Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Vikes defense under Alan Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpmwr19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
^ Well on third and one I would always expect a safety to be in the box, that isnt a typical down, more of a short yardage situation.

Very true.

Now I'm wishing I paid closer attention. Were the Vikings using a three deep or cover three.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
^ Well on third and one I would always expect a safety to be in the box, that isnt a typical down, more of a short yardage situation.

Very true.

Now I'm wishing I paid closer attention. Were the Vikings using a three deep or cover three.

Quote:
The tone was set. Smith also played a post to Johnson perfectly for another break-up and slammed into the line with his blitz to set up Griffen's red-zone sack. He was in the box on the first play when SS Jamarca Sanford ( got flagged for a 56-yard interference penalty. DC Alan Williams didn't press his luck again, playing tons of two- and three-deep coverages rolled Johnson's way.

There are more quotes on p2 of this thread relative to this game and the breakdown of the tape is posted.
Dr LoveVikings

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's what I'm getting at really, is that Alan Williams is using his personnel wisely in addition to instilling a more aggressive style of play. I recall seeing Harrison in the deep middle several times, but yes, he was used in the box occasionally. Honestly, he's been solid in whatever role Alan has placed him in thus far. Moving forward, Jamarca should probably play closer to the box, with Harrison patrolling as a deep safety. I trust that Alan will have a unique game plan for each team we play though, haha...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Very true.

Quote:
The tone was set. Smith also played a post to Johnson perfectly for another break-up and slammed into the line with his blitz to set up Griffen's red-zone sack. He was in the box on the first play when SS Jamarca Sanford ( got flagged for a 56-yard interference penalty. DC Alan Williams didn't press his luck again, playing tons of two- and three-deep coverages rolled Johnson's way.

There are more quotes on p2 of this thread relative to this game and the breakdown of the tape is posted.

Well there is that then.
Yfz01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:

I actually like what we are doing with our safeties. With Mistral Raymond back with Smith, Smith spent time in the box. With Sanford back there with Smith, Sanford spent time in the box..

I just assumed Smith was our best deep cover guy, that's why he's played deep so much when Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss were in the game, over the last two weeks.

Lil Uno with the sig.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yfz01 wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:

I actually like what we are doing with our safeties. With Mistral Raymond back with Smith, Smith spent time in the box. With Sanford back there with Smith, Sanford spent time in the box..

I just assumed Smith was our best deep cover guy, that's why he's played deep so much when Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss were in the game, over the last two weeks.

I think that is just how the scheme is going to be. When the Vikes play an offense that has a receiver who is capable of breaking a game open, there will be more frequent cover 2 looks. When the Vikes play an offense that lacks a legit deep threat and could be a strong run team, you will likely see more Cover 3 looks where one Safety is playing in the box.

The benefit of having two Safetys who can play deep and in the box is you can disguise who is doing what on every given play. When Raymond is in the game, Smith has to be the one going into the box because Raymond is just too weak to play in the box. Sanford has ability to play in the box so I could see the Safetys being more innerchangeable with Sanford in the lineup.

That is why I would advocate for a player like TJ McDonald to complete the defense and give Minnesota another Safety who can play deep or in the box.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like we are playing to the players strength, as one poster mentioned. I love that.

Overall, this defense looks in sync. Everyone is playing together, where as last year it looked like it was all thrown together, and it was 3 seperate defenses out there. This time, we are 1 unit.

Now if we could only catch those damn errant passes! lol

Not your typical Vikings anymore. (maybe I was wrong...)
Nzd07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The linebacking corps sure has been a surprise, specifically Brinkley. He isn't anything special, and his coverage skills lack, but he's a good tackler and does a good job of sniffing out the run. I think a lot of that has to do with Williams and Singletary, preparing an obvious under-qualified starter for week 1.

Jamarca Sanford has had a few big hits this year, too bad he sucks in coverage. If Blanton doesn't show much, wouldn't mind looking at a safety in round 2. Still, if we're going defense in R2, I'd think it would be BPA except for DE.

Gurley to MN
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nzd07 wrote:
The linebacking corps sure has been a surprise, specifically Brinkley. He isn't anything special, and his coverage skills lack, but he's a good tackler and does a good job of sniffing out the run. I think a lot of that has to do with Williams and Singletary, preparing an obvious under-qualified starter for week 1.

Jamarca Sanford has had a few big hits this year, too bad he sucks in coverage. If Blanton doesn't show much, wouldn't mind looking at a safety in round 2. Still, if we're going defense in R2, I'd think it would be BPA except for DE.

I would never rule out DE, given where the strength of this defense has to be (front four pass rush). Especially considering that Allen, Griffen and Robison are all free agents in 2014 and both Allen and Robison (soon) are over 30. Probably cant keep them all. Granted there are bigger needs, but youve always got to keep an eye on those pass rushers coming out, every year.

Look at the Giants over the years, they always stock up on early picks at DE and get good production out of them.
dc_vikingfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta give Williams credit for doing one thing he stated from the start of TC. That is making the scheme simple to understand so the players can react faster. This Vikings defense actually fly to the ball. The number of fumbles are rising because of it. So many times in previous years a player would catch the ball and there would only be one player on the tackle.
Kellerman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Nzd07 wrote:

I would never rule out DE, given where the strength of this defense has to be (front four pass rush). Especially considering that Allen, Griffen and Robison are all free agents in 2014 and both Allen and Robison (soon) are over 30. Probably cant keep them all. Granted there are bigger needs, but youve always got to keep an eye on those pass rushers coming out, every year.

Look at the Giants over the years, they always stock up on early picks at DE and get good production out of them.

Agreed, DE is a need that's going to sneak up on us in a year or two. We can probably put off going high for one just this year, but we need to keep an eye out for 2nd - 4th round DE's that can develop into starters.

If we can find a WR and DT this year, then DE would be high on my list in 2014.

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since allowing a 30-yard TD pass from Andrew Luck to Reggie Wayne late in the first half of their Week 2 loss in Indianapolis, the Vikings defense has been on the field for 27 possessions and has given up only two touchdowns and six field goals. In that time, the defense has forced 12 punts and created four takeaways.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/172274031.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Since allowing a 30-yard TD pass from Andrew Luck to Reggie Wayne late in the first half of their Week 2 loss in Indianapolis, the Vikings defense has been on the field for 27 possessions and has given up only two touchdowns and six field goals. In that time, the defense has forced 12 punts and created four takeaways.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/172274031.html

Mn has the making off a tough defense, its a nice sight to see.

Looking at the schedule; MN has some very poor QBs coming up ahead (Hasselbeck, RGIII (rookie), Freeman, Wilson, Stafford (maybe he turns it around?).

Point being, MN really has the potential to really climb the rankings.

My concern with the defense has been the lack of Interceptions and the poor play on Third Down. Offenses are still having success on third down against the Vikes.
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who watched the Vikings slog through the 2010 and 2011 seasons can see this group is playing with more confidence and aggressiveness, especially in contesting passes. Unofficially, the Vikings batted down or tipped away 9 of Matt Hasselbeck's 43 throws. They also sacked him twice and hit him five times, unofficially.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/47432/rapid-reaction-vikings-30-titans-7

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The defense, led by Alan Williams, is the backbone of this team. Clearly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 4 of 28

Jump to: