Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Rivera in your dog house yet?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zithers

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems like yall are forgetting about byron bell. ron and dwan edwards have immensely improved the DT situation. our special teams is WAY better.

we came out flat against the bucs. we were unprepared. it was a divisional game away from home against a rookie coach with no proper tape to study. we sucked hard against the giants. but they are an established team who is always at their best with their backs against the wall (ie a short week away from home). they've won two super bowls recently. they're simply just better than us.

we beat the hell from the saints and gave the falcons our all. we should have won that game. and yeah, you aren't supposed to blame on play/player for a loss.... but seriously, if haruki makes that play, we win the game. or if the refs flag tony gonzalez, they're down more than a point. punting was the right call. rivera called a great game outside of the 2 minute drill. our fanbase is just way too kneejerk and is sick of losing, which is understandable. but this is a process. we were the worst team in the league two seasons ago and it is hard to lift yourself up from that. we were a lot better last year and i feel we've improved in quite a few ways this season. our time to win is coming and it will be soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe how.... I won't even use the word I want to use to describe this topic (not profane, but would offend some). Let's just say the attention span and patience are gnat-like to think it's good to get rid of a first time head coach after two seasons, after inheriting the worst team in the league. Rivera would have to win only 3 games this season for that to even be a consideration. That's how bad the team would have to play. This team would have to completely collapse in order for Rivera to be on the hotseat this early.

Granted, Sunday's loss was gut-wrenching. I was hurt by that one. However, you would have to be the definition of "fan-atic" (unreasonable by nature) to overlook the drastic improvements in the loss. I expected them to be blown out, to be honest.

I was highly impressed by the pre-game coaching job Rivera did. The team was highly motivated and prepared... and that's what you want your team to be. This was especially impressive after the skull-dragging that took place on that fateful Thursday night. One in-game blunder is all I saw (end of 2nd quarter clock management). My only concern is how will Rivera do it again, after an even more heart-breaking loss? If this team remains focused, and shows up this Sunday, Rivera will have done another stellar pre-game coaching job. He's been a part of the pre-game process for years and I'm sure has learned a lot. Now he's learning the in-game coaching nuances (as a head coach with accompanying responsibilities) while on the job... and I'm sure he's learning from his mistakes (he doesn't strike me as too proud to do at least that).
TROJANPANTHER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So according to Bill Voth on Twitter, Sherod Martin said he's not starting Sunday AND that nothing has changed with reps in practice.

So much for seeing what our options are this week at FS, huh.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
J Pep 4 Step

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hudson3010 wrote:
For a team that has potential but is not very solid (like us), those early close games count a LOT

Last year we couldnt finish games that belonged to us, same thing this year

This losses really hurt because the team is not very good like the packers (which can overcome them) and because they affect the team motivation going forward

Had we beat atlanta at their place, we would have made a statement, would be close to them and would be in a very good chance to win the division if we beat atlanta again... Now we are far away from atlanta and less motivated

Remember the year we beat the chargers in san diego at the last second on the first game of the season? That game defined our season

This current panthers team can be a 11-5 team with good coaching, and with the right coach we get the W on the bucs and falcons games, thats why I want rivera out

No it couldnt. You need a defense to do that. Or, in lieu of a defense, you need a Peyton Manning/Dallas Clark/Reggie Wayne/Marvin Harrison type offense.

We have a soft underbelly on the defensive line and questions all over our secondary. And last time I checked, Cam aint no Peyton Manning, Smith aint no Marvin Harrison (anymore) and Brandon Lafell aint no Reggie Wayne.

We are not an 11-5 team. Not if every bounce fell our way every game. Who are you trying to kid?

CK on the sig
DaveDX

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps one should look to the bargain-shopping GM before the coach who is at his mercy. Roddy White caught that massive pass while bracketed by a fifth round rookie and a career special teamer. Now yes, perhaps Norman will be great one day and there's nothing inherently wrong with late round players, but perhaps bargain-basementing one whole half of the secondary was a step or two down from brilliant.

Turns out it was a dude.
boondock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the biggest things that I felt that has always hurt Hurney is his inability to supplment the draft picks through free agency.

I'm not saying that he needs to go after the top FA every offseason, or ever really. I'm saying we definitely need to look at guys that have started and produced in the league. Not career special teamers and not career backups as we have done in the past, but legit players that can come in and contribute.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james.mcmurry13 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:
Impulser12000 wrote:
it's all about improvement. and 4 games into this season i dont know if we're any better than we were last year. and yes he took over the worst team in the nfl. but so did john fox and in year 2 we went to the superbowl. i dont see that happening this year. now those are lofty expectations but i do expect some improvement and i dont know if its coming

Does any player seem better now than they were last season?

The only one who has shown significant improvement in my eyes in LaFell.

Hardy looks better, Frank Alexander looks good (rookie though, of course). The DT situation looks better, given we've got 2 old guys taking most of the snaps. Olsen looks great, a slight improvement from last year.

Sure the dt situation looks better but our run is just as bad as ever. Our lb's look the same, our safties are worse, # 2 cb is jst as bad, qb not as good as last year (yet) smitty not as good stat-wise(still ballin tho), olsen is better bc we don't have shockey anymore
so it all evens out and as such we are stagnant. the next 12 games could prove me wrong and i hope they do. but for some reason rivera at this juncture just doesn't inspire much optimism in me. I know some would call this a knee jerk reaction but when is it time to cut loose? How long do you hitch your ride to a horse going in circles?

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
Mr.Rodgers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think given an ample amount of time to build the Defense he wants, the Panthers will definitely be a super bowl contender in a year. His defense single handedly made it to a super bowl with Rex Gross Man at QB. One would think that once he gets to shore up a very holy and over achieving defense that the sky is the limit.

give the ravens brohm, no way they pass him, we need a quarterback that is not retarded
shirtlesswonder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only issue with him is poor time management in critical game situations (see our last 3 games in the final two minutes of the half). Other than that it is too early to tell and he can't put on a helmet and execute for the players

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impulser12000 wrote:
james.mcmurry13 wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:
Impulser12000 wrote:
it's all about improvement. and 4 games into this season i dont know if we're any better than we were last year. and yes he took over the worst team in the nfl. but so did john fox and in year 2 we went to the superbowl. i dont see that happening this year. now those are lofty expectations but i do expect some improvement and i dont know if its coming

Does any player seem better now than they were last season?

The only one who has shown significant improvement in my eyes in LaFell.

Hardy looks better, Frank Alexander looks good (rookie though, of course). The DT situation looks better, given we've got 2 old guys taking most of the snaps. Olsen looks great, a slight improvement from last year.

Sure the dt situation looks better but our run is just as bad as ever. Our lb's look the same, our safties are worse, # 2 cb is jst as bad, qb not as good as last year (yet) smitty not as good stat-wise(still ballin tho), olsen is better bc we don't have shockey anymore
so it all evens out and as such we are stagnant. the next 12 games could prove me wrong and i hope they do. but for some reason rivera at this juncture just doesn't inspire much optimism in me. I know some would call this a knee jerk reaction but when is it time to cut loose? How long do you hitch your ride to a horse going in circles?

How long do you give a coach to "right the ship?" When the coach took over a 1 win team?

Three seasons. At least. Unless he shows utter incompetence. Which Rivera hasnt. Not even close.

CK on the sig
fraziafraze07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He wasn't. Now he is.

Unacceptable. Lineup and execute a simple QB sneak. Show the other team that on that particular play, you're better than them and you're going to lineup, do exactly what they think you're going to do, and then do it.

Absolutely no reason or need to get cute and try to catch them off guard.

Rich7sena wrote:
Someone's going HAM on the button in Buffalo Wild Wings.
Sir_Purrr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes
Carolina_Champ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but they only lost by four! We'll get them next time!!!
hudson3010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Pep 4 Step wrote:
hudson3010 wrote:
For a team that has potential but is not very solid (like us), those early close games count a LOT

Last year we couldnt finish games that belonged to us, same thing this year

This losses really hurt because the team is not very good like the packers (which can overcome them) and because they affect the team motivation going forward

Had we beat atlanta at their place, we would have made a statement, would be close to them and would be in a very good chance to win the division if we beat atlanta again... Now we are far away from atlanta and less motivated

Remember the year we beat the chargers in san diego at the last second on the first game of the season? That game defined our season

This current panthers team can be a 11-5 team with good coaching, and with the right coach we get the W on the bucs and falcons games, thats why I want rivera out

No it couldnt. You need a defense to do that. Or, in lieu of a defense, you need a Peyton Manning/Dallas Clark/Reggie Wayne/Marvin Harrison type offense.

We have a soft underbelly on the defensive line and questions all over our secondary. And last time I checked, Cam aint no Peyton Manning, Smith aint no Marvin Harrison (anymore) and Brandon Lafell aint no Reggie Wayne.

We are not an 11-5 team. Not if every bounce fell our way every game. Who are you trying to kid?

As bad as the defense is, so far the only game out of reach was against the giants... I'd say we could be 3-2 without much luck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: