Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What position upgrade would yield the most improvement?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What position and player
Cornerback
55%
 55%  [ 25 ]
OLine
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Dline
15%
 15%  [ 7 ]
Quarterback
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Secondary
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Running back
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 45

big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
The only thing Geno does for me is make me salivate at the potential RG3-esque bonanza a trade would yield the Raiders! Could you imagine trading back (FOR ONCE) and still getting Milliner and picking up a '13 2nd & '14 1st?

btw where's Logan Thomas now? everyone's preseason heisman pick is hot garbage and stock is dropping like a rock.

Great thought. And that's just what the Raiders need. They need a bounty of draft picks to start rebuilding this roster top to bottom.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
The only thing Geno does for me is make me salivate at the potential RG3-esque bonanza a trade would yield the Raiders! Could you imagine trading back (FOR ONCE) and still getting Milliner and picking up a '13 2nd & '14 1st?

btw where's Logan Thomas now? everyone's preseason heisman pick is hot garbage and stock is dropping like a rock.

Great thought. And that's just what the Raiders need. They need a bounty of draft picks to start rebuilding this roster top to bottom.

Yep yep and yep.

Everyone wants the next RG3 or Luck. Personally trading down would be the best. We get more picks and a defensive player we need. If we do draft a QB I hope it's in the '14 draft.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we have a shot at a franchise QB, i hope we just draft him. It'll do more good than spending multiple picks on different positions.
If our new identity is run the ball and play defense, we'll probably pass on the QB though.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
If we have a shot at a franchise QB, i hope we just draft him. It'll do more good than spending multiple picks on different positions.
If our new identity is run the ball and play defense, we'll probably pass on the QB though.

You have to have a franchise QB in today's NFL. The consistent playoff teams have that guy. So taking a franchise QB wouldn't be the worst thing to do. If you are committed to rebuilding the franchise, then you need start at QB.

When is the last time the Raiders had a franchise QB? I mean seriously?

Palmer can stop-gap for 2-3 years IMO. So it's not a dire need.

I'm GM, I try to get a ransom for my top pick. Move back, add the pass rusher, CB and let Palmer hold the fort a couple more years. Maybe add a developmental passer under him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdigtheRaiders! wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Raidin wrote:
His cap hit will be $6.7m, if we have to pay that anyway he'll stick around.

McClain hasn't been right since the ankle and concussion. My concerns are more with his ability to stay healthy (especially behind a DL that can't keep him clean) with the chronic knee that required experimental injections of stem cells rather than his ability to play the game. Yet another example of why you don't draft a MLB with high draft picks. Anyone who would put Manti behind this dysfunctional DL obviously sadistically hate him.

Get your priorities straight. Even Teo would look bad in this defense. McClain is an exceptional large man with mobility, perhaps he could revive his career with a switch to a 34 OLB.

Was that at TC his rookie year? He's always been painfully slow and at times downright lethargic out there.

Saying he has mobility is laughable. He's a liability in pass coverage. TEs and RBs and just making him look stupid in space.

Apologize all you want for him. Make excuses. He's done nothing of value since joining this team. He sucks, period.

I agree however. You don't take a MLB that high in the draft. I like Te'o but not in the top 10-15 picks he'll likely go.

As much as I like Te'o, I too agree with that. We have bigger needs (on both sides of the ball) than LB.
That said, if McClain, Curry, and/or Wheeler all walk (and I hope we can keep Curry and Wheeler, but if we lose either of them + McClain), then LB suddenly becomes a rather large need unless the coaching staff is confident going forward with Burris and Goethel next season. But if Reggie is committed to drafting BPA and if Te'o is BPA when we're up in the first round, does Reggie still go for D-line or D-Back, or does he take an MLB who might potentially be the next Patrick Willis?

no he is not on willis's level. imo willis is the best lb in the nfl period. dude runs a 4.4 and can tackle like sing. willis types are very rare. he played his last year in college with his hand in a cast and still beasted and tackled people in the sec with only one hand. thats like boxing with one hand tied behind your back. i knew he was gonna be a savage.

I wonder what sing would say/do about rolo?

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Darbsk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather try and get an elite pass rusher in the 1st and a decent CB prospect later or in FA. We have Bartell and Spencer who can do a decent job, although too late for this season.

If we can get a good RDE and move Shaughnessy over to LDE we can have a double hit of better pressure and better coverage. If we just invest in a CB we hang him out to dry with no pressure and ruin his confidence.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:

I'm GM, I try to get a ransom for my top pick. Move back, add the pass rusher, CB and let Palmer hold the fort a couple more years. Maybe add a developmental passer under him.

Imo, if you feel there's a franchise type QB, you don't hesitate a second. You never know when you'll get your next shot at one. In this era of free agency and salary cap, the most effective way to build a long term winning team is around a QB. You can draft a ton of good to great players but the salary cap will make it impossible to keep them all. If you get that franchise QB, you'll obviously hold onto him for the next decade and the goal will be to keep recycling his supporting cast throughout those years.
Dreadymatt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Imo, if you feel there's a franchise type QB, you don't hesitate a second. You never know when you'll get your next shot at one. In this era of free agency and salary cap, the most effective way to build a long term winning team is around a QB. You can draft a ton of good to great players but the salary cap will make it impossible to keep them all. If you get that franchise QB, you'll obviously hold onto him for the next decade and the goal will be to keep recycling his supporting cast throughout those years.

And hope its not a JaWalrus pick
Dessie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Yup I would agree with that. If he isn't there then I am going BPA and try and execute a couple of trade downs to get some picks. We need depth and more depth. Use FA to fill needs.
#clueless
Chali21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadymatt wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

That is my biggest concern about this draft.

Barkley reminds me of Quinn and Smith reminds me of Russell.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
Dreadymatt wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Smith was a solid QB as a junior. He comes back as a senior, shows improved accuracy on deep and intermediate throws. He's chasing a Heisman trophy and has gotten off to a fast start.

Smith is also knows as a film junkie. His leadership and work ethic praised unanimously at West VA.

If you are drawing that comparison, you clearly haven't paid any attention to Geno Smith. None. He's a similar player to RGIII, little slower but same intangibles.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
Dreadymatt wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Smith was a solid QB as a junior. He comes back as a senior, shows improved accuracy on deep and intermediate throws. He's chasing a Heisman trophy and has gotten off to a fast start.

Smith is also knows as a film junkie. His leadership and work ethic praised unanimously at West VA.

If you are drawing that comparison, you clearly haven't paid any attention to Geno Smith. None. He's a similar player to RGIII, little slower but same intangibles.

Actually you're right I haven't heard anything about him. I meant that he reminds me of Russell in that he just came out of nowhere to me. However if he's anything like RG3 and we are in position to take him..It'll be a tough choice on draft day.
oakdb36

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dreadymatt wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Good thing is, with the new CBA, it wouldn't hurt us as badly if we were to draft another bust QB. Still, let's not have a repeat.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Dreadymatt wrote:
oakdb36 wrote:
big_palooka wrote:

Good thing is, with the new CBA, it wouldn't hurt us as badly if we were to draft another bust QB. Still, let's not have a repeat.

This. Plus I don't think Reggie will fall for a prospect who's heart isn't in it.

Even w/ the limited picks he had. Each one of them really gets after it and seem to love the game.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DL

Buuuut how about we do something, cut him I don't care, with McClain and draft Manti Te'o.
Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: