Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Cossell not a fan of the 49ers offense.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:

but the irony is last season at this exact same point in the season we had the same questions about our running game. we were 2-1 and 3-1 but yet we were saying "if we dont get our running game and gore on track its going to be a long season. "whats going to happen if teams take away our passing game and we need to run and we cant". Everyone chimed in and there were NO arguments or finger pointing. we all were agreeing that we must get better in that department. There was also some for the Oline as well.

Clearly yes, our run game was really bad in the first few weeks.

sbrown wrote:
however when it is the passing game, that topic becomes taboo. Thats not fair to us as fans, and not fair to the forum.

What huge arguments are even going on now? I'm not jumping in to rip people and neither is anyone else. Heck, I barely even discuss football anymore with you people. All a few people are saying is that you'd swear we were getting blown out with a win-less record by the way some are posting. So how bout we not create drama where there is none this year? Just go about your posting.. I don't care. Think I didn't know this was coming? Of course, I did.. so carry on. We all know what's up. Green light is all yours... argue all day with yourselves if ya want... I don't work here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
sbrown wrote:

but the irony is last season at this exact same point in the season we had the same questions about our running game. we were 2-1 and 3-1 but yet we were saying "if we dont get our running game and gore on track its going to be a long season. "whats going to happen if teams take away our passing game and we need to run and we cant". Everyone chimed in and there were NO arguments or finger pointing. we all were agreeing that we must get better in that department. There was also some for the Oline as well.

sbrown wrote:
however when it is the passing game, that topic becomes taboo. Thats not fair to us as fans, and not fair to the forum.

What huge arguments are even going on now? I'm not jumping in to rip people and neither is anyone else. Heck, I barely even discuss football anymore with you people. All a few people are saying is that you'd swear we were getting blown out with a win-less record by the way some are posting. So how bout we not create drama where there is none this year? Just go about your posting.. I don't care. Think I didn't know this was coming? Of course, I did.. so carry on. We all know what's up. Green light is all yours... argue all day with yourselves if ya want... I don't work here.
Laughing

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cHaInBrEaKeRiii wrote:
Its funny to me how some of you guys are saying that fans not content with 3-1. Every niner fan in this forum and everywhere is happy that were 3-1. Find me one niner fan that's not happy because were 3-1...you prolly can't. It's the passing game that a lot of the 9ers fans are not happy with. Last year we didn't have any WRs etc etc were the reasons were didn't take deep shots and not having an explosive offense.

But this year, after adding guys like Mario and Randy that can stretch the field, its silly to think that we'll run the same ole vanilla offense. I think the offense changed. When Moss is on the field, most of the time he's running a deep route.. and manningham is also running intermediate to deep routes (most of the time).. it's the qb that don't want to throw deep and take a chance. Manninham also said that Alex and WRs are still not gelling yet.

I think the reason we don't do play actions is because Harbaugh don't trust Alex to make those throws.

Don't say I'm Alex Smith hater because I want to see a good offense. All I'm saying is .. Alex leaves a lot on the field by locking on the first read, by not steeping into the pocket, but not taking chances down the field, by getting happy feet.. and Oh.. I'm happy that were 3-1.. I wish our offense is a little better..

You still don't get it. What he does NOT leave on the field by doing that is an int and the other team with the ball when we should be still driving it. You gotta stop "blaming" our qb for that. It is the way our offense is designed. It is no accident that Alex had so few ints last year, and has only one so far this year. It is by design, because that is the way Harbaugh envisions this team winning. You can't keep saying you like 13-3, or 3-1 this year and then criticize our coaches' offense philosophy. They go hand in hand.

We're 11th and 12th in points and time of possession. I think those are numbers Harbaugh is pretty satisfied with. Those things lead to winning, not how many yards you get passing. And, a fact many here don't seem to appreciate the significance of, we're one (late desperation) int away from leading the league in that category. Then consider something else ... we're third in overall defense. But if our offense scored quicker and the defense got less rest would we still be the third ranked defense?

Take it, or leave it, it all comes as one philosophy of how to put a winning team together. I think we showed last year we can crank up the passing attack when we need to. But when we don't need to you're going to keep seeing the kind of football you've been seeing in " the Harbaugh era".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
cHaInBrEaKeRiii wrote:
Its funny to me how some of you guys are saying that fans not content with 3-1. Every niner fan in this forum and everywhere is happy that were 3-1. Find me one niner fan that's not happy because were 3-1...you prolly can't. It's the passing game that a lot of the 9ers fans are not happy with. Last year we didn't have any WRs etc etc were the reasons were didn't take deep shots and not having an explosive offense.

But this year, after adding guys like Mario and Randy that can stretch the field, its silly to think that we'll run the same ole vanilla offense. I think the offense changed. When Moss is on the field, most of the time he's running a deep route.. and manningham is also running intermediate to deep routes (most of the time).. it's the qb that don't want to throw deep and take a chance. Manninham also said that Alex and WRs are still not gelling yet.

I think the reason we don't do play actions is because Harbaugh don't trust Alex to make those throws.

Don't say I'm Alex Smith hater because I want to see a good offense. All I'm saying is .. Alex leaves a lot on the field by locking on the first read, by not steeping into the pocket, but not taking chances down the field, by getting happy feet.. and Oh.. I'm happy that were 3-1.. I wish our offense is a little better..

You still don't get it. What he does NOT leave on the field by doing that is an int and the other team with the ball when we should be still driving it. You gotta stop "blaming" our qb for that. It is the way our offense is designed. It is no accident that Alex had so few ints last year, and has only one so far this year. It is by design, because that is the way Harbaugh envisions this team winning. You can't keep saying you like 13-3, or 3-1 this year and then criticize our coaches' offense philosophy. They go hand in hand.

We're 11th and 12th in points and time of possession. I think those are numbers Harbaugh is pretty satisfied with. Those things lead to winning, not how many yards you get passing. And, a fact many here don't seem to appreciate the significance of, we're one (late desperation) int away from leading the league in that category. Then consider something else ... we're third in overall defense. But if our offense scored quicker and the defense got less rest would we still be the third ranked defense?

Take it, or leave it, it all comes as one philosophy of how to put a winning team together. I think we showed last year we can crank up the passing attack when we need to. But when we don't need to you're going to keep seeing the kind of football you've been seeing in " the Harbaugh era".

While I would love to see more 20+ yard passes in our game here and there, I have to agree with what you've said. A lot of those other "elite" quarterbacks have 400 yards a game and four touchdowns is BECAUSE of the 3 interceptions they just threw. One exception, would probably be Aaron Rodgers from last year, but that is pretty dang rare.

I'm fine with 200 yard passing games if we keep winning. That doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see improvement in some areas. It just means that at the end of the day, wins are all that matters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
TheFallofRome wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
record: 3-1

and three of the four were on the road..

Smile everyone and trust in Harbaugh. If one QB isn't getting it done in his eyes? He will make an appropriate decision. Beyond that? People are wasting their energy on worries instead of simply soaking up a good start to the season. Smile

Gotta agree with you. I never thought that I'd log in here tonight and find this much discontent when the 9ers are 3-1. If we start losing from a lack of offense and can't mount comebacks, then I will be concerned. The Vikings game was awful but every team has bad games. Besides, what if Harbaugh threw in Kaep and began losing when he started 3-1? Better to make that substitution when there is cause for near-panic, I think.

Yep. And the bolded is a better way to phrase this.

Now you fast forward exactly 1 year later and we as fans still have "discontent" about one facet of our team, however when it is the passing game, that topic becomes taboo. Thats not fair to us as fans, and not fair to the forum.

last season the packers forum was excited about their team, however there were topics about improving their defense and there was no volitility around that subject.

We shouldnt have dissention in regard to improving the team we all love.

I don't know why people get so defensive about this. I mean, we can all agree that Joe Staley had 2 really bad games this year. If we discuss Staley in the GDT or make a new thread about it, nobody would complain to this level, despite the fact that Staley has had 2 really good games beside that.

Same with Alex. He had 2 really good games to start the year and he got praise. He had 2 bad games to follow that up and you get told to root for "loser" QB's who throw for yards but lose games. And of course, that conveniently ignores the fact that Alex received a lot of praise despite throwing for 230 yards each time (IE we don't care about bulk passing yards as much as other people think we do). Total yards is not the issue, its do we have a sustainable passing game that can move the ball downfield.

Why people get so worked up and defensive over this issue, i'll never know...
-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:
Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
Miami49er wrote:
Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
Did I actually see someone post they wouldnt mind seeing someone get hurt in order for someone else to get into the game? SMDH. There is a reason why we havent taken shots down the field and thats b\c we havent needed to. We did it in the Saints game b\c we needed to. The playcalling right now is designed to protect the ball. Tight formations. We are 3-1 but let some of you tell it the sky is falling. How quickly people forget.
we HAVE needed to take some shots down the field. he tried throwing deep a couple of times on Sunday but he can't seem to hit anyone deep not named VD. every offense needs to take shots down the field. if our defense wasn't this good we would not be 3-1 with this offense.

So it was the defense that put up 30 points on the Packers and 27 on the Lions? Out of that 57 points in those two games Alex accounted for 28. I dont get what the big deal is right now. Its not the most wide open offense in the NFL, but anyone who seen this offense at Stanford knows its not the most explosive vertical offense. It is a traditional WCO. I think the connection with the deep ball will come. It has only been off by a half a step of so last game. Not to mention Kyle wilson held up the WR's on a couple of occasions.
so through 4 games we only have 1 TD pass to a WR. that's not a problem to you? you know hwy it doesn't seem like we need to throw deep? because our defense and running ability covers up the fact that we can't seem to throw more than 20 yards. not saying we can't win or we won't be able to go to the playoffs but once we get to the playoffs this offense NEEDS to more explosive than it is. you can't tell me every Niner fan wasn't expecting more explosiveness on offense after the upgrade on offense. Harbaugh and Baalke signed Moss a Manningham and drafted AJ Jenkins for a reason. Harbaugh and Baalke went hard after Peyton Manning for a reason. because Harbaugh does want a more effective passing game.

We are 4 games into the season. Not 8 but 4. I dont care who caught the TD's as long as someone is catching them. I dont get the complaint. B\c the majority of the TD's didnt go to a wide receiver its cause for panic?Thats like being owed money by your brother, but your sister pays his debt. Would you complain even though you got paid? Factor in the Alex has better chemistry with Vernon than any other player on our team, plus the play selection and how few games we have played, I just dont get the uproar. I get it, you want more explosive plays from the Wideout position but that is not this offense. The reason Moss and MM were brought in was so that teams could single up on guys like Brett Swain, Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn and then double up on Crabs and VD. There is a reason while Stanford will be putting out high draft grade TE's for the next two years and thats b\c this offense runs through them and the running game. Like I said, until I see that we are completely inept in the passing game, there is no cause for concern 4 games in. What we see from all these other teams that run the "WCO" is a bastardized version that resembles nothing of what Bo Schembechler and what Bill Walsh ran when with Bengals.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
Miami49er

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gridirongreat]
We are 4 games into the season. Not 8 but 4. I dont care who caught the TD's as long as someone is catching them. I dont get the complaint. B\c the majority of the TD's didnt go to a wide receiver its cause for panic?Thats like being owed money by your brother, but your sister pays his debt. Would you complain even though you got paid? Factor in the Alex has better chemistry with Vernon than any other player on our team, plus the play selection and how few games we have played, I just dont get the uproar. I get it, you want more explosive plays from the Wideout position but that is not this offense. The reason Moss and MM were brought in was so that teams could single up on guys like Brett Swain, Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn and then double up on Crabs and VD. There is a reason while Stanford will be putting out high draft grade TE's for the next two years and thats b\c this offense runs through them and the running game. Like I said, until I see that we are completely inept in the passing game, there is no cause for concern 4 games in. What we see from all these other teams that run the "WCO" is a bastardized version that resembles nothing of what Bo Schembechler and what Bill Walsh ran when with Bengals.[/quote]i don't buy that "it's not in the offense" stuff. Luck threw plenty of deep balls under Harbaugh at Stanford. Yes we're winning, but we can and need to improve the passing game. i'm not saying we need to sling it around like Tom Brady and Matt Ryan but Alex has to start taking more chances. This defense isn't always going to be able to score on defense and hold the opposing team to 20 points or less. like other posters have said, no matter how good your team is you're always going to want to improve a weakness. the year the Colts won the superbowl, Colts fans were complaining that their run defense was atrocious. Green Bay has a good team but fans have a right to complain about the running game being non existent. that's all we're saying. just like last year we were complaining about the running game needing improvement at the beginning of the year and yet we were winning then too. but because it's Alex Smith people take it like there's discontent or some kind of under lying hate involved.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the better way to look at this argument is how it has evolved over the years. It used to be:

"Alex Smith is awful. We need somebody better, period." vs. "Alex has never been given a chance. Let's see how he develops with real coaches/weapons/better line."

Now, it's:

Alex Smith isn't enough. We need someone who can make bigger plays. Alex is a game manager." vs. "Alex is making the correct throws. He's not forcing the ball, and as such is not creating turnovers which is fitting into our gameplan."

The great part of all of this, is it's getting closer to the truth on Alex Smith, and I think the extremists on both side have dwindled to the point where just about everything being said is very valid. A lot of people made the comparison when he was younger, and I truly think he's becoming more and more like Troy Aikman than ever before. The only question I have - could a Troy Aikman win in today's NFL? I truly question that, because our line has gotten to the point where it's pretty darn solid. Could we have better play? Of course. The weapons on the team have never been better in the past decade. Could they still be better? Probably - but this team IS built to win. The only question that remains - is Alex going to be able to carry the team in every moment when it's needed, or do we need someone who can create offense when things inevitably get rough?

Even though the two sides are closer than ever before to describing Alex Smith, I think it's still safe to say he's going to wind up somewhere in the middle of the two, and the only question is whether or not that will be good enough to win it all, or if it'll only be good enough to get us there.

Because if it's not good enough to win it all, we need to find the player that can protect the ball like Alex, but make those extra plays when needed.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
John232

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
I think the better way to look at this argument is how it has evolved over the years. It used to be:

"Alex Smith is awful. We need somebody better, period." vs. "Alex has never been given a chance. Let's see how he develops with real coaches/weapons/better line."

Now, it's:

Alex Smith isn't enough. We need someone who can make bigger plays. Alex is a game manager." vs. "Alex is making the correct throws. He's not forcing the ball, and as such is not creating turnovers which is fitting into our gameplan."

The great part of all of this, is it's getting closer to the truth on Alex Smith, and I think the extremists on both side have dwindled to the point where just about everything being said is very valid. A lot of people made the comparison when he was younger, and I truly think he's becoming more and more like Troy Aikman than ever before. The only question I have - could a Troy Aikman win in today's NFL? I truly question that, because our line has gotten to the point where it's pretty darn solid. Could we have better play? Of course. The weapons on the team have never been better in the past decade. Could they still be better? Probably - but this team IS built to win. The only question that remains - is Alex going to be able to carry the team in every moment when it's needed, or do we need someone who can create offense when things inevitably get rough?

Even though the two sides are closer than ever before to describing Alex Smith, I think it's still safe to say he's going to wind up somewhere in the middle of the two, and the only question is whether or not that will be good enough to win it all, or if it'll only be good enough to get us there.

Because if it's not good enough to win it all, we need to find the player that can protect the ball like Alex, but make those extra plays when needed.

Exactly. I was alluding to some of this in my terribly written post.

I feel the jury is still out on Smith on his ability to lead us to anything better then a couple playoffs win(as it should be), but for now, i'm not disgruntled with him at QB. He's done an admirable job being efficient, tough and has turned into a leader. Those are all traits we can't take for granted. As I said before, he played one of the best games in 49er history with the NO game only to follow it with a pretty bad performance in NY (albeit with no help). But I think everyone can agree that he is a good QB and should be starting in this league for the next six or seven years. I think the offense suffers from the conservative microscope. Meaning it's a rarity when we throw deep and go for home runs that, so when we don't convert on those passes its put under much more scrutiny.

I just think we play a game that minimizes our errors but in turn minimizes our ability to overcome those errors when they do come(to an extent, if that makes sens)

xsaMainevent on the sig
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:
[quote="Gridirongreat]
We are 4 games into the season. Not 8 but 4. I dont care who caught the TD's as long as someone is catching them. I dont get the complaint. B\c the majority of the TD's didnt go to a wide receiver its cause for panic?Thats like being owed money by your brother, but your sister pays his debt. Would you complain even though you got paid? Factor in the Alex has better chemistry with Vernon than any other player on our team, plus the play selection and how few games we have played, I just dont get the uproar. I get it, you want more explosive plays from the Wideout position but that is not this offense. The reason Moss and MM were brought in was so that teams could single up on guys like Brett Swain, Kyle Williams and Ted Ginn and then double up on Crabs and VD. There is a reason while Stanford will be putting out high draft grade TE's for the next two years and thats b\c this offense runs through them and the running game. Like I said, until I see that we are completely inept in the passing game, there is no cause for concern 4 games in. What we see from all these other teams that run the "WCO" is a bastardized version that resembles nothing of what Bo Schembechler and what Bill Walsh ran when with Bengals.
i don't buy that "it's not in the offense" stuff. Luck threw plenty of deep balls under Harbaugh at Stanford. Yes we're winning, but we can and need to improve the passing game. i'm not saying we need to sling it around like Tom Brady and Matt Ryan but Alex has to start taking more chances. This defense isn't always going to be able to score on defense and hold the opposing team to 20 points or less. like other posters have said, no matter how good your team is you're always going to want to improve a weakness. the year the Colts won the superbowl, Colts fans were complaining that their run defense was atrocious. Green Bay has a good team but fans have a right to complain about the running game being non existent. that's all we're saying. just like last year we were complaining about the running game needing improvement at the beginning of the year and yet we were winning then too. but because it's Alex Smith people take it like there's discontent or some kind of under lying hate involved.[/quote]

I dont think the bolded part would be an issue, if it werent the same people who have been on the ABA brigade, keep bringing up issues. I mean seriously, if your only complaint is that he isnt taking enough chances dont you see the problem there? Also, Luck did not throw plenty of deep balls at Stanford. He was almost always shot to intermediate with maybe a 2-3 deep balls per game. If you look at Lucks stats from last season and compared them to Alex's last season they were pretty darn close in terms of yardage. The huge gap was in TD production, but I figure this is the NFL so its not like you're going to get a team with a talent pool of a Saginaw Valley State. The margin for error is a lot less. Would I like for us to sling the ball around more? Who wouldnt, but unless we are severely behind or G-Ro and Hards see something other wise in a teams defense (like they did against the Bucs) I dont see that happening.

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
big9erfan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:

Luck threw plenty of deep balls under Harbaugh at Stanford.

Standord under Harbaugh is a good analogy, and one worth looking more closely at. But I'm wondering how well you remember the Stanford offense. When Stanford had Gerhardt they ran the kind of offense we are running now and Luck averaged less than 200 yards a game that season. Even after Gerhardt was gone and they had average or less than average running backs Luck still only averaged a little over 250 yards a game for those two years.

This is what kills me when I keep reading comments about Harbaugh "not trusting" Alex. When he had arguably the best QB in the country at Stanford he ran an offense very similar to what we see now from the 49ers. It was much more balanced than the style a lot of modern college teams play. And they were never a team that just threw the ball all over the place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Miami49er wrote:

Standord under Harbaugh is a good analogy, and one worth looking more closely at. But I'm wondering how well you remember the Stanford offense. When Stanford had Gerhardt they ran the kind of offense we are running now and Luck averaged less than 200 yards a game that season. Even after Gerhardt was gone and they had average or less than average running backs Luck still only averaged a little over 250 yards a game for those two years.

This is what kills me when I keep reading comments about Harbaugh "not trusting" Alex. When he had arguably the best QB in the country at Stanford he ran an offense very similar to what we see now from the 49ers. It was much more balanced than the style a lot of modern college teams play. And they were never a team that just threw the ball all over the place.

Im curious in how many of those 250 yard average games was luck forced to "keep up" or did they blow a lot of teams out causing very little passes in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I dont watch the whack12.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
sbrown wrote:

sbrown wrote:

haha, you are funny as usual. My point is that there should be no one side vs another with anyone on our team. as I mentioned before we were able to say gore needs to improve. But you statement "think I didnt knwo this was coming"..."we all know whats up" is a leading statement that everyone knows where you want to take it.

my position is, if gore has a couple bad games we all will say that and there will be little debate or finger pointing on the board. But we have that with alex, and thats not fair.

What y2 said is correct. I dont see the witch hunt by many posters going around labeling who's a hater etc. We all ahve come closer to a medium with him which should make these points very clear. when someone has a bad or great game it is what it is. Week 1 and 2 i voted Alex as game ball. But as soon as someone takes a shot at him then these topics come out. but if it were patrick wills (our best player) it wouldnt happen at all.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
but if it were patrick wills (our best player) it wouldnt happen at all.

Faulty Logic. Patrick Willis is incapable of a bad game. Wink

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 26th All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #25, Eddie George: 51
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 578
sbrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwentundrafted wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
Miami49er wrote:

Im curious in how many of those 250 yard average games was luck forced to "keep up" or did they blow a lot of teams out causing very little passes in the 3rd and 4th quarters. I dont watch the whack12.

hey there is some very good football in the pac 12 and Im a Florida st fan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: