Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Reviewing draft after 4 weeks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick49er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reviewing draft after 4 weeks Reply with quote

Still no sign of any of our draft picks....

We have a great squad though....im not complaining, but obviously we could have added some players who could have been next in line guys.

I mentioned Cordy Gleen last week, if we drafted him he could have been the backup for a guard or a tackle spot if an injury occured to our O-line.

Jenkins and James are long way down the depth chart in there positions and are unlikely to contribute this year.

Kendall Hunter is looking great this season and is the front runner for the main job in the future and Gore hasnt lost a step this year as many people predicted... add in Jacobs with short yardage and Dixon special teams and James is basically our 5th RB option. However Jacobs and Gore are getting older so James might become valauble in 2 years or so (long time to wait though)

Bar Moss our WR's are relatively young as well. Crabtree,Manningham and Williams throw in Ginn as a returner and you still have 4 guys ahead of Jenkins on the depth chart next year and thats if Moss doesn't return or if we dont add to the position next year....

Last edited by Nick49er on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
4evera9er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we really need another thread like this? I'm not hating on you but we saw where the last version of this conversation went.

I know you're talking about other things too but it might be better to start discussing last years draft class instead of this one (much like you did in the second paragraph).

We have taken guys at positions in the draft where we felt there was a stronger chance of a true star down the line as opposed to plugging in a decent rookie straight off the bat. And, until either of them get any/significant play time it's really not that worthy of discussion tbh.
Nick49er

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4evera9er wrote:
Do we really need another thread like this? I'm not hating on you but we saw where the last version of this conversation went.

I know you're talking about other things too but it might be better to start discussing last years draft class instead of this one (much like you did in the second paragraph).

We have taken guys at positions in the draft where we felt there was a stronger chance of a true star down the line as opposed to plugging in a decent rookie straight off the bat. And, until either of them get any/significant play time it's really not that worthy of discussion tbh.

You have a point..... but i dont see them contributing at all this year and even if used next year....i dont see them contributing much because we already have good young players in those positions... How far down the line are we drafting for thats all im saying....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again... we have a team that doesn't need immediate starters from the draft. Our coaching staff also doesn't likes to rush rookies into playing time. They'll get their chance it's just going to be later on.

^Kempes^
Tubthumper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video breaks down our rookies and how they will contribute next year. It pretty much answers your question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player
4evera9er

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick49er wrote:
4evera9er wrote:

You have a point..... but i dont see them contributing at all this year and even if used next year....i dont see them contributing much because we already have good young players in those positions... How far down the line are we drafting for thats all im saying....

That's kind of what I mean. If they're not contributing this year then there's not really much point in having a Week 4 thread on our rookies. As I said, not hating here, but it's def worth discussing how last years draft class is coming along.
4evera9er

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubthumper wrote:
This video breaks down our rookies and how they will contribute next year. It pretty much answers your question

I'd buy you a round for that Laughing
sbrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubthumper wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick49er wrote:
4evera9er wrote:

Joe Staley is 28 (and signed through 2017), Anthony Davis turns 23 next week (and signed through 2014), and Alex Boone is the backup tackle (25, and signed through 2015)...how much longer would it be until Cordy Glenn saw the field?

At WR - Randy Moss and Ted Ginn are free agents after this year. Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham are free agents after 2013.

At RB - Jacobs is only signed through this year, and Dixon is only signed through next (and is only a special teams player anyway).

So at both WR and RB, there's a better chance a player will see the field next year or the year after than at the tackle position. What is this obsession with writing off players that were drafted with the future in mind? Even this year - going in Randy Moss was a complete unknown and there was no certainty he'd actually make the roster. Kyle Williams was as likely as any to be cut. At running back, we got a young back of the kind we didn't have before (him and Hunter are two very different styles - don't confuse being short with being the same style). Are any of them seeing the field right now? No. Would any tackle or guard drafted in the first or second round? Not really, no.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 27th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #26, Ottis Anderson: 49
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 743
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Reviewing draft after 4 weeks Reply with quote

Nick49er wrote:
Still no sign of any of our draft picks....

Hey, it's a forum. So do what you want. But my suggestion would be that after the "3 week" and "4 week posts" you might do well to revisit this subject again after week 15 rather than week 5.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Nick49er wrote:
4evera9er wrote:

Joe Staley is 28 (and signed through 2017), Anthony Davis turns 23 next week (and signed through 2014), and Alex Boone is the backup tackle (25, and signed through 2015)...how much longer would it be until Cordy Glenn saw the field?

At WR - Randy Moss and Ted Ginn are free agents after this year. Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham are free agents after 2013.

At RB - Jacobs is only signed through this year, and Dixon is only signed through next (and is only a special teams player anyway).

So at both WR and RB, there's a better chance a player will see the field next year or the year after than at the tackle position. What is this obsession with writing off players that were drafted with the future in mind? Even this year - going in Randy Moss was a complete unknown and there was no certainty he'd actually make the roster. Kyle Williams was as likely as any to be cut. At running back, we got a young back of the kind we didn't have before (him and Hunter are two very different styles - don't confuse being short with being the same style). Are any of them seeing the field right now? No. Would any tackle or guard drafted in the first or second round? Not really, no.

There you go Nick. Probably the kind of reasoning our management was going through during the draft.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read the topic, but if I were to guess what we draft this year it's going to be D-line. Specifically DE and NT. Both Justin and Sopo are getting long in the teeth and it's time to start grooming some youngsters.

Then I would assume we go OLB, S and CB.

I think Center is another position we could address early in the draft next year.

We're basically at the point where we only draft to replace player leaving in the near future. We don't draft for starters anymore. That is an awesome feeling to have.

xsaMainevent on the sig
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John232 wrote:
I didn't read the topic, but if I were to guess what we draft this year it's going to be D-line. Specifically DE and NT. Both Justin and Sopo are getting long in the teeth and it's time to start grooming some youngsters.

Then I would assume we go OLB, S and CB.

I think Center is another position we could address early in the draft next year.

We're basically at the point where we only draft to replace player leaving in the near future. We don't draft for starters anymore. That is an awesome feeling to have.

Seems like a nice place to start building our priority list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="y2lamanaki"]
Nick49er wrote:
4evera9er wrote:

Have you heard of injuries....he would be next in line meaning if an injury occured to any of the above players he would be starting....he wouldnt be behind 4-5 guys.....thats my point.

Anyway its just a thought....but i personally think we should have drafted O-line help or DE,S, AND CB help before an RB in the second.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Nick49er"]
y2lamanaki wrote:
Nick49er wrote:
4evera9er wrote:

Have you heard of injuries....he would be next in line meaning if an injury occured to any of the above players he would be starting....he wouldnt be behind 4-5 guys.....thats my point.

Anyway its just a thought....but i personally think we should have drafted O-line help or DE,S, AND CB help before an RB in the second.

I wanted all those myself. What it came down to was probably taking one of those positions, or actually drafting the best players they had on the board. LaMichael James is a great talent, and we got him in the second round. In all likelihood, our front office maybe didn't even expect him to be there for us. But when he was, it was a no-brainer. We were in a position where we didn't have huge gaping holes on our roster, so we didn't have to draft for need. So we just took the best talent available... that simple.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: