Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Everson Griffen moving to LB; back to DE?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blog.vikings.com/2012/08/14/griffen-moving-back-to-defensive-end-frazier-says/

Quote:
We saw enough of [Griffen] at linebacker where we feel that [defensive end] is going to be better for him, Frazier said, according to KFAN.coms AJ Mansour. We talked to him Sunday night when we got back and he agrees that its better to be able to focus on that position.

With Griffen losing roughly 20 pound sin the offseason, will he add some back to get back to the 265 range. I like Griffen playing at a lighter weight, I think that will make him more explosive, whether that be at DE, DT or LB.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a player who supposedly was a troublemaker type coming out of college, Griffen seems to have matured well and is very accepting of what the coaches ask him to do.

not a big ego guy after all.

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
for a player who supposedly was a troublemaker type coming out of college, Griffen seems to have matured well and is very accepting of what the coaches ask him to do.

not a big ego guy after all.

Griffen had his moments when he entered the league, however, this offsaeson he really showed his dedication by doing what the training staff and coaches asked of him.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffen wasn't going to beat out Erin Henderson for playing time at weakside linebacker, and there was an obvious need for a credible backup at defensive end. But the experiment wasn't a total waste, I don't think. Griffen has appeared effective as a stand-up defensive lineman in the Vikings "3-3" nickel package, and spending some time in a linebacker role could only help his comfort level in that alignment.

In the end, the real test will be whether defensive coordinator Alan Williams can find a way to get Griffen regular work at defensive end. Jared Allen played more snaps (1,004) than any defensive end in the NFL last season. Robison was close behind. There is no reason to wear down starters to that extent -- as long as there is a viable alternative. Now, there is.

Kevin Seifert, ESPN.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/44875/everson-griffen-back-where-he-belongs

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!! I love the 3-3 nickel package. Brilliant. Why have an extra DT in obvious pass downs when you could put that player in coverage or for a perfectly timed blitz. This is what I was kind of thinking, Griffen probably will never be a permanent DE or LB. Could be both. in the 3-3 defense, I would expect Allen/Robison at RE/LE, Kevin Williams at DT and Griffen at OLB as a blitzer.

the Packers run a 2-4 nickel package. I think having more guys on the line in obvious passing downs is becoming cumbersome for stopping passing attacks.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everson Griffen has embraced the versatile role the Vikings have given him, and made three of the defense's biggest plays against Detroit. He can rush from the edge or from the tackle spot, and he's occasionally asked to drop into coverage as a hybrid linebacker/lineman.

Frazier: "He's understanding what we want from him. He's pretty clear now on exactly what the expectations are. And we do a lot of different things with him. He's a heck of a special teams player as well. So now we're at a point where we're getting the most out of him in each situation. And that's great for our football team."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/172021661.html?refer=y

Webmaster wrote:
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griffen: "I'd like to be among the league leaders in sacks. I've got to keep on working. You can't let that get to your head. If I do it next week, I've got to keep on doing it. That's how you make a statement. When my career is over, I just want to be remembered as someone who went hard on every play."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21690345/vikings-everson-griffen-id-like-be-among-league

Webmaster wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Griffen: "I'd like to be among the league leaders in sacks. I've got to keep on working. You can't let that get to your head. If I do it next week, I've got to keep on doing it. That's how you make a statement. When my career is over, I just want to be remembered as someone who went hard on every play."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_21690345/vikings-everson-griffen-id-like-be-among-league

I think at some point, the Vikes need to consider starting Griffen at LE. Granted Griffen seems to perform well as a situational pass rusher, I just see him as a potential upgrade at LE. Robison has been disappointing as a starter this year and is probably a better situational pass rusher.

I like Griffen a lot and I hope he can get double digit sacks this year.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
vike daddy wrote:

I think at some point, the Vikes need to consider starting Griffen at LE. Granted Griffen seems to perform well as a situational pass rusher, I just see him as a potential upgrade at LE. Robison has been disappointing as a starter this year and is probably a better situational pass rusher.

I like Griffen a lot and I hope he can get double digit sacks this year.

I can agree with this. Allthough I don't think Griffen should be on every down. Give him the majority, but give Robison some time too.

But I think he makes more of an impact when he's on the field then compared to Robison.

But other than incorporating Griffen into the Defensive End/Linebacker spots, I'd like to see D'Aundrae Reed get some playing time too. You don't want to see your Defensive Ends have a great 3/4 of the year, and at the end of the year just look slow and tired. Incorporate players into the lineup to keep everyone fresh. I think we have the talent to do just that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everson Griffen really seems to be finding his way in the NFL. I rememeber being excited when we drafted him thought he was a gem in the 4th and still do. Hope to see him starting over Robison who hasn't had nearly the impact he had last year.
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everson is good where he is right now as a situational pass rusher. Our current starting DE's are right around 30 y/o and Everson is poised to take one of the positions from them when they move on.

No need to change things around right now, what we are doing is working.
The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RT @1500ESPNJudd: Everson Griffen's mother passed away yesterday. That's why he wasn't with the team today. Sad, sad news

www.twitter.com/jclong

Multiple reports this was the reason, very sad news. Apparently she was visiting him here in MN too from the sounds of it.

vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gnat wrote:
Quote:
RT @1500ESPNJudd: Everson Griffen's mother passed away yesterday. That's why he wasn't with the team today. Sad, sad news

www.twitter.com/jclong

Multiple reports this was the reason, very sad news. Apparently she was visiting him here in MN too from the sounds of it.

That is tragic, I wonder how this affects his ability to play on Sunday.
Zephiel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frazier gave him all the time he wants to come back, rightfully so.

Tragic news. Prayers with him and his family.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My condolences to the Griffen family. Extremely sad news. The organization has done the right thing in giving him as much as time as he needs.

Peppers90 on the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: