Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Calvin Johnson Will Not Even Come Close to Jerry Rice.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmerigoCorleone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Calvin Johnson Will Not Even Come Close to Jerry Rice. Reply with quote

I hear everywhere that Calvin Johnson could surpass Jerry Rice's statistics. To those that say this, you're not paying attention to the numbers.

AmerigoCorleone wrote:
Jerry Rice:

Receptions: 1549 (5.1)
Yards: 22895 (75.6)
Touchdowns: 197 (0.65)

Calvin Johnson:

Receptions: 366 (4.8)
Yards: 5872 (77.3)
Touchdowns: 49 (0.65)

For Calvin Johnson to match Jerry Rice in yards and touchdowns he would need to average 1309.4 yards and 11.4 touchdowns for 13 more seasons.

There's now way that Calvin Johnson even comes close to those numbers.

Last edited by AmerigoCorleone on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is to surpass Rice's bulk stats, I think Larry Fitzgerald will be in a better position. Fitz is only two years older than Johnson, but Fitz has 320 more catches, 25 more TDs and over 3000 more yards.

Fitz is the one we should keep an eye on, not Johnson. If Fitz can get better QB play the rest of his career and show the longevity to play until he is 38 or 39, I think Fitz has great potential to get very close to Rice's number.
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What everyone loses sight of is how much CJ depends on his physical skills to be the WR he is. I'm not trying to say he's just an athlete. He is a good technically too but not anywhere even close to Rice. Sure Calvin will have many more good years as he enters his golden years but I think once he gets to 31-33 he will start to lose some of the that speed and overall physical dominance he has and his #s will slow. This isn't a post to bash CJ, its just how I see things playing out. Calvin won't ever pass Rice at all.

Last edited by ArodFanboy on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
AmerigoCorleone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
If anyone is to surpass Rice's bulk stats, I think Larry Fitzgerald will be in a better position. Fitz is only two years older than Johnson, but Fitz has 320 more catches, 25 more TDs and over 3000 more yards.

Fitz is the one we should keep an eye on, not Johnson. If Fitz can get better QB play the rest of his career and show the longevity to play until he is 38 or 39, I think Fitz has great potential to get very close to Rice's number.

Larry Fitzgerald would need to average 86 receptions, 1330 yards and 12.6 touchdowns for the next 10 seasons to surpass Jerry Rice's statistics.

But I see what you're saying. Larry Fitzgerald might end up with better career numbers than Calvin Johnson.
BLick12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmerigoCorleone wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Larry Fitzgerald would need to average 86 receptions, 1330 yards and 12.6 touchdowns for the next 10 seasons to surpass Jerry Rice's statistics.

But I see what you're saying. Larry Fitzgerald might end up with better career numbers than Calvin Johnson.

He will. Larry Fitz's game is a lot less predicated on athleticism. Yes, he can jump high but he isn't particularly fast to begin with and his hands aren't going to suddenly drop off. Easily the softest hands in the NFL, runs great routes and knows how to use his body.

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
jargin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Even Come Close to Jerry Rice. Reply with quote

AmerigoCorleone wrote:
I hear everywhere that Calvin Johnson could surpass Jerry Rice's statistics. To those that say this, you're not paying attention to the numbers.

AmerigoCorleone wrote:
Jerry Rice:

Receptions: 1549 (5.1)
Yards: 22895 (75.6)
Touchdowns: 197 (0.65)

Calvin Johnson:

Receptions: 366 (4.Cool
Yards: 5872 (77.3)
Touchdowns: 49 (0.65)

For Calvin Johnson to match Jerry Rice in yards and touchdowns he would need to average 1309.4 yards and 11.4 touchdowns for 13 more seasons.

There's now way that Calvin Johnson even comes close to those numbers.
You act as if surpassing his stats are the only thing that would define him as a better player. I think if Calvin can demonstrate his dominance in scoring TD's each year and show that he simply cannot be covered 1 on 1 then there is little doubt that he is one of the greatest to ever play. I mean, if you had to chose right now to put a player on the Browns to make them better, would it be Rice or Johnson? Its a difficult question because they played in different eras. I think Rice will be forever know as the one of the football players with the most longevity along with Favre, Emmit Smith and Ray Lewis. I'm not suggesting Calvin is better than Rice right now or that when his career is done that anyone will say he is the greatest, I just think that comparing stats at this point and saying Calvin will never be better is somewhat stupid.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
renndawg37

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
AmerigoCorleone wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

He will. Larry Fitz's game is a lot less predicated on athleticism. Yes, he can jump high but he isn't particularly fast to begin with and his hands aren't going to suddenly drop off. Easily the softest hands in the NFL, runs great routes and knows how to use his body.

I still think Fitzgerald is a better receiver than Johnson. It may be an unpopular opinion, but nobody can tell me otherwise. Fitz is the man.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:

Fitz ain't doin' it either sorry.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
BLick12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renndawg37 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
AmerigoCorleone wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I still think Fitzgerald is a better receiver than Johnson. It may be an unpopular opinion, but nobody can tell me otherwise. Fitz is the man.

I share that same opinion and the numbers back it up.

AmerigoCorleone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Even Come Close to Jerry Rice. Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
You act as if surpassing his stats are the only thing that would define him as a better player. I think if Calvin can demonstrate his dominance in scoring TD's each year and show that he simply cannot be covered 1 on 1 then there is little doubt that he is one of the greatest to ever play. I mean, if you had to chose right now to put a player on the Browns to make them better, would it be Rice or Johnson? Its a difficult question because they played in different eras. I think Rice will be forever know as the one of the football players with the most longevity along with Favre, Emmit Smith and Ray Lewis. I'm not suggesting Calvin is better than Rice right now or that when his career is done that anyone will say he is the greatest, I just think that comparing stats at this point and saying Calvin will never be better is somewhat stupid.

These are Jerry Rice's statistics from 1986 to 1996.

Yards: 15450 (89.8)
Touchdowns: 160 (0.93)
Receptions: 1001 (5.8)

Calvin Johnson will never show that type of dominance.
c0insnap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
renndawg37 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
AmerigoCorleone wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

I share that same opinion and the numbers back it up.

Fitz IS the best receiver in the league. People who actually watch the games and don't just look at the box scores know this. However, I disagree that Fitz has the softest hands in the league... I think that goes to Jason Witten. What Fitz does better than anyone I've seen is snatch the ball out of the air. It's quite amazing.

Beast
lavar703

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Even Come Close to Jerry Rice. Reply with quote

AmerigoCorleone wrote:
jargin wrote:

Yards: 15450 (89.Cool
Receptions: 1001 (5.Cool

And Jerry Rice had two of the greatest QB of all-time throwing him the ball. How this isn't taken into account is beyond me?
c0insnap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Even Come Close to Jerry Rice. Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:
AmerigoCorleone wrote:
jargin wrote:

And Jerry Rice had two of the greatest QB of all-time throwing him the ball. How this isn't taken into account is beyond me?

Calvin Johnson plays in an inflated passing league with rules that help him and with a quarterback that throws for 5,000 yards. Whether or not they go to the playoffs or win Superbowls or whatever has no effect on his regular season statistics.

Beast
BLick12

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Even Come Close to Jerry Rice. Reply with quote

c0insnap wrote:
lavar703 wrote:
AmerigoCorleone wrote:
jargin wrote:

Calvin Johnson plays in an inflated passing league with rules that help him and with a quarterback that throws for 5,000 yards. Whether or not they go to the playoffs or win Superbowls or whatever has no effect on his regular season statistics.

Yes, Jerry Rice had some elite QBs throwing him the football but CJ has a QB that was taken #1 overall, it isn't like Matt Stafford is some scrub.

AmerigoCorleone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Calvin Johnson Will Not Even Come Close to Jerry Rice. Reply with quote

lavar703 wrote:

It was a different era. Joe Montana averaged 22.8 touchdowns and 211.2 yards per 16 game regular season. Steve Young averaged 22.0 touchdowns and 196.0 yards per 16 game regular season.

So even though Matt Stafford is nowhere near them from an ability standpoint, from a statistical standpoint Calvin Johnson actually has the advantage since he plays in a much more pass happy league.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: