Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL Draft-Mock drafts only
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 61, 62, 63  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jargin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the most glaring need is on the OL. I doubt Gary would support drafting an OG in the first round but I wouldn't be surprised if we went OT, even if it was a guy that played LT in college that we could move to RT. I mean, we gotta protect our investment in Schaub. The defense is at the point where we can add to a lot of the minor holes with late round picks. There isn't anything glaring on D. I think this year is all about the OL.

[quote="amazingandre"]Do me a favor and never quote me again[/quote]
kenney

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that, if he were to come out this year, the Texans would draft Jake Matthews out of A&M. But if either of A&M's tackles comes out early, it will be Joeckel.

My theory all along has been that Joeckel would come out after his junior year, A&M would move Joeckel to left tackle to (hopefully) boost his draft stock even further. A&M getting (conceivably) four straight years of first round picks after such a terrible previous decade would do a lot to improve their appeal on the recruiting trail.
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably one of the weaker classes of OT's in a while and it has no headliners like Jake Long or Matt Kalil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
This is probably one of the weaker classes of OT's in a while and it has no headliners like Jake Long or Matt Kalil
The trait I have noticed about classes of OT's is that often times one guy makes a meteoric rise between the end of the college season and the draft. Either because of the combine or because of scouts finding their tapes and "sharing" their reports with other scouts. This is certainly different than the QB position, which has players like Luck and Barkley "destined" to be the #1 pick in the next draft before they have even played their senior season in college.

lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jargin wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:
The trait I have noticed about classes of OT's is that often times one guy makes a meteoric rise between the end of the college season and the draft. Either because of the combine or because of scouts finding their tapes and "sharing" their reports with other scouts. This is certainly different than the QB position, which has players like Luck and Barkley "destined" to be the #1 pick in the next draft before they have even played their senior season in college.

ie Bobby Massie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time to bump up MLB on the draft needs. To bad T'eo will be long gone before we pick.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
I think it's time to bump up MLB on the draft needs. To bad T'eo will be long gone before we pick.

Why? Do you think Cushing won't be back next season? I think ILB is a draft need but not a high one, 4th-5th round. If we get a better DT/NT in the 1st round it will lessen the need at ILB.
kenney

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

Why? Do you think Cushing won't be back next season? I think ILB is a draft need but not a high one, 4th-5th round. If we get a better DT/NT in the 1st round it will lessen the need at ILB.

ACL injuries usually take a full season back before a player is back. Unless Cushing hits the juice again to aid his recovery, ILB is going to be hole.

The thing is, it was already going to be a top defensive priority going into the offseason. James is a good rah-rah guy and a good coach on the field, but I don't want him starting longer than he has to be.

We're about to learn how poor our "middle triangle" is to our defense. Cody, James, and Dobbins/Ruud are pretty much bottom of the league when it comes to "corners of your run-stopping defense."

I think our first round pick will be on offense in 2013 (for instance, I don't think Matthews is coming out, but I do think Houston would draft him at RT if he did), but I'm anticipating our 2nd and 3rd round picks being a nose tackle and an ILB.
Grasspike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
lumberjackchris wrote:

ACL injuries usually take a full season back before a player is back. Unless Cushing hits the juice again to aid his recovery, ILB is going to be hole.

The thing is, it was already going to be a top defensive priority going into the offseason. James is a good rah-rah guy and a good coach on the field, but I don't want him starting longer than he has to be.

We're about to learn how poor our "middle triangle" is to our defense. Cody, James, and Dobbins/Ruud are pretty much bottom of the league when it comes to "corners of your run-stopping defense."

I think our first round pick will be on offense in 2013 (for instance, I don't think Matthews is coming out, but I do think Houston would draft him at RT if he did), but I'm anticipating our 2nd and 3rd round picks being a nose tackle and an ILB.

ILB is best filled for now with situational players. Find a low-cost platoon with different strengths. If we have an ILB that plays the run very well and one that plays the pass very well, and sub them out heavily depending on the situation, that combination can play as well as a superior player.

I think Smith has built the team to the point that they can and will draft BPA to ensure that the talent core remains strong, and the holes can be filled with good complementary players that can be found pretty cheaply in free agency. That's how the teams that stay successful build, and the franchise hasn't given me any indication that it doesn't plan to build this way.

Sig by matthouston91
PAtexansFAN99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itll probably be either a defensive back or an offensive lineman.

LORK88
jargin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it makes no sense for us to get rid of DeMeco because he was too highly paid at ILB and then turn around and draft an ILB in the 1st round which we will have to pay a lot more to than veterans like Dobbins and James for the time being.

I think that the OL is the place to concentrate, although, almost every time I say we should do one thing, we do another. So Rick Smith may just be in a "solidify the defense" mode for the next few years when it comes to high picks in the draft and then let Kubiak pillage the later rounds for guys who fit his scheme.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us draft a safety if we let Quin go because we have to take care of Barwin and Cushing. I also wouldn't be surprised to see us grab another CB. Jonathan Joseph and Kareem are going strong right now but you can never have too many good corners when you face teams like the Packers and the Ravens who have lots of weapons. I think the fact that we haven't seen Brandon Harris as a full time player yet is not a good sign. A 2nd round pick that can't beat out McCain as the nickle means that he probably isn't going to beat out Jackson or Joseph for one of the outside spots. I think McCain has done a really good job as the nickel this year, once again, even if I am in the minority. I mean just look at his best game of the year on MNF, he played well.

Who really knows at this point? I can point out areas I can imagine the Texans trying to improve but the draft is unpredictable and if we are picking at 32, which all of us hope that we are come next April, there may be a top 15 talent that falls to us at a position we don't really need help at but it may be in our best interest to take him.

Wolf6151

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expanding upon this draft need thread let's talk about Comp. picks as well. What comp. picks do you guys think that we might get for losing Mario, Brisiel, and Allen?

Right now I'm thinking we get a 3rd for Mario, possibly a 5th for Brisiel, and maybe a 6th for Allen. Opinions...
lumberjackchris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we can forget about both Jockel and Mathews from aTm. They absolutely shut down Mingo and Montgomery Saturday and will be top 20 draft picks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumberjackchris wrote:
I think we can forget about both Jockel and Mathews from aTm. They absolutely shut down Mingo and Montgomery Saturday and will be top 20 draft picks.

Joeckel likely goes as he may be a top 10 pick (he won't get past Chiefs or Raiders), but I wouldn't be so sure that Matthews wouldn't want a season at LT top propel himself to a top 10 overall as well with a 2nd year with Johnny Football and getting the spotlight to himself. Sorry, totally unimpressed with Mingo and Montgomery who just strike me as more LSU guys who get by on physically dominating the garbage teams in the bottom of the SEC but Joeckel and Matthews show that against physical equals their lack of technique will have them shrink at the next level. Damontre Moore, however, is the second coming of Von Miller.

Let it be known that I'm already "all in" on Baylor WR Terrence Williams as the Texans #1 and none of you can say he's short or fat. 1,000 yards & 9 TDs in 6 games, folks! That last Baylor bust candidate (Wright) still has double all other rookie receivers production thus far and #2 also went to Baylor (Josh Gordon).

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Let it be known that I'm already "all in" on Baylor WR Terrence Williams as the Texans #1 and none of you can say he's short or fat. 1,000 yards & 9 TDs in 6 games, folks! That last Baylor bust candidate (Wright) still has double all other rookie receivers production thus far and #2 also went to Baylor (Josh Gordon).

...I can actually get behind Williams. I like what I've seen from him, very smooth athlete with room to grow.

In regards to our favorite Titan - he IS only one of two WRs who stepped into the de-factor #1 role (Justin Blackmon being the other one). I've been impressed with ol' fatty and that anemic Titans offense, however.

EDIT: In regards to T...IF we pull the trigger on a T, I am 99.999% certain it will be Ricky Wagner:

1. He's from Wisconsin, a pipeline program for the Texans
2. He's a former TE who converted to RT and is now playing LT.

He's got a bit of growing to do, as it's reported he's got some sloppy feet and tends to bend at the waste in pass protection, but the athletic ability he has screams ZBS RT.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 61, 62, 63  Next
Page 2 of 63

Jump to: