Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Major Wright and Chris Conte

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Major Wright and Chris Conte Reply with quote

I think we are seeing the maturation of a very strong safety tandem before our eyes with Major Wright and Chris Conte.

There have been over 50 starting safety combinations since Lovie Smith has taken over as head coach and there seems to be a never ending carousel of injuries and incompetence.

But when Major Wright and Chris Conte start games beside each other the Bears allow an average QB rating of 64.5%.

And the Bears average, not the individual players, more than an interception a game.

I have also been impressed with how both are tackling this year and I thought we saw evidence of that in Dallas.

I think if they both stay healthy that we have found our starting safety tandem of the future.
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have played well, but I'm still nervous about Major being tested deep in coverage in the middle of the field. However, with that pass rush, maybe it doesn't happen all year.

The biggest thing is that Major looks much better, playing more under control and also catching the ball. Conte looks a little better and more confident than last year, as you would naturally assume he would be.
bears2308

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Wright and Chris Conte Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I think we are seeing the maturation of a very strong safety tandem before our eyes with Major Wright and Chris Conte.

There have been over 50 starting safety combinations since Lovie Smith has taken over as head coach and there seems to be a never ending carousel of injuries and incompetence.

But when Major Wright and Chris Conte start games beside each other the Bears allow an average QB rating of 64.5%.

And the Bears average, not the individual players, more than an interception a game.

I have also been impressed with how both are tackling this year and I thought we saw evidence of that in Dallas.

I think if they both stay healthy that we have found our starting safety tandem of the future.

I've thought Conte was solid but had my doubts about Major. He's beginning to prove me wrong but we'll see if that continues. It took Nick Collins and many other safeties a few years to get acclimated from college to the pro's. Maybe that is what we're witnessing? Also, my hat goes off to Tillman, Jennings, and Moore. What was once a poor secondary has become a strong suit. I think Peppers and Melton play a huge role in that coming about. Our defense as a whole is looking great and I'm loving it. When the offense and defense click this team is ELITE.
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue is keeping them on the field. Both keep getting hurt.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Perhaps not trying to destroy opponents with killing tackles can help them stay healthy. Nobody loves hitting more than I but if it costs us I will happily tone it down.

Between them and Steltz we can keep two good players on the field.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
DaMike wrote:
Perhaps not trying to destroy opponents with killing tackles can help them stay healthy. Nobody loves hitting more than I but if it costs us I will happily tone it down.

Bowler1215

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have played well this year. And if they both stay healthy, we might be set at safety since, uhh....
ConVict90

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be out of the loop a little bit but does everyone still hate Major Wright in this forum after Monday night?

TCKL-
SCK-
FF-
INT-
51to54

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny how much better the young safeties play to say nothing about how well Lovie's Cover Two works if the front four can put serious pressure on the QB and still control the run.

You probably can't have an elite defense without good safety play and this Bears' Defense is playing close to an elite level so our safeties have to being something on their own too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: