Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st Quarter Mock (3-1)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: 1st Quarter Mock (3-1) Reply with quote

Ok so we are a quarter of the way into the regular season so it’s time for my first mock of the year…sitting at 3-1 so I have us picking somewhere between 24-32…here goes…

Resign…

OG…Lance Louis
OG…Chilo Rachal
LS…Patrick Mannelly
UT…Henry Melton
UT…Amobi Okoye
DE…Israel Idonije
LB…Nick Roach
CB…D.J Moore
CB…Kelvin Hayden

Let Walk…

Jason Campbell
Johnny Knox
Chris Williams
Chris Spencer
Geno Hayes
Brian Urlacher

Free Agents…

The potential free agent class isn’t overly strong…there are a number of good LTs available but right now I think Webb has played well enough in 3 of the 4 games to warrant passing on spending the money to grab a guy like Long, Clady, Albert or the guy I would go after if things change Bushrod…I reckon we only go after a few mid-range guys at this point and look to retain our own guys and build through the draft…

CB…Keenan Lewis…6-0” 208lbs…

Jennings has been outstanding to start the season and Tillman is his usual consistent self but you can never have enough good DBs…not only that but Peanut has a cap figure of over $9 million next season…I’m not so sure he ever sees that figure so signing a young up & coming CB would be a good move…I have liked Lewis since he came out of Oregon State…he brings good size to the position and is very physical when coming up to play the run…not only that but he has shown the coverage skills to play in a scheme like ours…having started this year under LeBeau you know he is a smart well coached player who understands zone concepts…Pitt will most likely like to keep him but they are always pushed up against the cap so he could be available.

QB…Brady Quinn…6-3” 235lbs…

I would like to keep Campbell as our backup but I see him getting a shot to start somewhere next season…Matt Moore would be my 2nd choice but again I reckon he will go somewhere he has a shot to start…Quinn would come in as a clear #2 with a defined role…hopefully he would never see the field but he would be solid enough for a game or two in our scheme with a strong running game.

Draft…

Round 1…

MLB…C.J. Mosley…6-2” 235lbs…Alabama…

I sucks to have to say we should let Urlacher go but the time has come to move on to another option…Manti Te’o would be the ideal pick but I can’t see him being on the board where we are projected to pick…so we go to a well-coached LB from the most dominating team in college football…Mosley is an athletic LB who excels in coverage and has real sideline to sideline speed…Mosley isn’t a vocal leader but he leads by example…if he doesn’t declare I would like to see us go after another two juniors…Kevin Minter out of LSU or Alec Ogletree out of Georgia

Round 2…

OG…Jonathan Cooper…6-3” 310lbs…North Carolina…

Our offence has a ton of talent at the skill position and the D has been outstanding this year so it’s time to invest in the Oline once and for all…the Oline play has been solid in 3 of the 4 games this year but LG is still an issue…Cooper is an explosive player with excellent movement skills who gets to the 2nd level with ease…in many ways he reminds me of a more refined Lance Louis…tough & athletic with a nasty streak…he would solidify the LG spot and hopefully form a tandem with Webb for years to come.

Round 4…

OT…Eric Fisher…6-7” 305lbs…Central Michigan…

One of my favourite Oline prospects this year Fisher is projected to go in this range right now…but come draft time I reckon he could go much higher…so much so if Webb starts to consistently struggle I would have no problem grabbing Fisher in the 2nd round…he is a long, athletic, strong, nasty, tough technician who has the talent to play LT at the next level…if he does go unnoticed and is around this late he should be our pick regardless of how well Webb plays as he has plenty of positional value and would be a great backup tackle to push both our tackles for a long time…check out this video of him playing LT against Iowa…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj1DXoNaiw0

Round 5…

SLB…Jake Knott…6-2” 240lbs…Iowa State…

Even after picking up Mosley we could still use some depth at the LB position…Knott is a highly productive LB who would make a perfect SLB in our scheme…more athletic than most think Knott would not only compete for a starting LB position down the road but he will be a stand out ST player.

Round 6…

DE…Walter Stewart…6-3” 250lbs…Cincinnati…

Classic late round pick…Stewart is a great athlete who could be redshirted for a year allowing him to add some weight and work on developing some moves under Marinelli…more than likely he doesn’t become anything but you never know…look at fellow Cinncy grad Trent Cole.

Depth Chart…

QB…Jay Cutler…Brady Quinn…Matt Blanchard
RB…Matt Forte…Michael Bush…Armando Allen
FB…Evan Rodriguez
WR…Brandon Marshall…Devin Hester
WR…Alshon Jeffery…Dan Sanzenbacher
Slot…Earl Bennett…Eric Weems
TE…Kellen Davis…Matt Spaeth…Kyle Adams
LT…J'Marcus Webb…Eric Fisher
LG…Jonathan Cooper…Chilo Rachal
C…Roberto Garza…Edwin Williams
RG…Lance Louis
RT…Gabe Carimi

LE…Israel Idonije…Shea McClellin…Walter Stewart
UT…Henry Melton…Amobi Okoye
NT…Stephen Paea…Matt Toeaina
RE…Julius Peppers…Corey Wootton
SLB…Nick Roach…Jake Knott
MLB…C.J. Mosley…Blake Costanzo
WLB…Lance Briggs…JT Thomas
NB…D.J Moore
CB…Charles Tillman…Keenan Lewis…Sherrick McManis
CB…Tim Jennings…Kelvin Hayden
SS…Major Wright…Brandon Hardin…Anthony Walters
FS…Chris Conte…Craig Steltz

P...Adam Podlesh
K...Robbie Gould
LS...Patrick Mannelly
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only way I don't see #54 on this roster next year is if he retires. I just can't envision a scenario where he is allowed to just walk as a FA, maybe that's the right call, maybe it isn't, but he's been the face of the franchise and I believe he's earned the right to leave under his terms. And while he may not be the physical specimen he once was, he's still a very heady player and able to put the defense in better position.

I'm pretty good w/ the picks, I can't see Knott getting out of the 3rd, but I may be a little to close to the situation, but he's such a disruptive LB.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Only way I don't see #54 on this roster next year is if he retires. I just can't envision a scenario where he is allowed to just walk as a FA, maybe that's the right call, maybe it isn't, but he's been the face of the franchise and I believe he's earned the right to leave under his terms. And while he may not be the physical specimen he once was, he's still a very heady player and able to put the defense in better position.

I'm pretty good w/ the picks, I can't see Knott getting out of the 3rd, but I may be a little to close to the situation, but he's such a disruptive LB.

To be honest that’s what I’m seeing…I don’t think he plays for another team…the knee just isn’t giving him the chance to play at the level he wants to and for a great player that can be really tough to take…Urlacher has nothing to prove…he is a HoFer 5 years from when he retires…times to spend some time with the family and enjoy the fruits of his labour.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching Urlacher chase Witten around I am expecting him to retire because be looks like a shadow of himself.

I think OL and LB are the 2 biggest needs but I might reverse the positions in the draft for 2 reasons,

1. Biggs mentioned in his article today that scouts are talking about how many elite OGs are in this draft he said that the scouts said there are 3 1st round OGs. My guess Chance Warmack, Barrett Jones and John Cooper.

2. I doubt Lovie will start a rookie LB and we may have a year of Roach in the middle because Lovie trusts him.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
After watching Urlacher chase Witten around I am expecting him to retire because be looks like a shadow of himself.

I think OL and LB are the 2 biggest needs but I might reverse the positions in the draft for 2 reasons,

1. Biggs mentioned in his article today that scouts are talking about how many elite OGs are in this draft he said that the scouts said there are 3 1st round OGs. My guess Chance Warmack, Barrett Jones and John Cooper.

2. I doubt Lovie will start a rookie LB and we may have a year of Roach in the middle because Lovie trusts him.

I would agree that in terms of talent Warmack, Cooper & Barrett are all top 32 players…but every year we see guards falling because of positional value…Barrett could have the potential to play RT in the pros but Warmack & Cooper are interior guys only…Warmack is the best Olinemen in this year’s draft so I reckon he will go round 1 too but I think there is a decent chance Copper is available late 2nd because of that positional value and there being several good players available at more important positions…

I don’t see Lovie having a problem starting a rookie at any spot as long as he earns it…he started Conte at FS which Lovie has stated is a very difficult position to play in this scheme as a rookie so I don’t see him having an issue with starting someone as talented as Mosley…especially when you consider he has been coached by Nick Saban in a pro scheme.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like many other Notre Dame players who go pro, Brady Quinn is awful.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1[28] OG/C Barrett Jones [Alabama] 6'5" 310lbs.

Jones gives the Bears a player that can play C, OG and RT. He has played C, RG and LT, where he won the Outland Trophy, in college for one of the most dominant teams in college football. Jones reminds me of Logan Mankins as he is a physical technician who rarely gets beat. Jones can step in at LG and can step in at C depending on what the Bears want to do.

2[60] LB Alec Ogletree [Georgia] 6'3" 235lbs.

Ogletree is a converted safety and he can do 2 things exceptionally well. If anyone watched the Tennessee game Ogletree showed that he can run and he can cover. The Bears need a player that can cover the middle of the field and can run the seam and Ogeltree can do all of those things.

4. LB Kenny Tate [Maryland] 6'4" 230lbs.

Another converted safety that can flat out fly down around the field and can cover. Tate is an elite athlete that can be groomed at the WLB position and provides a ton of length in the passing lanes.

5. CB Travis Carrie [Ohio] 5'11" 210lbs.

The Bears need to continue to add developmental players to develop behind Tillman and Jennings to groom to compete to start when Tillman leaves. Carrie is a thick, physical CB that can tackle.

6. OT Ried Fragel [Ohio St] 6'7" 315lbs.

A developmental OT with the Big Ten pedigree that can be worked at LT and developed as a swing tackle. Fragel has the physical tools that you can work with being a recently converted TE. Has LT movement skills that can be developed.

Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Like many other Notre Dame players who go pro, Brady Quinn is awful.

Yeah but the rest of the experienced backups aren't any better.
DaMike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mosley and Cooper would be a homerun. I think Cooper could be the best OG for our scheme in this draft.
topwop1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice mock and all, and I do agree that we need to draft an eventual replacement for Urlacher, but I just want to clear something up first.

Ok we all know that Brian suffered a pretty significant MCL injury at the end of last season. Now what I don't get is how everyone is saying that he has these supposed "knee problems" and that he wont be able to play in NFL for much longer.

Is Brian known to have had recurring significant knee problems throughout the course of his NFL career? Correct me if I'm wrong but last year's injury seems to be the first of that kind for Urlacher in his career. The only other significant injuries I can recall from him are a dislocated wrist that required season ending surgery, and an arthritic back condition which hasn't seemed to been bothering him the past couple of seasons.

So with all that being said, why are we to assume that Urlacher wont be able to play at least 1 or 2 more years after this one? Yes, it's pretty obvious that he's not getting any younger and that he's not his old self this year, but let's remember that he's only about 9 or so months removed from that MCL injury and just had arthroscopic surgery on the same knee in early August. He's also 3 years younger than his fellow LB Ray Lewis who's had his fair share of injuries throughout his career and no one seems to be clamoring for him to retire as much as I'm hearing for Urlacher.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a little premature to be making conclusions that Lach wont be back in action for the Bears next season and maybe beyond?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like this mock. With only 5 picks, I expect us to trade down in round 1 and/or 2. LB and O-line is obviously our biggest needs. However I doubt we draft 2 O-linemen or LBs We could still use some DE/DT help(cant have too many pass rushers) A WR and/or pass catching TE would be good as well(cant have too many weapons, look at GB)
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
So with all that being said, why are we to assume that Urlacher wont be able to play at least 1 or 2 more years after this one? Yes, it's pretty obvious that he's not getting any younger and that he's not his old self this year, but let's remember that he's only about 9 or so months removed from that MCL injury and just had arthroscopic surgery on the same knee in early August. He's also 3 years younger than his fellow LB Ray Lewis who's had his fair share of injuries throughout his career and no one seems to be clamoring for him to retire as much as I'm hearing for Urlacher.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a little premature to be making conclusions that Lach wont be back in action for the Bears next season and maybe beyond?

Obviously it’s only an assumption that Urlacher won’t play after this season but looking at the evidence of the first four games you have to think it is more likely that he calls it quits because of the knee rather than playing on…I know from personal experience how frustration it can be to once be at the top of your game then come back from injury and not be able to perform like you once did…I played rugby to a very high level before tearing up my knee…I rehabbed as hard as anyone I mentality wanted to get back to where I was but once I got back into games it just wasn’t the same…guys who a year before couldn’t have matched my game were on my level or better…no matter how hard you push yourself to continue to get stronger and faster if you can’t get back to where you once were you suffer mentally…you know you were once better than these guys…your brain says “yeah I can take that angle and make a tackle” but your body doesn’t get there in time…Urlacher is more than likely feeling the same when he watched an RB get outside him of a TE run away from him in coverage who last year wouldn’t have been able to…I played for about 6 months after I came back and then left because I hated knowing that I couldn’t do what I once did…now everyone’s personality is different and Brian might think he has 2 or even 3 years left but then it becomes a management decision…as much as we all have an emotional attachment to Urlacher…hell he is the reason I watch American Football and became a Bears fan…no man is bigger than the franchise…if Urlacher wants to come back next year and the coaching staff feel he is still capable of playing the position better than anyone we could sign or draft then great…but if he wants to come back at his current price of $7.5 million can the FO really justify that? Personally I don’t think his play so far this season would warrant that contract…if he says I’ll come back for $4-$5 million then sure…but as I said we have to put the franchise first and Urlacher has to put his health first…he has nothing to prove anymore…he is a hall of fame player 5 years after he retires…he has made millions…why not take the health you have and spent time with your family…especially when you consider some of the problems former players like Junior Seau & Dave Duerson had after leaving the game…there is far more to life than Football.
topwop1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:

Obviously it’s only an assumption that Urlacher won’t play after this season but looking at the evidence of the first four games you have to think it is more likely that he calls it quits because of the knee rather than playing on…I know from personal experience how frustration it can be to once be at the top of your game then come back from injury and not be able to perform like you once did…I played rugby to a very high level before tearing up my knee…I rehabbed as hard as anyone I mentality wanted to get back to where I was but once I got back into games it just wasn’t the same…guys who a year before couldn’t have matched my game were on my level or better…no matter how hard you push yourself to continue to get stronger and faster if you can’t get back to where you once were you suffer mentally…you know you were once better than these guys…your brain says “yeah I can take that angle and make a tackle” but your body doesn’t get there in time…Urlacher is more than likely feeling the same when he watched an RB get outside him of a TE run away from him in coverage who last year wouldn’t have been able to…I played for about 6 months after I came back and then left because I hated knowing that I couldn’t do what I once did…now everyone’s personality is different and Brian might think he has 2 or even 3 years left but then it becomes a management decision…as much as we all have an emotional attachment to Urlacher…hell he is the reason I watch American Football and became a Bears fan…no man is bigger than the franchise…if Urlacher wants to come back next year and the coaching staff feel he is still capable of playing the position better than anyone we could sign or draft then great…but if he wants to come back at his current price of $7.5 million can the FO really justify that? Personally I don’t think his play so far this season would warrant that contract…if he says I’ll come back for $4-$5 million then sure…but as I said we have to put the franchise first and Urlacher has to put his health first…he has nothing to prove anymore…he is a hall of fame player 5 years after he retires…he has made millions…why not take the health you have and spent time with your family…especially when you consider some of the problems former players like Junior Seau & Dave Duerson had after leaving the game…there is far more to life than Football.

I respect your points and all but just want you to keep in mind that no two people are alike and different bodies react in different ways to injuries, trauma, surgery, rehab, etc. Also, with all due respect, Urlacher is a professional athlete playing in the biggest professional sports league in the world and is exposed to the best of the best of training routines, rehabilitation and treatment plans. Not really a great comparison, but again I understand where your coming from. I guess we'll just have to wait and see until after this season what happens with him.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been predicting that Urlacher is retiring after the year since training camp and I still believe that, especially after seeing him play this year. He doesn't look nearly like the same player.

Adopt-a-Bear: Martellus Bennett, TE
Rec: 77 Yds: 821 TD: 6

AZBearsFan wrote:

He's a playmaker though, and we can use more of those in the Devin.Fart
Madmike90

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topwop1 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
topwop1 wrote:

I respect your points and all but just want you to keep in mind that no two people are alike and different bodies react in different ways to injuries, trauma, surgery, rehab, etc. Also, with all due respect, Urlacher is a professional athlete playing in the biggest professional sports league in the world and is exposed to the best of the best of training routines, rehabilitation and treatment plans. Not really a great comparison, but again I understand where your coming from. I guess we'll just have to wait and see until after this season what happens with him.

As I wrote before everyone’s personality is different but Urlacher’s body clearly isn’t reacting well to the injury, surgery or the rehab…as I said we all have an emotional attachment to Urlacher but the evidence so far isn’t looking good and we have to be realistic towards any player.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: