Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The All Things Eugene "Geno" Smith Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reality_Check wrote:
kenney wrote:
khodder wrote:
kenney wrote:
khodder wrote:
I said it for most of last season and I will say it again now;

Evaluate Quarterbacks, not the system they play it.

If you do that you can see the talent that Smith has will tranlaste to other offensive systems, it will translate to coming out from under center. Will he need to work on making it habit, yeah of course he does, but so do just about every QB entering the NFL as a rookie.

If you evaluate the QB and not the scheme you will get a much much clearer picture of the QB's available for the draft.

That's a fine system, but I'll stick with mine until it steers me wrong. Which it has never done.

By eliminating Quarterbacks in the Air Raid offense all you are doing is limiting the pool of players you have to scout. Why take a small pool of players who have the talent to play QB in the NFL and make it even smaller by eliminating a group of them for the college offense they play in.

It is not like by saying that you looked at them you have to have them. You can look at a vast majority of those Air Raid QB's and know they don't have the physical skillset to play in the NFL. At this stage I see no reason to downgrade Smith based on the throws he is making, the form he has and his footwork. I have not looked at him extensively and that could change, but for now I see nothing but good things in Smith.

Eliminating him from consideration by eliminating QB's from the Air Raid offense is very poor methodology.

I don't eliminate him from consideration altogether. My rule of thumb is that a player in the Air Raid who, to the eye, looks like he should go in a given round, should be downgraded by at least one additional round.

Griffin and Weeden were second round players. Smith is a second round player.

And for the record, Smith, even in his "pro-style offense" as RC claims (which it wasn't), was unremarkable against Big East-level talent.

Uh, yes it was. It ran all 9 routes on the route tree, took snaps from under center, and emphasized pro read progressions.

I've been banging the table for Geno as the top QB for awhile, and it isn't b/c of the numbers. Just watch him play. He has fantastic accuracy in the mid game, a good deep ball, drives the ball well outside the numbers, generates good velocity, and has a quick release. He keeps his eyes up and down field, and (unlike Weeden and virtually every other air raid QB) doesn't get frustrated when you move him off his spot.

The thing about Air Raid guys in the past (Harrell, Weeden, etc) is they're zone throwers who break down when you move them off their spot. Geno isn't that guy. Peronally I have down graded Air raid guys for that very reason, but this guy, much like Breees and the height "rule" are the exception.

Applause

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
Falastine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is there to talk about? Geno Smith is the whole package. I'd be shocked if he's not the top overall pick come April.
SaveourSonics

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downgrading a player purely due to system is silly. If you don't look at how that player acts within the context of the system than you're not really evaluating him.
CWood21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Downgrading a player purely due to system is silly. If you don't look at how that player acts within the context of the system than you're not really evaluating him.

I wouldn't say it's downgrading, so much as it is being precautionary about rash judgements.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheHill84 wrote:
I wanna see more zip on his ball though just think he needs to position the ball better in his hands, his spiral is shaky which will hurt his deep ball in the pros since it wont drop on a dime too much.

But thats something he'll work on when he starts training for the draft so I'm not worried I pray the Jets get this kid, if not him I want Tyler Bray

I think it's something that will improve a bit once he spends the time after the college season ends working on his mechanics again. He's far more polished this season than he was in 2011 and seems to still be steadily improving.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not as raw as RG3 was as a prospect but idk if his ceiling is as high.
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
baconrad3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came away as impressed with him as I ever have been tonight against Texas. Texas' pass rush was all up on him all night and he still played great, despite his two oopsies (fumbles). Still no INTs on the year. His pocket awareness is just incredible.

Kid's got ice in his veins. legit

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Nobody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
He's not as raw as RG3 was as a prospect but idk if his ceiling is as high.
I think he's more accurate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just solidifying himself as the top pick over Barkley now. Did he actually step up his game this drastically from previous years to 2012? Because I was looking at 2013 mocks in august from this forum and around the web and almost never saw Geno as a 1st round pick, and occasionally as a 2nd. Most had Logan Thomas going 1st overall, and he may not even be taken in the 1st round now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, at this point, he is going to be the #1 pick. The man has ice running through his veins. His composure is outstanding.

His upside may not be "high" but I think I would compare him to Matt Ryan as far as that kind of thing is concerned. Good right away and may take him a while to take "the next step" but he will.

If the Jags do fall apart and end up with the #1 overall pick, I can't see how we wouldn't select him. Though I don't know if we would let go of Blaine Gabbert either. Could you imagine if we took Geno Smith and then both panned out?

Winner of Football's Future Big Brother II
Nobody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline_Flux wrote:
Yeah, at this point, he is going to be the #1 pick. The man has ice running through his veins. His composure is outstanding.

His upside may not be "high" but I think I would compare him to Matt Ryan as far as that kind of thing is concerned. Good right away and may take him a while to take "the next step" but he will.

If the Jags do fall apart and end up with the #1 overall pick, I can't see how we wouldn't select him. Though I don't know if we would let go of Blaine Gabbert either. Could you imagine if we took Geno Smith and then both panned out?
No, because that would require Gabbert panning out. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just beat a tough D with some great corners (Diggs and Byndom) and going up against a great Dline.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
Just solidifying himself as the top pick over Barkley now. Did he actually step up his game this drastically from previous years to 2012? Because I was looking at 2013 mocks in august from this forum and around the web and almost never saw Geno as a 1st round pick, and occasionally as a 2nd. Most had Logan Thomas going 1st overall, and he may not even be taken in the 1st round now.
People were predicting Thomas to break out and were assuming Geno would do nothing. They were just guesses really. I predicited the opposite though, (it wasn't a blind guess either!) Cool
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
Just beat a tough D with some great corners (Diggs and Byndom) and going up against a great Dline.
He was under pressure all day, his line didnt do him any favors... in the passing game.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
CrashMan510

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point I can't see Geno not being the #1 QB taken, hes been playing out of his mind. Tavon Austin is also having a great year, such a beast in the open field

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eSN8Cwit_s
fuarge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 12 of 23

Jump to: