play unless you're in super desperation mode (which the Lions haven't really been in all year, despite their record).

Special Teams: D-. Hanson is great, and that's the only reason this unit doesn't get an F. The ability to score from 50 yards out with regularity is a big deal when the offense has been as sluggish as it has so far this year. That said, the punt team and kickoff coverage units have had a very direct hand in our last two losses and they are, by far, the biggest issue with this team right now.

The Detroit Lions: D+. Seriously this team is capable of beating anyone in the league if they play up to snuff, but they are playing like garbage right now and that needs to change.

If what they say about breaking the season up into quarters is legit, we need to make a quantum leap for the next quarter, not just a marginal improvement. Unfortunately, our schedule gets tough right now--our next three opponents are @ Philadelphia, @ Chicago, and at home against a suddenly dangerous Seattle team. I hate to say it, but coming out of that stretch 1-6 or 2-5 looks a lot more likely to me than coming out 3-4 or 4-3. This team has too much catching up to do and have already lost two of the easier games on their schedule. I think we'll be finishing 5-11 or 6-10.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
Big Cat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you guys re vastly underating our OL. just ask K Kolb.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
QB: C+ for me. Stafford's efficiency numbers aren't looking too hot, but his completion percentage is looking good and it's tough to say he hasn't suffered from receivers dropping a few critical passes. But we're not just grading Stafford here. Shaun Hill looked very good when he had to come in at the end of the Titans game, and I'd say 7 TDs and 4 INTs from our QBs through four weeks is acceptable. We lead the league in passing yardage, but again that's largely because we lead the league in passing attempts.

Stafford has three TD passes and Hill has two so your total is off.

Hill's numbers have really boosted the teams passing numbers. His relief performance against the Titans was impressive. 10/13, 172 yards, 76.9%, 2 TD 0 int's. 13.3 yard average and a 157.9 QB rating.

I agree with your comments about passing yardage. They throw the ball so much it would be terrible if they weren't leading. When you see they're 16th in yards per attempt it brings those numbers back to earth. They're also tied for 16th in passing TD's and 16th in QB rating.

Taking all the stats into perspective the Lions passing game is very average and for a team that depends so heavily on the pass that's bad news.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safety is easily our biggest need, and I've felt that way since before this years draft.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: