Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Greg Cossell not a fan of the 49ers offense.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scraly47*

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the playoffs start, Colin Kaepernick will be the 49ers' starting quarterback
The 49ers came very close to the Super Bowl last year with Alex Smith at quarterback, but two generally unrepeatable aspects -- a huge advantage in turnover breakdown and a great deal of injury luck -- may have Jim Harbaugh's team requiring more of its passing offense this year. And though Smith has proven to be an effective "Don't-screw-it-up" guy in Harbaugh's system, he's still struggling to fit simple passes into tight windows, a skill required of every great NFL quarterback. In their 34-0 beatdown of the New York Jets on Sunday, Harbaugh rolled Kaepernick, a second-round pick in 2011, out on the field to poke Rex Ryan in the eye, but there's more to the Nevada alum's game than running around the field. Kaepernick is raw, but he can make every throw, and don't be surprised if Harbaugh decides that the risks involved in a more expansive passing game can be outweighed by the team's great running game and defense.

part of a yahoo article I read.

-Lork
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:
Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
Miami49er wrote:
Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
Did I actually see someone post they wouldnt mind seeing someone get hurt in order for someone else to get into the game? SMDH. There is a reason why we havent taken shots down the field and thats b\c we havent needed to. We did it in the Saints game b\c we needed to. The playcalling right now is designed to protect the ball. Tight formations. We are 3-1 but let some of you tell it the sky is falling. How quickly people forget.
we HAVE needed to take some shots down the field. he tried throwing deep a couple of times on Sunday but he can't seem to hit anyone deep not named VD. every offense needs to take shots down the field. if our defense wasn't this good we would not be 3-1 with this offense.

So it was the defense that put up 30 points on the Packers and 27 on the Lions? Out of that 57 points in those two games Alex accounted for 28. I dont get what the big deal is right now. Its not the most wide open offense in the NFL, but anyone who seen this offense at Stanford knows its not the most explosive vertical offense. It is a traditional WCO. I think the connection with the deep ball will come. It has only been off by a half a step of so last game. Not to mention Kyle wilson held up the WR's on a couple of occasions.
so through 4 games we only have 1 TD pass to a WR. that's not a problem to you? you know hwy it doesn't seem like we need to throw deep? because our defense and running ability covers up the fact that we can't seem to throw more than 20 yards. not saying we can't win or we won't be able to go to the playoffs but once we get to the playoffs this offense NEEDS to more explosive than it is. you can't tell me every Niner fan wasn't expecting more explosiveness on offense after the upgrade on offense. Harbaugh and Baalke signed Moss a Manningham and drafted AJ Jenkins for a reason. Harbaugh and Baalke went hard after Peyton Manning for a reason. because Harbaugh does want a more effective passing game.

This is exactly what people said about us last year yet we handled NO just fine and if it weren't for the injury to Ginn we would have handled NY too. It is what is - just what Harbaugh wants it to be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scraly47* wrote:
When the playoffs start, Colin Kaepernick will be the 49ers' starting quarterback
The 49ers came very close to the Super Bowl last year with Alex Smith at quarterback, but two generally unrepeatable aspects -- a huge advantage in turnover breakdown and a great deal of injury luck -- may have Jim Harbaugh's team requiring more of its passing offense this year. And though Smith has proven to be an effective "Don't-screw-it-up" guy in Harbaugh's system, he's still struggling to fit simple passes into tight windows, a skill required of every great NFL quarterback. In their 34-0 beatdown of the New York Jets on Sunday, Harbaugh rolled Kaepernick, a second-round pick in 2011, out on the field to poke Rex Ryan in the eye, but there's more to the Nevada alum's game than running around the field. Kaepernick is raw, but he can make every throw, and don't be surprised if Harbaugh decides that the risks involved in a more expansive passing game can be outweighed by the team's great running game and defense.

the writing is on the wall it seems. We rarely saw Kaep last year and now he's been in a few games already for us. I have a feeling we might be seeing more and more from him as the season rolls along. Kaep could very well be our guy before the season is over.

Thanks to Peppers90 on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
big9erfan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yfz01 wrote:

I was watching a few quarterbacks on Sunday and I kept saying to myself, "Alex would NEVER make that throw..."..

Yeah, I know what you mean. I thought the same thing over and over when I watched the Dallas game. Then again when I wondered how Seattle lost and watched the highlights and said it over and over again "Alex would NEVER make that throw".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
scraly47* wrote:

the writing is on the wall it seems. We rarely saw Kaep last year and now he's been in a few games already for us. I have a feeling we might be seeing more and more from him as the season rolls along. Kaep could very well be our guy before the season is over.

idk if it will happen this year but I think next year we will probably see it happen. Alex will have to have horrible multi-games before Jim pulls him. I drool at the thought of having Gore, hunter/James lined up in the pistol with Kap.....

-Lork
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scraly47* wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:
scraly47* wrote:

idk if it will happen this year but I think next year we will probably see it happen. Alex will have to have horrible multi-games before Jim pulls him. I drool at the thought of having Gore, hunter/James lined up in the pistol with Kap.....
The future! Me and my buddy were going nuts when Kaep was in there. I kept saying "the future".

"Keep choppin' wood"
cHaInBrEaKeRiii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its funny to me how some of you guys are saying that fans not content with 3-1. Every niner fan in this forum and everywhere is happy that were 3-1. Find me one niner fan that's not happy because were 3-1...you prolly can't. It's the passing game that a lot of the 9ers fans are not happy with. Last year we didn't have any WRs etc etc were the reasons were didn't take deep shots and not having an explosive offense.

But this year, after adding guys like Mario and Randy that can stretch the field, its silly to think that we'll run the same ole vanilla offense. I think the offense changed. When Moss is on the field, most of the time he's running a deep route.. and manningham is also running intermediate to deep routes (most of the time).. it's the qb that don't want to throw deep and take a chance. Manninham also said that Alex and WRs are still not gelling yet.

I think the reason we don't do play actions is because Harbaugh don't trust Alex to make those throws.

Don't say I'm Alex Smith hater because I want to see a good offense. All I'm saying is .. Alex leaves a lot on the field by locking on the first read, by not steeping into the pocket, but not taking chances down the field, by getting happy feet.. and Oh.. I'm happy that were 3-1.. I wish our offense is a little better..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinerNation21 wrote:
This is just another example of people around the NFL not liking creativity and thinking outside the box. What i take from this article is that we should not let our WR's run end arounds and not allow our insanely athletic backup QB see the field. We should line up in the same formations every play and force it to work. BE BORING!

I really dont understand why creating unique plays to catch the defense off guard has always been a bad thing. I personally love it when we do stuff like this. Its like your favorite team just scored off a trick play and opposing fans are like "Oh, well you have to resort to tricks to beat us, you cant just line up and play normal" Why cant that be normal? Why is it such a bad thing to be creative??? Why cant the opposing fan say " wow, that was a really awesome play that i've never seen before and it totally killed our defense" I just dont understand why the people around the NFL want to be so boring. This is the whole reason why Tebow is hated so much. Hes different and we dont like change so get out.

totally agree. Personally, I'm a fan of whoever's under center, be it alex, kap, whoever. This reminds me of the saints playoff game last year when one of tje saint's defensive players called alex a game manager after the game and alex responded with the fact that he "managed" his way to victory. If we dink and dunk all day, so be it. Fact is we're WINNING. We're winning and guys want to complain that the players on their fantasy teams arent puting up big numbers.
sbrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats sad is that every team in every league looks at their weak point and try to upgrade or improve on it. The heat win the championship but say we have to get better outside shooting. the SF giants win the title and say we have to get better hitting. usain bolt breaks a world record and says I have to get a better start. Well when looking at our team,, our defense is top 5, special teams is top 5 running game is top 10 BUT our passing game is bottom 10. But yet when we suggest we need to improve on it, it becomes a argument. why???

you guys who are quick to defend alex and act as if people arent happy with 3-1. every 49er fan is happy with it. We all want to win the SB. we all dont care who is the QB is either . Our loyalty (at least mine) is to the 49ers. I would be happy as heck to win the SB with Alex smith at the helm...or Kaep or whoever, But to suggest that our passing game is perfect and doesnt need improving is being blind. Last year at this time our running game was struggling and we talked about improving our running game with frank gore....frank freaking gore, our all time leading rusher and pro bowler. yet we didnt have a problem asking for more from him. but yet we cant talk about this same philosophy about our passing game...why, because its alex smith?? Even the best in the world look to improve their weakness. Michael Jordan once said "i went into every season trying to improve my weakness into my strength until I no longer had a weakness, and then I did it all over again".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:
whats sad is that every team in every league looks at their weak point and try to upgrade or improve on it. The heat win the championship but say we have to get better outside shooting. the SF giants win the title and say we have to get better hitting. usain bolt breaks a world record and says I have to get a better start. Well when looking at our team,, our defense is top 5, special teams is top 5 running game is top 10 BUT our passing game is bottom 10. But yet when we suggest we need to improve on it, it becomes a argument. why???

you guys who are quick to defend alex and act as if people arent happy with 3-1. every 49er fan is happy with it. We all want to win the SB. we all dont care who is the QB is either . Our loyalty (at least mine) is to the 49ers. I would be happy as heck to win the SB with Alex smith at the helm...or Kaep or whoever, But to suggest that our passing game is perfect and doesnt need improving is being blind. Last year at this time our running game was struggling and we talked about improving our running game with frank gore....frank freaking gore, our all time leading rusher and pro bowler. yet we didnt have a problem asking for more from him. but yet we cant talk about this same philosophy about our passing game...why, because its alex smith?? Even the best in the world look to improve their weakness. Michael Jordan once said "i went into every season trying to improve my weakness into my strength until I no longer had a weakness, and then I did it all over again".

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbrown wrote:

Outstanding post... those of us Alex Smith "haters" don't actually hate him. We would just like to see improvement from the quarterback position to a point where we can consistently convert decent yardage situations and hit the wide open deep ball, which is there every game. If it's Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick or Cody freakin' Pickett I couldn't possibly care less.

Beast
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It's not hate for our QB. We as fans want more from that aspect of our offense. I hope the coaches start to take the handcuffs off of Alex because these close games will end up biting us in the rear.

"Keep choppin' wood"
oldman9er

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallofRome wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
record: 3-1

and three of the four were on the road..

Smile everyone and trust in Harbaugh. If one QB isn't getting it done in his eyes? He will make an appropriate decision. Beyond that? People are wasting their energy on worries instead of simply soaking up a good start to the season. Smile

Gotta agree with you. I never thought that I'd log in here tonight and find this much discontent when the 9ers are 3-1. If we start losing from a lack of offense and can't mount comebacks, then I will be concerned. The Vikings game was awful but every team has bad games. Besides, what if Harbaugh threw in Kaep and began losing when he started 3-1? Better to make that substitution when there is cause for near-panic, I think.

Yep. And the bolded is a better way to phrase this.

___
sbrown

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
TheFallofRome wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
record: 3-1

and three of the four were on the road..

Smile everyone and trust in Harbaugh. If one QB isn't getting it done in his eyes? He will make an appropriate decision. Beyond that? People are wasting their energy on worries instead of simply soaking up a good start to the season. Smile

Gotta agree with you. I never thought that I'd log in here tonight and find this much discontent when the 9ers are 3-1. If we start losing from a lack of offense and can't mount comebacks, then I will be concerned. The Vikings game was awful but every team has bad games. Besides, what if Harbaugh threw in Kaep and began losing when he started 3-1? Better to make that substitution when there is cause for near-panic, I think.

Yep. And the bolded is a better way to phrase this.

but the irony is last season at this exact same point in the season we had the same questions about our running game. we were 2-1 and 3-1 but yet we were saying "if we dont get our running game and gore on track its going to be a long season. "whats going to happen if teams take away our passing game and we need to run and we cant". Everyone chimed in and there were NO arguments or finger pointing. we all were agreeing that we must get better in that department. There was also some for the Oline as well.

Now you fast forward exactly 1 year later and we as fans still have "discontent" about one facet of our team, however when it is the passing game, that topic becomes taboo. Thats not fair to us as fans, and not fair to the forum.

last season the packers forum was excited about their team, however there were topics about improving their defense and there was no volitility around that subject.

We shouldnt have dissention in regard to improving the team we all love.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big9erfan wrote:
Miami49er wrote:
Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
Miami49er wrote:
Gridirongreat#9 wrote:
Did I actually see someone post they wouldnt mind seeing someone get hurt in order for someone else to get into the game? SMDH. There is a reason why we havent taken shots down the field and thats b\c we havent needed to. We did it in the Saints game b\c we needed to. The playcalling right now is designed to protect the ball. Tight formations. We are 3-1 but let some of you tell it the sky is falling. How quickly people forget.
we HAVE needed to take some shots down the field. he tried throwing deep a couple of times on Sunday but he can't seem to hit anyone deep not named VD. every offense needs to take shots down the field. if our defense wasn't this good we would not be 3-1 with this offense.

So it was the defense that put up 30 points on the Packers and 27 on the Lions? Out of that 57 points in those two games Alex accounted for 28. I dont get what the big deal is right now. Its not the most wide open offense in the NFL, but anyone who seen this offense at Stanford knows its not the most explosive vertical offense. It is a traditional WCO. I think the connection with the deep ball will come. It has only been off by a half a step of so last game. Not to mention Kyle wilson held up the WR's on a couple of occasions.
so through 4 games we only have 1 TD pass to a WR. that's not a problem to you? you know hwy it doesn't seem like we need to throw deep? because our defense and running ability covers up the fact that we can't seem to throw more than 20 yards. not saying we can't win or we won't be able to go to the playoffs but once we get to the playoffs this offense NEEDS to more explosive than it is. you can't tell me every Niner fan wasn't expecting more explosiveness on offense after the upgrade on offense. Harbaugh and Baalke signed Moss a Manningham and drafted AJ Jenkins for a reason. Harbaugh and Baalke went hard after Peyton Manning for a reason. because Harbaugh does want a more effective passing game.

This is exactly what people said about us last year yet we handled NO just fine and if it weren't for the injury to Ginn we would have handled NY too. It is what is - just what Harbaugh wants it to be.

Yep, the Offense has the identity of it's coach--nothing more, nothing less. So, rather than point at Alex perhaps it's the design of our coach? Think

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: