Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Positions the lions need help with

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheMantobeat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Positions the lions need help with Reply with quote

Whether they get this done now, in the off season, or threw the draft, It just needs to happen.

This is entirely my opinion please post your own (and no insulting replies thanks Wink

#1NEED: a solid cb: We need on solid corner to play opposite houston because bently and lacy are just not cutting it out there.

#2NEED: a lb who can cover, don't get me wrong tulloch is a great run stopper but he's to darn slow and short to be a cover lb we need someone that can cover a te, rb and stop a running qb when they scramble for 40 yrds.

#3NEED: A new TE: Unless pettigrew can prove he can catch and hold on to ball in the redzone i don't think he should continue to start just way to many dropped passes. Sheffler should take over the #1 job until we can find a suitable replacement.

#4NEED:Jahvid Best: with Leshore healthy now and playing well at times, Best would be a great compliment on 3rd down and other long yardidge situation, ca really help get the heat off Megatron to maybe open ups some plays down field.

#5 NEED:a FB: I always thought the reason the lions had no run game was the fact they had no fb i honestly can't remember seeing a single fb in the back field at all this season, Maybe we could move pettigrew with his big body back there for a cuple plays and maybe he can open some holes for leshore and we could get some big runs.

# 6 NEED:safety: at the moment we are in dire need of a safety but with delmas coming back soon i think we only need a short term replacement cause delmas is good.

#7 NEED: Rieff to actually play, we drafted the kid with our first pick might as well play him

Top Need Period:tackling practice: i laughed during the p return vs the vikings it was so bad, He had a great change to create a turnover , Let alone just plain tackle the guy and he dives at his legs In the words of the Monday night football crew "COME ON MAN"

2013 Adopt-A-Lion: #26 FS Louis Delmas: 16 Ts 2 Ints
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

I think Saftey needs to move up the list to #1 or 2. It is IMO our biggest need especially with Delmas being a free agent.

I don't know if we need Best, but he sure would help. What I don't get is that Leshoure, Belll, and Smith seem more than capable to catch the ball yet we don't run nearly as many screens for them as we did Best. Best may be a little shifter but I don't see him ever coming back. And I really don't want to use major resources to get a similar player next year.

I agree that Reiff should be playing. Even if not at LT, somewhere on the line. He is talented and needs to get some game experience.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Positions the lions need help with Reply with quote

Hey, welcome to the forum!

First thing I should point out is that your avatar is way too big--site rules permit only 80x80 images in that spot. You can use that one if you reduce it. Also, your signature banner is an animated .gif, which is not permitted either.

TheMantobeat wrote:
#2NEED: a lb who can cover, don't get me wrong tulloch is a great run stopper but he's to darn slow and short to be a cover lb we need someone that can cover a te, rb and stop a running qb when they scramble for 40 yrds.

I can't say as though I agree with you on Tulloch--I think his coverage has been very good since he joined the Lions. He wasn't known for it in Tennessee, but he's improved in that area and I wouldn't say he's below-average in that area. MLBs aren't often asked to cover anyone man-on-man--if anything that's the OLB's job (though with the athletic TEs in the game today, that's more often going to be a safety or a CB).

Durant comes off the field on passing downs, and Levy is okay--though inconsistent. However, both of them are free agents at the end of the year. I wouldn't mind an upgrade at either position.

Quote:
#3NEED: A new TE: Unless pettigrew can prove he can catch and hold on to ball in the redzone i don't think he should continue to start just way to many dropped passes. Sheffler should take over the #1 job until we can find a suitable replacement.

Scheffler can't block, and that's always going to prevent him from being an every-down TE. Honestly I don't think the Lions think they have a problem at TE, let alone as their #3 weak spot. I get frustrated at Pettigrew's ineptitude at times too, but Scheffler hasn't actually been much better at catching the ball so far this year.

Quote:
#5 NEED:a FB: I always thought the reason the lions had no run game was the fact they had no fb i honestly can't remember seeing a single fb in the back field at all this season, Maybe we could move pettigrew with his big body back there for a cuple plays and maybe he can open some holes for leshore and we could get some big runs.

They've had Scheffler and Heller line up at fullback several times, but they usually get moved up into the slot or next to Pettigrew. I think Heller does okay as a lead blocker, it's just that the Lions would really rather spread the defense out and line up single-back than use a roster spot on a full-time fullback.

Quote:
#7 NEED: Rieff to actually play, we drafted the kid with our first pick might as well play him

I don't think you play a guy for the sake of playing him. The line has done pretty average in run blocking (it was bad against Minnesota, though) and actually pretty good in pass blocking (again, Minnesota being an exception). I suppose you could play him at guard instead of Peterman, but when it boils down to it, he's a tackle, and I think he's better off learning as a tackle rather than learning how to play guard, then making the switch again when he's called on as a starter next year.

Quote:
Top Need Period:tackling practice: i laughed during the p return vs the vikings it was so bad, He had a great change to create a turnover , Let alone just plain tackle the guy and he dives at his legs In the words of the Monday night football crew "COME ON MAN"

I think we can pretty much all agree the tackling is horrible on special teams. I think it was Stylish who pointed out the other day that STs are usually a great indicator of depth on the team, so if they're performing poorly it says you've got some bad depth. And I have to agree with that. Our backup linebackers are almost entirely untested (Doug Hogue, Tahir Whitehead, Travis Lewis, with Ashlee Palmer being the one exception) and two of our four rostered CBs are rookies (and let's face it, Jonté Green is really, really bad right now and should probably be on the practice squad). I think Detroit has an above-average group of starters, but it's when they have to go to subpackages or give some guys a rest when they really run into problems.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

It's to early in the year for me to rank needs position by position.

I will say the secondary is the weakest position group on the team and needs to be fixed.

Beyond that I don't see a position group I'm satisfied with at this point of the season. If I had to grade them out I think I'm most satisfied with the linebacker group.

Beyond that no group is having a stellar season and frankly the only players on the roster I view as untouchable are CJ and Hanson.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
Honalulufan20

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bump safety up to #2 or 3. Delmas is our only reliable safety and he misses at least 4-6 games a year with some sort of injury.

1King

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Your list sucks. Wink Just kidding.

I do vehemently disagree with your order though.

#1 need for me is S and rather easily. We have 1 NFL caliber S on the roster and he is always hurt.

CB: I agree its a need, but we need a true #1 CB, we have guys who are capable/good #2-5 CB types.

LB: Agree on need, but I would have a spot or two lower.

TE: Completely disagree.

Best: He isn't ever going to be healthy.

FB: We don't really use them in this offense, we rely more on 2 TE sets than 1 TE/1 FB.

S: discussed above

I'm fine with Rieff on the bench for now as he learns etc.

Can't believe you left interior OL off your top 7 needs list. It's arguably our 2nd most important need and to me is quite easily our biggest offensive need.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three glaring positions IMO that need an upgrade:

- CB
- S
- OG

Delmas coming back will help and we could maybe try Reiff at RG the rest of the year but these positions need to be significantly addressed in the off-season.

Depending how things go DE may also be high on the list since we could lose Avril, KVB, and L-Jax though some will debate how much of a loss that actually is.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with the order but I'll agree that the loss of Best really put the lions in a bind as far as offensive schemes.

They used to use the screen to Best almost as a staple of the offense and we see nothing resembling it now. I don't think we have anyone on the roster that can catch and get upfield as fast as Best was able to out of the backfield. Huge loss on offense.

We have plenty of weapons to compensate and they shouldn't be as hamstrung on offense as they appear to be right now but the loss of Best was definitely a blow to the offense.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Special Teams coach- No explanation needed
S- See above
CB- Once more
RG- I swear its the last time
OC- I lied
K- Legatron needs some oil if he wants to continue at the ripe age of 90.

LB- Okay, Durant has an expiring contract soon, and Levy still has to prove himself.
P- We suck at punting
RT- Gosder doesnt wow anybody
Best replacement- Unless he can recover
DE- Pending Avril contract and KVB aging
TE- Pending Pettigrews dropping habits
Maybe LB again- If Levy busts and Durant leaves
Maybe WR- If Burleson ages un-gracefully and Broyles or Titus busts

We could knock out 2-4 in the first group easy in FA. The rest could hopefully be addressed in the draft, if not then by trade.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
cibowilson

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think DE is a bigger need then people are letting on. I think we really need a good to great DE to make this Defense really roll.
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cibowilson wrote:
I think DE is a bigger need then people are letting on. I think we really need a good to great DE to make this Defense really roll.

Won't argue with that. Our current DE's aren't getting the job done thus far. Then again very few on the team are.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Positions of Need Reply with quote

I would suggest the Lions greatest needs are;

1. DE - Replace Avril, Jackson, and Vanden Bosch. Will most likely tender RFA Willie Young but, we need way more pressure on the quarterback than we're getting.

2. Safety - I would suggest we need two starting safeties. I wouldn't re-sign Delmas, he has way too many injuries.

3. #1 Cornerback - with are need to secure a DE in the first round of the draft, I doubt we are able to select a cornerback, i.e., DeMarcus Milliner.

4. Center/Right Guard - we have needed to replace Raiola and Peterman for some time. It will be interesting to see our running game performance after replacing them.

5. Linebacker - at a minimum, we need to replace Durant. They will most likely re-sign Levy. So far, I don't see much in last years crop but, maybe we can find one in next years draft.

6. Defensive Tackle - Williams and Hill are free agents next year. I can envision re-signing Hill but, Williams would have to lower is contract number due to cap space.

7. Punter
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Positions of Need Reply with quote

duanegarrison09 wrote:
I would suggest the Lions greatest needs are;

1. DE - Replace Avril, Jackson, and Vanden Bosch. Will most likely tender RFA Willie Young but, we need way more pressure on the quarterback than we're getting.

2. Safety - I would suggest we need two starting safeties. I wouldn't re-sign Delmas, he has way too many injuries.

3. #1 Cornerback - with are need to secure a DE in the first round of the draft, I doubt we are able to select a cornerback, i.e., DeMarcus Milliner.

4. Center/Right Guard - we have needed to replace Raiola and Peterman for some time. It will be interesting to see our running game performance after replacing them.

5. Linebacker - at a minimum, we need to replace Durant. They will most likely re-sign Levy. So far, I don't see much in last years crop but, maybe we can find one in next years draft.

6. Defensive Tackle - Williams and Hill are free agents next year. I can envision re-signing Hill but, Williams would have to lower is contract number due to cap space.

7. Punter

My list almost exactly - my only change would be TE instead of DT. I really hope we go DE/S or S/DE in first two rounds. Then hopefully we can re-sign Houston and pickup a DRC or Tracy Porter in FA.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: