Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers receivers with highest drop rate in the league..again
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John232

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: 49ers receivers with highest drop rate in the league..again Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/76834/drops

Figure I would post this this if I posted the tidbit about Cossell..lol

xsaMainevent on the sig
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but... but.. but... we are only 30th in pass attempts! How can this be?!? Wink

___
mrscottso

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has to be because a Delanie Walker right?

BlaqOptic wrote:
Dan Connor is twice the LineBacker that "PWilly" will ever be.
Ataal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrscottso wrote:

From the article, it breaks down like this:

Delanie Walker - 3
Michael Crabtree - 2
Vernon Davis - 2
Bruce Miller - 1
Randy Moss -1
Frank Gore -1
Kendall Hunter -1

A question to all you football rule guru's out there: Why was the pass to Tokuafu not included?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont agree with this. and again we didnt lead the league last season. The statement said with ordinary effort, but it obviously doesnt take into account defenders hands coming across a receivers vision and other factors. also the other point is that none of the drops listed were passes beyond 15 yds down field unless they are counting the triple covered pass to moss last week as a drop too

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:

A question to all you football rule guru's out there: Why was the pass to Tokuafu not included?

because Tuku was held on the play... flagged.. and we accepted the penalty. So him twisting and almost catching it anyway doesn't count as a drop.

___
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
I dont agree with this. and again we didnt lead the league last season. The statement said with ordinary effort, but it obviously doesnt take into account defenders hands coming across a receivers vision and other factors. also the other point is that none of the drops listed were passes beyond 15 yds down field unless they are counting the triple covered pass to moss last week as a drop too

Doesn't matter the yardage. Take Walker's double-drop from last week as an example. He makes that 1 yard catch and he can fall forward for an easy first down. Because he didn't make the catch, we are in 4th down mode and go for a FG (which was missed). Maybe he makes that first down, and we get more than 0 points next time, eh?

___
Ataal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:

Well, we weren't the worst, but we had 27 drops compared to the league's worst 33. But, consider this:

The Giants tied the Browns with the most drops at 33 drops. But, the Giants were 6th (589 attempts)in the league in pass attempts. While the Niners were 31st in the league (451 attempts), better only to the Tebows.

In other words, the Giants dropped a ball every 17.8 attempts.

The Niners dropped a ball every 16.7 attempts.

So far this year, we're at 11 drops out of 114 attempts. That's a drop every 10.4 attempts. Even if we took Delanie Walker out of the equation, we're still at 14.3.

Not saying the sky is falling, but it's a concern. We're still 3-1 and should be in the playoffs again this year. But, a grain of salt, this is not.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
Ataal wrote:

because Tuku was held on the play... flagged.. and we accepted the penalty. So him twisting and almost catching it anyway doesn't count as a drop.

Ah, thank you. Forgot about the holding.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:
mrscottso wrote:

Delanie Walker - 3
Michael Crabtree - 2
Vernon Davis - 2
Bruce Miller - 1
Randy Moss -1
Frank Gore -1
Kendall Hunter -1

I could have sworn Manningham had a drop in the Lions game...

Also feels like Walker has 5-6 drops. Been a total liability as a receiver this year. Wouldn't mind Celek getting more snaps as the year goes on...
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Ataal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:
Ataal wrote:
mrscottso wrote:

Delanie Walker - 3
Michael Crabtree - 2
Vernon Davis - 2
Bruce Miller - 1
Randy Moss -1
Frank Gore -1
Kendall Hunter -1

I could have sworn Manningham had a drop in the Lions game...

Also feels like Walker has 5-6 drops. Been a total liability as a receiver this year. Wouldn't mind Celek getting more snaps as the year goes on...

Now that you mention it, it does seem like Delanie has more than that. Heck, I thought he had 2-3 drops in one game alone. Maybe the others weren't considered catchable by "ordinary means?" Maybe I'm counting plays like him catching the ball out of bounds? Dang, I wish I had NFL Rewind.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:

What are you not agreeing with? Are you saying their stats about last season are wrong. I think I remember reading some time after last season was over, maybe during the draft, that we did lead the league with the highest drop rate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ataal wrote:

Now that you mention it, it does seem like Delanie has more than that.

Well, Delanie had another one when he was flailing backwards for a catchable ball that he dropped, but a flag was thrown that negated the play anyway.

Mario had one play where he ran a deep in between the zone and he basically alligator armed the pass... so it never made it to his hands.. so I doubt they counted that one as a drop.

Crabtree had a play last week in the 4th quarter where Alex threw him a catchable ball vs Cromartie, and Crabtree never even tried to catch it.. just sailed over his head. So that won't show up as a drop.

Things like that stick out in our heads.. but due to one technicality or another.. won't show up on the stats sheet.

___
oldman9er

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
sbrown wrote:

What are you not agreeing with? Are you saying their stats about last season are wrong. I think I remember reading some time after last season was over, maybe during the draft, that we did lead the league with the highest drop rate.

Sounds like he is arguing that what statisticians consider drops, he does not. d'oh!

___
sbrown

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
sbrown wrote:

Sounds like he is arguing that what statisticians consider drops, he does not. d'oh!

partly, the same way someone would argue a bad pass when theres a defender barrelling down on a QB. There are sometimes other factors. however My point is that we are the only people i ever here talk about dropped passes as if no other team has them. I understand why people post stats about our team for conversation purposes, but I am as praiseworthy as well as critical toward the receivers as anyone. I analyze them more than anyone but still the giants led the league last season, the eagles were also up there as well as the packers, but good teams still find a way to win.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: